Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Chris Cornell

Tue May 01, 2018 5:16 pm

First thought is: Can their singer actually sing like Cornell? I'm admittedly not your target audience, but some links to your covers might be helpful in driving traffic to your shows.

Wed May 09, 2018 6:04 am

Wasn’t sure where to post this so I suppose this thread will work. Could use a little help on this one from fellow music fans.

I dearly loved the music of Soundgarden and Chris Cornell. His death affected me unlike any musician or person who I was only connected to via their art and not on a personal level. But even a year after his death, I just don’t listen to Soundgarden or Chris Cornell anymore, and I don’t really know why. It’s almost like his suicide just shattered all the enjoyment I got from listening to the music. Anyone else experiencing this?

Wed May 09, 2018 10:09 am

meatwad wrote:Wasn’t sure where to post this so I suppose this thread will work. Could use a little help on this one from fellow music fans.

I dearly loved the music of Soundgarden and Chris Cornell. His death affected me unlike any musician or person who I was only connected to via their art and not on a personal level. But even a year after his death, I just don’t listen to Soundgarden or Chris Cornell anymore, and I don’t really know why. It’s almost like his suicide just shattered all the enjoyment I got from listening to the music. Anyone else experiencing this?

It’s been the opposite for me. Listening to his songs now, especially the solo stuff, feels like that movie White Noise. I suppose as time goes on, it will change, but right now his death has not fully sunk in for me. It was still less than a year ago that I saw Soundgarden.

Wed May 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Right when it happened i went into full sg-cornell-audioslave mode.

Wed May 09, 2018 4:42 pm

I listened to the S/T Audioslave album the other day. Still really dig several songs on it.

Wed May 09, 2018 5:51 pm

Cornell´s career is so impressive...even his solo albums have something that i love.

Wed May 09, 2018 11:02 pm

Certain songs (Like Suicide, The Day I tried To Live....) make me sad when I hear them, but for the most part I'm still on a Soundgarden kick

Thu May 10, 2018 1:36 am

Only song I really haven't been able to listen to since his death is Pretty Noose. I can still enjoy his music and celebrate his work when ever it comes across my playlist, but yeah certain songs are hard to get through. Steel Rain is another one, oddly enough, that's hard to listen to. A year later and it still feels surreal

Thu May 10, 2018 1:55 am

I forget he's dead a lot. Doesn't seem real for some reason.

Thu May 10, 2018 1:58 am

The new Johnny Cash cover tears me up.

Thu May 10, 2018 5:42 am

LetMeSleep wrote:The new Johnny Cash cover tears me up.

Yeah, that one is really hard, and yes it feels surreal. Sometimes i think he will make an appearance and get Soundgarden to play again.

Thu May 10, 2018 6:56 am

I might add that I can't bring myself to listen to Scream, but this was true before his death too

Thu May 10, 2018 7:14 am

The Soundgarden tournament really got me listening to a ton of material I had totally forgotten about. Stuff that I love now and listen to fairly frequently.

His death was a shocker for sure. I really regret not going to the show that Twat went to. It was a festival show and I wasn’t into any of the other bands, so I went to a brewery with some buddies instead. I was planning on going to the next Soundgarden show when the new album that was planned came out. A few days later he was gone. I never did see Soundgarden, or Cornell live. That’s my biggest concert regret to date.

Thu May 10, 2018 9:44 am

meatwad wrote:Wasn’t sure where to post this so I suppose this thread will work. Could use a little help on this one from fellow music fans.

I dealt with that for maybe about six months after it happened. I can enjoy it again, but there are times when it still feels kinda hollow. Almost like somewhere in your brain it's not quite ok to "rock out" to his art if you're still grieving about it, I guess?

For me personally, if I was pretty connected to someone's music and they die, I basically can't listen to it for quite a while. If it's someone I was only casually interested in, I find myself practically OD-ing on it. When Tom Petty and Prince died, I played the shit out of their stuff because I wasn't a full-on fan. It's the reverse of what I would think would happen.

Thu May 10, 2018 12:47 pm

PHATJ wrote:The Soundgarden tournament really got me listening to a ton of material I had totally forgotten about. Stuff that I love now and listen to fairly frequently.

I never did see Soundgarden, or Cornell live. That’s my biggest concert regret to date.

me too :cry:

Thu May 10, 2018 5:23 pm

I have similar feelings but push through it. I find it cathartic. His music helped push me through some of the harder times in my life, sometimes by making me feel the negative emotions even more fully and finding a place of comfort with them. Listening to him now is a similar experience that quickly turns into a feeling of celebration.

Thu May 10, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks guys. Guess I just need to put some on and see what happens.

Thu May 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Rangi Guy wrote:I might add that I can't bring myself to listen to Scream, but this was true before his death too

lol

Fri May 18, 2018 1:00 am

Wow, 1 year today......never have I been as sad over the death of someone I never knew but I know his music well and I am thankful. His suicide has opened my eyes to the fuckery he was subjected to and it's pretty mindblowing. His lyrics have proved to be prophetic.......

"People don't die from suicide, people die from sadness".

Fri May 18, 2018 2:38 am

Last year I had planned to wag it and enjoy a sunny day in May. I spent the day watching the videos of Cornell on mtv and just being sad. I’m still affected, but recently I’ve been struck by how frequently men die in their 60s anyway (not that far from 52) and at 41, it’s odd to think I've had more days than I have days left.
Post a reply