The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: Re: What were your biggest musical 180s?
PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 10:29 pm 
A Return To Form

darth_vedder wrote:
I feel like it's cool to shit on the Doors and most people do without really knowing the catalog. Not saying that is your case, but I've seen it happen. It's just easy to pick on Morrison.

LA Woman is pretty good. "Been Down So Long" could be their best song. "Wild Child" is pretty tight too. I love me some Robby Krieger. He is underrated, big time.

First and last albums are really good-great. I admit that I havent really focused on the middle albums as much, but what I have heard from them didnt wow me.

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 10:30 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

darth_vedder wrote:
I feel like it's cool to shit on the Doors and most people do without really knowing the catalog. Not saying that is your case, but I've seen it happen. It's just easy to pick on Morrison.

LA Woman is pretty good. "Been Down So Long" could be their best song. "Wild Child" is pretty tight too. I love me some Robby Krieger. He is underrated, big time.

Oh I know their catalog, I had it internalized from HS to early college...There's definitely some good songs after their first record, and their second is pretty good but it was tread from their first sessions and signs were starting to become apparent that Morrison was completely out of control.

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 10:32 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Love the Doors. One of the few true bands were every member was integral to their sound and songwriting. Remove one guy it falls apart. LA Woman was their best album since the first one. They got their uhhh mojo back. They were getting even better right up till the err end.

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 10:34 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Kral wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
That's selling the Doors incredibly short. They are better than that, and Strange Days is better than the first record.

Like I said, very good band, some great songs, first album thats pretty amazing, just way overhyped, I feel

For me, part of it is I feel the need to rebel against the popular opinion. I don't know how to explain it, but the more something is crammed in my face, like Zeppelin or the Doors, the more I'm going to go against the grain, at least in my younger days.

Queen was my favorite band at one point in H.S., and my friends would do nothing but shit on them, saying they were nowhere near as great as the mighty Led Zeppelin :gomez:

I never hated Queen, so I haven't done a 180. However, all I knew was there hits, then I heard the Sheer Heart Attack album and was completely wowed.

I wonder if non PJ fans feel us PJ fans cram them in their face. I know I had to fight to get them some attention. A lot of my friends hated PJ and shat all over them. Over time, I exposed them to No Code, Yield, Binaural, Vitalogy deep cuts (they knew Betterman, and Betterman live), and Riot Act. To get them to modestly appreciate PJ though, I've had to due some serious cramming.

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 10:35 pm 
Posting (live)

That 2 part Queen doco (Days Of Our Lives??) was fantastic. One of the best docos I've seen (up there with the Petty Runnin Down A Dream)

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 10:38 pm 
A Return To Form

darth_vedder wrote:
Kral wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
That's selling the Doors incredibly short. They are better than that, and Strange Days is better than the first record.

Like I said, very good band, some great songs, first album thats pretty amazing, just way overhyped, I feel

For me, part of it is I feel the need to rebel against the popular opinion. I don't know how to explain it, but the more something is crammed in my face, like Zeppelin or the Doors, the more I'm going to go against the grain, at least in my younger days.

Queen was my favorite band at one point in H.S., and my friends would do nothing but shit on them, saying they were nowhere near as great as the mighty Led Zeppelin :gomez:

I never hated Queen, so I haven't done a 180. However, all I knew was there hits, then I heard the Sheer Heart Attack album and was completely wowed.

I wonder if non PJ fans feel us PJ fans cram them in their face. I know I had to fight to get them some attention. A lot of my friends hated PJ and shat all over them. Over time, I exposed them to No Code, Yield, Binaural, Vitalogy deep cuts (they knew Betterman, and Betterman live), and Riot Act. To get them to modestly appreciate PJ though, I've had to due some serious cramming.

Im guilty of jamming some PJ into peoples faces from time to time.

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 10:41 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Gods' Die wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Oh I know their catalog, I had it internalized from HS to early college...There's definitely some good songs after their first record, and their second is pretty good but it was tread from their first sessions and signs were starting to become apparent that Morrison was completely out of control.

Yeah, too bad about Morrison...he could have been great. There is a recording of a Hendrix concert, he sees Morrison, Morrison goes on stage loaded out of his mind. Hendrix is trying to get a jam going, and Morrison just screams "fuck her in the ass" over and over again. It could have been a great moment between two legends, but it turned out crap b/c of Morrison.

I guess I still have a soft spot for the Doors, but I rarely listen to them these days (haven't really since college). Now and then I revisit LA Woman though, and that is a helluva record. I love it.

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 10:41 pm 
A Return To Form

LetMeSleep wrote:
That 2 part Queen doco (Days Of Our Lives??) was fantastic. One of the best docos I've seen (up there with the Petty Runnin Down A Dream)

It really was :thumbsup:

One of those bands that are certainly more than their greatest hits, especially those first 4 albums.

Also a band where each of the members was integral to the songwriting. Not many bands have big worldwide hits written by each of its' members.

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 10:45 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Kral wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

It really was :thumbsup:

One of those bands that are certainly more than their greatest hits, especially those first 4 albums.

Also a band where each of the members was integral to the songwriting. Not many bands have big worldwide hits written by each of its' members.

That's pretty impressive. I can't think of another band, other than those lads from Liverpool.

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 11:39 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Scott Weiland's first album. I guess he is a musical act. In 1998 I tried to return it to the store after listening to it a few times. I was unsuccessful. I've grown to appreciate it now.

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 11:45 pm 
AnalLog

Guys, I used to listen to Placebo all the time. I sampled the new album and the lyrics made me want to vomit. Makes me wonder how I ever tolerated Brian Molko's melodramatic bullshit.

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 11:54 pm 
Commissioner

Soma. wrote:
Guys, I used to listen to Placebo all the time. I sampled the new album and the lyrics made me want to vomit. Makes me wonder how I ever tolerated Brian Molko's melodramatic bullshit.

It's funny you mention it, cause I was trying to think of artists I did a reverse 180 on, and they were the first one that came to mind. When I was a teenager I loved the self-titled album and Without You I'm Nothing. I remember spending like $30 to get Black Market Music on import cause it wasn't released in the US till like a year later, and really feeling true disappointment in a band I thought I loved for the first time ever. In retrospect, Days Before You Came is a cool song, but the rest of that album is terrible. Sleeping With Ghosts really wasn't much better (though Bulletproof Cupid was really good, probably because it's an instrumental), and I've never bothered to listen to anything since then. I tell myself I'd still enjoy the first two records if I put them on, but honestly there's a chance I wouldn't even like those anymore.

Fuck Brian Molko. He's the worst. What's that song on Black Market Music with the dude from She Wants Revenge rapping on it and Molko whining about playing cards and revolution? That's like one of the worst songs ever.

WAIT. NO. THE WORST SONG EVER IS THE ONE AT THE END OF THE RECORD WHERE HE'S IMAGINING HE'S A BLACK MAN BEING LYNCHED OR SOMETHING. HOW DOES THAT EVEN EXIST?

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 12:03 am 
AnalLog

The song with the rapper is "Spite and Malice". I'm not sure what the lynching song is, which is fortunate.

I still love "Pure Morning" as a single, though. That song was always carried by guitar tones and mechanical loop rhythm.

Last edited by Soma. on Sat November 09, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 12:06 am 
AnalLog

When I was younger, I dismissed a lot of the more popular genres of the 70s and 80s such as soul, disco, new wave, etc. I viewed it as mindless, and not worthy of serious listening. Honestly, I was pretty thick. I don't listen to a great deal of that sort of stuff now, either, but when I do hear it, such as on the radio at work, I quite enjoy it. I think really listening to the music, as well as getting into more contemporary stuff that is sometimes heavily influenced by those styles, allowed me to open up to it all.

Also, not really a 180, but another shameful tale of being completely "off" in my opinion:

When I was in college and branching out my musical tastes, I was exposed to Isis (the sludge metal band). I downloaded a few tracks and really enjoyed them, but never found inclination to dig deeper. A couple years later, I bought several of their albums on the cheap from a guy on the old After the Post-Rock forum. I couldn't get into them, though, outside of the songs I had liked before, so I sold them all on Discogs. Now, whenever they come up on Pandora, I can't believe I paid so little attention to the albums, and I get a little gloomy that I got rid of them. They're really so much better than I gave them credit for. So, I guess that's more like a 360. So, now I'm wary of selling excess stuff, 'cause I let go of some great music and I regret it.

Last edited by Brett on Sat November 09, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat November 09, 2013 12:08 am 
Commissioner

Against my better judgment, I looked it up. It's Haemoglobin.

"I was hanging from a tree
Unaccustomed to such violence
Jesus looking down on me
I'm prepared for one big silence

How'd I ever end up here
Must be through some lack of kindness
And it seemed to dawn on me
Haemoglobin is the key..."

PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 11:07 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Soma. wrote:
-In the build up to the release of Dear Science, TV on the Radio debuted "Dancing Choose" on SNL and it sounded rubbish. It really did. The mixing was awful and the performance as a whole left a lot to be desired. I failed to see through the constraints of playing live and dubbed it "one of the worst songs by a great band I had ever heard". Then when the record dropped, in all of its polished glory, I couldn't believe how wrong I was. Fantastic song.

Dancing Choose has been an auto-skip song for years now...I've listened to it several times now after you said this. It's not as bad as I remember, but I think it's still the weakest song on the record.

PostPosted: Sat November 16, 2013 7:05 pm 
Rank This Poster

rap to classic rock

PostPosted: Sun November 17, 2013 2:26 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

probably my biggest is Prince. couldnt stand him when i was younger. as i got older i realized he is probably the single most incredibly talented person to ever play an instrument

pink floyd has grown on me but still cant listen to much LZ...maybe the immigrant song or kasmir is all i can handle

faith no more while i didnt hate them, only knew them for the goldfish song

golden earring...loved twilight zone. bought the continuing story of radar love (basically a greatest hits type album) and went through two copies of a cassette and one CD cause i played it so much. started watching countless videos of theirs on youtube and just love their music. while thats not really a 180, i just had to plug them :)

PostPosted: Mon November 18, 2013 3:48 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Radiohead comes to mind. It was around the release of Kid A/Amnesiac when all of the critics and fans were really on their knees and taking it in the face. I just couldn't stand the amount of...you can't even call it love, what they were doing. Swore I'd never listen to something that pretentious.

Cut to a month or so later. I'm living in an area that has zero English rock stations so I'm listening to the radio coming over the border from Mexico. It didn't have DJ's either so songs just played and played with an ad here or there. I kept hearing this one song that was just so thrilling to listen to. I mean, sparse and minimal and plaintive but with a driving beat at the same time; The car would go 10 miles faster when it came on.

After a month or so I started to think...that's Radiohead. I had no reason to think it because I never watched tv (MTV, SNL, etc) so I hadn't seen the band play it and it was never played on the English-speaking stations. So I go out and buy Kid A. It's blowing my mind, and then I get to track 8, "Idioteque". Holy shit, it's that song.

PostPosted: Mon November 18, 2013 4:52 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I used to hate the Funk.

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands