The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: Dimebag Darrell (1966-2004) + Vinnie Paul (1964-2018)
PostPosted: Sun December 08, 2013 9:17 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

9yrs ago today

Last edited by Stickman on Sat June 23, 2018 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Dimebag Darrell (1966-2004)
PostPosted: Sun December 08, 2013 9:24 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

So crazy still to think that he was killed on stage

PostPosted: Sun December 08, 2013 10:01 pm 
Rank This Poster

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
So crazy still to think that he was killed on stage

Wow, I didn't know about this. Just read about it on wikipedia, pretty nuts.

PostPosted: Sun December 08, 2013 10:11 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 WWW  Profile

I'll always feel bummed out about never seeing Pantera live for as long as I live.

RIP Dime :peace:

PostPosted: Sun December 08, 2013 10:23 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bob Loblaw wrote:
I'll always feel bummed out about never seeing Pantera live for as long as I live.

RIP Dime :peace:

Same here. They toured this city in the early oughts and I was out of town for it. One of my biggest regrets.

PostPosted: Sun December 08, 2013 10:24 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Tue December 09, 2014 6:04 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Phil Anselmo Remembers Dimebag Darrell: 'I Think of Him Every Day'
On the 10th anniversary of the guitarist's death, Pantera's former vocalist pays tribute

By Philip Anselmo | December 8, 2014

I remember Dimebag as a warrior. He was not only an incredible guitar player and personality but also within the Pantera gang of band members and road crew, he was a very dynamic personality, always very demanding of everybody. And he had a magic way of showing you his appreciation.

The way he went out, using the word "murder" is always a stark, cold, hideous thing. None of this shit gets easier for me. It actually keeps getting tougher and tougher. For me, personally, I've yet to come to terms with it. I don't see the sense. I don't see the everything-happens-for-a-reason attitude. This year is the toughest yet.

But when I think about Dimebag, 99 percent of the time, it's always the hilarious great times, and then one percent of the time it's regrettable times, on my part. I think of Dime every day of my life. I'm a vivid dreamer and he's in a lot of my dreams. When I dream about Dimebag, it's always good times back when we used to travel in the blue van or his souped-up yellow Camaro, where he would just terrorize his little Arlington, Texas, neighborhood. He was just fucking hilarious, tearing into people's lawns or smashing into fucking mailboxes. He was a fucking wild man.

The first time I ever laid eyes on Dimebag was in 1987 when I tried out for the band. I said, Jesus Christ, look at this skinny guy with this Afro playing guitar. His hair didn't quite reach his shoulders, because he had this real long-ass neck, and it had this bounce to it. Later, I told him, "Dude, you look like a ruffled-up, fucking old Q-tip." And he laughed.

When I joined the band, he was going by "Diamond Darrell." I was always in the process of morphing the band into what we eventually did become, by controlling the cassette deck and turning them guys onto early Mercyful Fate, Slayer and shit like that. After awhile, I was like, "This 'Diamond' shit ain't gonna cut it anymore. Brother, you ought to change that shit to 'Dimebag,'" and the look on his face was priceless, 'cause I could tell he loved it right off the bat. It just cracked his ass up and he went with it from there.

Dimebag was really a big advocate of all things fun. A lot of touring bands will tell you life on the road isn't always a smooth operation. There's hard times, there's mishaps, and it ain't always rosy and pretty; Dimebag was one of those guys that could make a not-so-perfect situation into something special and hilarious and actually fun.

I remember him doing that once toward the end of the Vulgar Display of Power tour. There was this cat who used to come out to shows in a certain town and he was a nice enough guy, but he wanted to hang out a little too much and kind of got on everybody's nerves. The day we got to the town was one of those days where I rolled over on the wrong side of the bunk thinking the worst. I head to my dressing room, and there's this huge, two-page letter from this guy that says, "For Phil." The guy's saying, "I hear you guys have some time off, so I'm planning on coming down to New Orleans and visiting your house. I've got your address, and I'm going to bring my wife with me and she'll give you special favors." And I'm going, "Motherfucker, man. This is a nightmare." I'm furious. I'm beside myself all day long. And about an hour before the show, as usual, Dimebag kicks the door open on my dressing room with a couple shots of whisky in his hand: "Time to get going, motherfucker. Let's go." And he goes, "By the way, that letter, that was total bullshit. I wrote the whole fucking thing." God damn it. I grabbed him and I said, "You motherfucker!" He had me wound up all fucking day long. It made the rest of the night a blast.

But there was another side to him. When it came to Pantera, he was deadly serious. But there was a tongue-in-cheek perfection depending on the mood of what we were writing. When I first joined the band, it felt like I was the "new guy" all the way through Vulgar Display of Power, with the Abbott brothers peeking over my shoulder, picking at my lyrics, which drove me bananas. I remember when we recorded "Cemetery Gates," at the end of the song where I'm hitting the wailing high notes and he's matching me with his whammy bar, that was competition – who can outdo who. And of course he'd hit this crazy high fucking note that there's no way I could. It made him feel awesome for that five or 10 minutes, but later it was always, "Fucking great job, man." When it came to Pantera, he was very particular, and when it came to pushing anyone, whether it be me, Rex or anyone, he could push you, but he was also a great motivator. And he was always working towards the best for whatever particular song we were working on. He'd get the best out of everybody.

If he were still alive, I'd damn well know him, because of our love for each other. He was one of my best friends on this planet, and best friends – especially those with strong personalities and integrity – butt heads sometimes. But we always found a compromise. I know for a fact that we would've made more music together. There would've been more Pantera tours. There would've been more albums.

Then, when I think about it, the reality of his death collapses that entire pipe dream, and once again the heart is crushed.

I learned a lot of lessons from Dimebag. There was a time when I was going through a very tough period when it felt like my body was betraying me, and some days I would just have a shitty attitude and that would be my fucking mood for the day. Both Dimebag and our security guy, Big Val, came in one day and said, "You know, Phil, when you roll off that bus, you set the tone for the day with your actions." From that I took a positive from it, and no matter how I'm fucking feeling these days, I make sure I poke my head in and say hello to the opening band, I say hello to the road crew, really just sort of to show a kinder side to myself. Dimebag taught me that making things easier for everyone around me is imperative.

His loss has made me work harder to do his memory justice. I want to leave his memory sacred and do the best that I can do, because I know that's what he would've wanted: my best.

The old saying "there are no guarantees in life" – that's very fucking true. Never take anything for granted. All I can tell his fans is to enjoy every second that you possibly can in this life, because there will be times when we will all be tested. The loss of a parent, the loss of a child. Somehow, we need to have the intestinal fortitude to move forward and make our loved ones proud.

Pantera fans are and always were the greatest. They are part of the family. And the songs that we wrote, those are their songs now. I just hope that everybody who is trying to find closure, just does the best they can every fucking day, because that's the way Dimebag lived it. And that's the way, honestly, he went as well. He was on that stage playing the fucking guitar.

PostPosted: Tue December 09, 2014 6:35 am 
Broken Tamborine

I feel like the breakdown in Primal Concrete Sledge is the best thing he ever did. There's an eastern tinge to his note choice. It really moves me.

PostPosted: Wed December 31, 2014 8:29 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Just released, previously unheard song from Dimebag Darrell

PostPosted: Sat February 25, 2017 7:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

25 Yrs ago today, we all got punched in the face

:bammer:

PostPosted: Sat June 23, 2018 5:08 am 
Mind Your Tanners

And now Vinnie :cry:

Post subject: Re: Dimebag Darrell (1966-2004) + Vinnie Paul (1964-2018)
PostPosted: Sat June 23, 2018 6:13 am 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

Sad to hear. Pantera was awesome and even though I’m hyped for the nu metal tournament, Pantera kicked all of their asses while they were still around.

They weirdly released a live album today from 1998, I’ve been listening to that tonight and the band sounds great. Phil Anselmo on the other hand is drunk and fucked up and the bad part of this album.

PostPosted: Sat June 23, 2018 8:57 am 
jeeeesus relax already

So sad to hear about Vinnie.

Pantera will always remain as a favorite as a kid.

PostPosted: Sat June 23, 2018 12:12 pm 
Gone

Cause of death?

PostPosted: Mon June 25, 2018 1:23 am 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon June 25, 2018 5:01 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

verb_to_trust wrote:
Cause of death?

My money's on the ol' choke-wank.

PostPosted: Mon June 25, 2018 6:13 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Has Phil commented at all?

PostPosted: Mon June 25, 2018 6:54 pm 
Gone

Massive heart attack. Not surprised with his BMI.

PostPosted: Mon June 25, 2018 6:55 pm 
The Master

I laughed

PostPosted: Mon June 25, 2018 7:32 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

bada wrote:
Has Phil commented at all?

Rex has, Phil just posted a picture of a candle, probably when he was done cooking a spoon of smack over it.

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands