The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: R.I.P. Lou Reed
PostPosted: Thu October 31, 2013 6:19 am 
Future Drummer

I like this article. Entertainment Weekly's Owen Gleiberman:

Lou Reed, though a hipster, gave the rock underground a glow of beauty

Quote:
In 1972, a couple of years after the Velvet Underground imploded, Lou Reed, struggling to latch onto his identity as a solo artist, kicked off a period of rapid-fire image transformation roughly parallel to the more high-profile one that David Bowie was enacting. For three or four years, Reed tried on his outlaw personas like costumes from hell (Iggy-ish gutter hunk, kohl-eyed leather-bar rock & roll animal, cropped-blond ambisexual mannequin). It was his way of tapping into the liberating boundary-bashing of the post-’60s wasteland. During that period, Reed tried to live up to the ideal of being a “transformer” (the title of his second, and still arguably greatest, solo album), and those days etched an important dimension onto his legend. Yet they were totally the exception. For most of the nearly 50 years he spent as a rock star, Lou Reed had a persona — and a look — that was startlingly consistent. The image, like the man, never really got old. (Last year, I trailed after him for about a block on East Houston St., and he looked lean and mean, his face etched but still vigorous.) He was the ultimate icier-than-thou hipster, in shades and a black leather biker jacket, with a gaze of indifference — an appraising glint of street-cool contempt — that no one could match, because no one could rival the invincible tossed-off hostility of Lou Reed. He was a misfit, a rebel, a notorious a—hole, a former junkie, an East Village-gone-uptown aristo radical, a back-alley explorer, a transgressor, a poet, and — quintessentially — a punk.
Yet there’s one word, or phrase, that would sit awkwardly, at best, in the same sentence with Lou Reed, and that is pop star. When you think of Lou, the essential image of the man resists almost every connotation of the word pop. (That’s true even though he got his start with the king of pop, Andy Warhol.) He had exactly one song that became a bona fide pop single, and that is “Walk on the Wild Side,” and the supreme irony of its status as an annoyingly overplayed Top 40 chestnut is that the last reason on earth it probably appealed to most people were the lyrics, rooted in tales of the hustlers and drag queens who gathered around the Warhol Factory. “Walk on the Wild Side” was an incredible fluke because, if you can imagine it with different lyrics, it comes close to being an easy-listening ditty (albeit it “sung” by a guy who sounds more like the studio electrician than a lead singer). As for the other great Lou Reed crossover songs, the ones that everyone’s heard a million times in radio rotation — namely, “Sweet Jane” and “Rock & Roll,” both from the last Velvet Underground studio album, Loaded, released in 1970 — they are unambiguously not pop songs. They are pure, vintage rock & roll, spoken-sung by Reed like the bully-beatnik Dylan of Long Island. They are songs that live in a black leather jacket.
And yet, precisely because Lou Reed was the godfather of alternative rock, because he had such a spiky and uncompromised aura that he carried with him to his dying day, the temptation to put up a wall between the concepts of “Lou Reed” and “pop” ends up missing, I would argue, the essence of his genius. I come at Reed’s career from an idiosyncratic angle, because even though I grew up in the ’70s and heard snatches of his solo records from time to time (most of which, frankly, bored me), I was late — insanely late — in discovering the Velvet Underground. I never really heard them until 1995, because I’d had an alienating experience in college in which my buddy, attempting to introduce me to the majesty of the Velvets, made the mistake of playing me their second album, White Light/White Heat (1968), which except for the title track I found — and still find — to be borderline unlistenable. I had also, over the years, heard “Heroin,” and it always struck me as an overly celebrated masterpiece — yes, it was its own kind of “great song” that dared to capture the experience of a heroin high in the very texture of the music, and if you were stoned yourself you could fall into its trance, yet it was almost like the prose-poem soundtrack of a performance-art piece, as conceptual as it was compelling. I just assumed, over the years, that the Velvets weren’t my cup of noise, and I never got around to them, even though I love, and own every recording by, dozens upon dozens of artists — everything from Television to R.E.M. to Patti Smith — who are thought of as part of the Velvets’ legacy.
So there I was in the Virgin Megastore in 1995, looking over a rack of CDs that were being hawked for half price to get rid of the stock, and I spied that famous Andy Warhol banana cover of the VU’s first album, and I thought: My God, after all these years, I have never even heard this. So I spent $7.95 and changed my life. I went home and put on the CD, and the first thing I heard was “Sunday Morning,” and instantly, I was transfixed, but it was the furthest thing in the world from what I’d been expecting, because the best way I can describe “Sunday Morning” is to say that it’s a very warped pop song. From the opening baby xylophone tinkle to the weird whooshy air tunnel of softly catchy chords to Reed’s disaffected croon (“Watch out, the world’s behind you,/There’s always someone around you who will ca-a-all,/It’s nothing at all…”), it sounded, somehow, like “My Girl” performed with a hangover of drug paranoia.
Here, really, is why I bother to bring up the embarrassing 20-years-too-late first flowering of my romance with the VU. It’s almost inevitable that when you read about the Velvet Underground, you hear about all the ways that they were revolutionary: the forbidden demimonde they cracked open, the universe of taboo subjects (heroin, S&M, toxic love, a kind of free-floating decadence) that they somehow tipped and stirred into the cauldron of the ’60s. They were, and always will be, rock & roll’s shock-of-the-new visionaries. And because they’re so famous for their influence, we tend to link them up will all the bands that came afterwards. Yet hearing the Velvets as I did, in an almost Rip Van Winkle out-of-time experience, years after their influence had been absorbed into the culture, I couldn’t really hear the radicalism of what they were doing. The Velvet Underground & Nico didn’t sound to my ears like the first “alternative rock” record. It sounded both older and newer, not to mention more classical. It was like listening to the downtown version of the Beatles.
Like a lot of people, I became not just hooked by the Velvets but possessed by them. I’d never bought into the sentiment, back in the punk/new wave era, that the Clash were “the only band that matters,” but hearing the Velvets so many years after they were around, I totally understood how someone in the late ’60s or early ’70s might believe that they were the only band that mattered. Because their music (created, of course, not just by Reed but by John Cale, Sterling Morrison, and Maureen Tucker) had a magical pull quite beyond its “transgressive” surface. And that pull, at least to me, is inseparable from the incandescence of pop. John Cale (who I sometimes love — especially his 1992 piano-man concert album Fragments of a Rainy Season) was the band’s avant ringleader, but Reed, who started off in the early ’60s writing pop jingles for hire, had pop in his DNA, and you can feel that glow and flow of melodic rapture in the fusion of their talents. “I’m Waiting for the Man,” the second song on the first album, was textbook proto-punk, but then came “Femme Fatale,” which, once again, set disquieting lyrics — in this case, about a sex tease who will “break your heart in two” — against music of wavery, off-kilter beauty; it’s as if the song was poised between the moment of falling for this girl and of waking up to the reality of what you’ve fallen for. “Venus in Furs,” the powerful dominatrix anthem, was the one track that sort of lived up to my image of the Velvets, its ominous beat and viola sawing evoking the looking-glass moment when sadomasochism becomes a person’s addictive muse. But then came the song that let me know that I would be a Velvet Underground devotee forever: “All Tomorrow’s Parties.” The lyrics were astonishing: the way its portrait of an Edie Sedgwick party girl as tattered Cinderella reached across the decades to evoke the New York handbag princesses who I now saw around everywhere. Yet what bowled me over, and always does, is the grandeur of the music. Alternative rock? This was a jangly symphony of glamour and despair.
Reed composed a number of other timeless pop songs: the lovely, lilting “Perfect Day” and the scathingly sublime “Satellite of Love” (originally written with the Velvets), as well as several of the tracks on Loaded, like the opener, “Who Loves the Sun” (another jaunty bauble on drugs), and also what is perhaps the most overlooked great song in the Velvets’ canon, the transportingly gorgeous “New Age.” I love a handful of Reed’s solo records (the sarcastic snarl of Street Hassle, the bumptious humanity — and awesome clean grunge sound — of New York), but his solo career stands in relation to the Velvet Underground as John Lennon’s stood in relation to the Beatles. Like Lennon, Reed was a brittle closet romantic who wore the armor of a witty scoundrel. The rock-crit establishment that treats Metal Machine Music, Reed’s infamous 1975 feedback stunt-album, as a serious work of art might deny it, but both solo careers exist — justifiably — in the earlier bands’ shadows.
To me, the greatest Velvet Underground album is their third, The Velvet Underground (1969), and what I think that album lays bare is the single, powerful emotion that underlies all of the Velvet Underground’s music, and that is faith. I don’t know if I would call “What Goes On” a pop song, but it’s one of those tracks that, while you’re listening to it, becomes the greatest rock & roll song ever recorded (and it may well be). That’s not just a beat driving the song forward, it’s a kind of life force, and that force extends to the double winding snake-charmer guitar solo and, finally, to the way the song drives on and on, like a bullet train, that spectacularly relentless chugga-chugga-chug-chug chugga-chugga-chug-chug rhythm guitar laid against pearly-pure pipe-organ notes that can only be called holy; that sound offers the redemption that the singer, lost in a broken relationship, is seeking. In the glorious context of this music, the quintessential Lou Reed phrase “all right” expresses the ultimate state of grace: to be…all right. To be there, in yourself, alive. That is rock & roll.
The lyrics on The Velvet Underground can oscillate between darkness and euphoria. Yet if you listen, right in a row, to tracks 5, 6, and 7, to the touching soft plaint of “Jesus” (a prayer for transcendence), then the liberating thrust of “Beginning to See the Light” (a fall from love, but just maybe the singer likes it), followed by the ecstatic slow wail of “I’m Set Free” (a song of almost divine liberation, even though he’s now simply free to “find a new illusion”), those three songs, in impact, comprise their own indie-punk stairway to heaven. They capture how the Lou Reed who sang of feeling like Jesus’ son at the tip of a heroin syringe looked for God in other places as well, and maybe even found Him.

PostPosted: Thu October 31, 2013 8:30 am 
Rank This Poster

PostPosted: Thu October 31, 2013 9:21 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Heathen wrote:

:lol:

Would wear.

PostPosted: Thu October 31, 2013 6:30 pm 
Future Drummer

That's no joke. Last night my brother told me to play "I wanna be your dog", thinking it was Lou Reed.

PostPosted: Thu October 31, 2013 11:52 pm 
AnalLog

How is that even possible? They don't sound or look anything alike.

/confused

PostPosted: Fri November 01, 2013 3:28 am 
Future Drummer

Because it's my brother and he doesn't know shit about shit.

PostPosted: Fri November 01, 2013 3:33 am 
AnalLog

:nice:

PostPosted: Fri November 01, 2013 10:03 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

On Lou Reed's chart history. Interesting piece. http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/123-lou-r ... t-history/

PostPosted: Tue November 05, 2013 10:58 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Oh! Sweet Nuthin'

Untouchable.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 6:13 pm 
AnalLog

Read this a few minutes ago, it's pretty powerful. But that could just be my INFP showing :)
Thought you guys might like to read it as well.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20131106

By Laurie Anderson
November 6, 2013 12:00 PM ET
Laurie Anderson and Lou Reed.
Guido Harari/Contrasto/Redux
Rolling Stone pays tribute to Lou Reed, the outsider who changed the course of rock & roll, on the cover of our new issue. In an exclusive essay for RS, Laurie Anderson reflects on her 21-year relationship with Reed and his final moments.

I met Lou in Munich, not New York. It was 1992, and we were both playing in John Zorn's Kristallnacht festival commemorating the Night of Broken Glass in 1938, which marked the beginning of the Holocaust. I remember looking at the rattled expressions on the customs officials' faces as a constant stream of Zorn's musicians came through customs all wearing bright red RHYTHM AND JEWS! T-shirts.

John wanted us all to meet one another and play with one another, as opposed to the usual "move-'em-in-and-out" festival mode. That was why Lou asked me to read something with his band. I did, and it was loud and intense and lots of fun. After the show, Lou said, "You did that exactly the way I do it!" Why he needed me to do what he could easily do was unclear, but this was definitely meant as a compliment.

I liked him right away, but I was surprised he didn't have an English accent. For some reason I thought the Velvet Underground were British, and I had only a vague idea what they did. (I know, I know.) I was from a different world. And all the worlds in New York around then – the fashion world, the art world, the literary world, the rock world, the financial world – were pretty provincial. Somewhat disdainful. Not yet wired together.

As it turned out, Lou and I didn't live far from each other in New York, and after the festival Lou suggested getting together. I think he liked it when I said, "Yes! Absolutely! I'm on tour, but when I get back – let's see, about four months from now – let's definitely get together." This went on for a while, and finally he asked if I wanted to go to the Audio Engineering Society Convention. I said I was going anyway and would meet him in Microphones. The AES Convention is the greatest and biggest place to geek out on new equipment, and we spent a happy afternoon looking at amps and cables and shop-talking electronics. I had no idea this was meant to be a date, but when we went for coffee after that, he said, "Would you like to see a movie?" Sure. "And then after that, dinner?" OK. "And then we can take a walk?" "Um . . ." From then on we were never really apart.

Lou and I played music together, became best friends and then soul mates, traveled, listened to and criticized each other's work, studied things together (butterfly hunting, meditation, kayaking). We made up ridiculous jokes; stopped smoking 20 times; fought; learned to hold our breath underwater; went to Africa; sang opera in elevators; made friends with unlikely people; followed each other on tour when we could; got a sweet piano-playing dog; shared a house that was separate from our own places; protected and loved each other. We were always seeing a lot of art and music and plays and shows, and I watched as he loved and appreciated other artists and musicians. He was always so generous. He knew how hard it was to do. We loved our life in the West Village and our friends; and in all, we did the best we could do.

Like many couples, we each constructed ways to be – strategies, and sometimes compromises, that would enable us to be part of a pair. Sometimes we lost a bit more than we were able to give, or gave up way too much, or felt abandoned. Sometimes we got really angry. But even when I was mad, I was never bored. We learned to forgive each other. And somehow, for 21 years, we tangled our minds and hearts together.

It was spring in 2008 when I was walking down a road in California feeling sorry for myself and talking on my cell with Lou. "There are so many things I've never done that I wanted to do," I said.

"Like what?"

"You know, I never learned German, I never studied physics, I never got married."

"Why don't we get married?" he asked. "I'll meet you halfway. I'll come to Colorado. How about tomorrow?"

"Um – don't you think tomorrow is too soon?"

"No, I don't."

And so the next day, we met in Boulder, Colorado, and got married in a friend's backyard on a Saturday, wearing our old Saturday clothes, and when I had to do a show right after the ceremony, it was OK with Lou. (Musicians being married is sort of like lawyers being married. When you say, "Gee, I have to work in the studio till three tonight" – or cancel all your plans to finish the case – you pretty much know what that means and you don't necessarily hit the ceiling.)

I guess there are lots of ways to get married. Some people marry someone they hardly know – which can work out, too. When you marry your best friend of many years, there should be another name for it. But the thing that surprised me about getting married was the way it altered time. And also the way it added a tenderness that was somehow completely new. To paraphrase the great Willie Nelson: "Ninety percent of the people in the world end up with the wrong person. And that's what makes the jukebox spin." Lou's jukebox spun for love and many other things, too – beauty, pain, history, courage, mystery.

Lou was sick for the last couple of years, first from treatments of interferon, a vile but sometimes effective series of injections that treats hepatitis C and comes with lots of nasty side effects. Then he developed liver cancer, topped off with advancing diabetes. We got good at hospitals. He learned everything about the diseases, and treatments. He kept doing tai chi every day for two hours, plus photography, books, recordings, his radio show with Hal Willner and many other projects. He loved his friends, and called, texted, e-mailed when he couldn't be with them. We tried to understand and apply things our teacher Mingyur Rinpoche said – especially hard ones like, "You need to try to master the ability to feel sad without actually being sad."

Last spring, at the last minute, he received a liver transplant, which seemed to work perfectly, and he almost instantly regained his health and energy. Then that, too, began to fail, and there was no way out. But when the doctor said, "That's it. We have no more options," the only part of that Lou heard was "options" – he didn't give up until the last half-hour of his life, when he suddenly accepted it – all at once and completely. We were at home – I'd gotten him out of the hospital a few days before – and even though he was extremely weak, he insisted on going out into the bright morning light.

As meditators, we had prepared for this – how to move the energy up from the belly and into the heart and out through the head. I have never seen an expression as full of wonder as Lou's as he died. His hands were doing the water-flowing 21-form of tai chi. His eyes were wide open. I was holding in my arms the person I loved the most in the world, and talking to him as he died. His heart stopped. He wasn't afraid. I had gotten to walk with him to the end of the world. Life – so beautiful, painful and dazzling – does not get better than that. And death? I believe that the purpose of death is the release of love.

At the moment, I have only the greatest happiness and I am so proud of the way he lived and died, of his incredible power and grace.

I'm sure he will come to me in my dreams and will seem to be alive again. And I am suddenly standing here by myself stunned and grateful. How strange, exciting and miraculous that we can change each other so much, love each other so much through our words and music and our real lives.

This story is from the November 21st, 2013 issue of Rolling Stone.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 8:32 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

That's very touching.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 8:53 pm 
AnalLog

You can say that again. Jeebus.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 9:01 pm 
AnalLog

Soma. wrote:
You can say that again. Jeebus.

It totally had me in tears earlier.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 9:03 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Yep, that one got me in the feels.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 9:07 pm 
AnalLog

zeb wrote:
Yep, that one got me in the feels.

:heartbeat: Hopefully it didn't make you emo. It made me appreciate the people I have in my life.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 9:09 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It made me want to take up tai chi.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 9:10 pm 
AnalLog

theplatypus wrote:
It made me want to take up tai chi.

:thumbsup: that's something good :)

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 9:25 pm 
AnalLog

I know a guy who teaches Tai Chi and he is one of the most pretentious, self-absorbed pseudo-intellectuals I've ever met, so I'll likely never give it a go. It's weird how that works.

But anyway, lets get back to Lou Reed.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 10:04 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I like the Willie Nelson quote.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2013 2:57 am 
Rank This Poster

quick someone give me a good like 20 song vu mix of their best stuff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands