The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Fri January 15, 2016 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 24800
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
tragabigzanda wrote:
You can now stream Tortoise's upcoming LP The Catastrophist:

http://www.stereogum.com/1853458/stream ... hist/mp3s/

I'll be giving it a spin shortly.


Initial thoughts based on one complete listen:

It's a Tortoise album, so it will take a while to really digest. But it strikes me as a cross between the mellow/live vibe of TNT and the synth-forward sounds of Beacons of Ancestorship. Like those two albums, it tends to focus on repetitive motifs, rather than the crescendos and releases found in Standards and It's All Around You.

The most pleasant surprise is how much I like the cover of David Essex's Rock On. I was hesitant when I heard there would be vocals on two songs, but this first one works really well. The effects on Todd Rittmann's vox help the song to retain its instrumental vibe, and the song feels like an album centerpiece.

Yonder Blue, the other vocal song featuring Yo la Tengo's Georgia Hubley, feels less successful. It honestly just sounds like every Stereolab song.

I already like it better than BoA, but not as much as TNT or It's All Around You. Looking forward to repeated listenings to see how it develops.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Wed January 20, 2016 5:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 24800
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
Just noticed that the iTunes version of The Catastrophist includes a bonus track, if anyone cares. I'm all over this tomorrow.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Fri January 22, 2016 3:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 9:20 am
Posts: 3803
Location: Great southern land.
Watter - Seawater


I've been groovin' on their album from a year or two ago again this morning.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Fri January 22, 2016 4:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 24800
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
Stop drawing attention away from the new Tortoise record, Varis.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Fri January 22, 2016 4:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 9:20 am
Posts: 3803
Location: Great southern land.
Shit! My bad.

Here you go:



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Fri January 22, 2016 5:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 24800
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
Varis wrote:
Shit! My bad.

Here you go:


:haha: Well played.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 8:57 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34645
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Varis wrote:
Watter - Seawater


I've been groovin' on their album from a year or two ago again this morning.

good stuff. I like this one too.


tragabigzanda wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
You can now stream Tortoise's upcoming LP The Catastrophist:

http://www.stereogum.com/1853458/stream ... hist/mp3s/

I'll be giving it a spin shortly.


Initial thoughts based on one complete listen:

It's a Tortoise album, so it will take a while to really digest. But it strikes me as a cross between the mellow/live vibe of TNT and the synth-forward sounds of Beacons of Ancestorship. Like those two albums, it tends to focus on repetitive motifs, rather than the crescendos and releases found in Standards and It's All Around You.

The most pleasant surprise is how much I like the cover of David Essex's Rock On. I was hesitant when I heard there would be vocals on two songs, but this first one works really well. The effects on Todd Rittmann's vox help the song to retain its instrumental vibe, and the song feels like an album centerpiece.

Yonder Blue, the other vocal song featuring Yo la Tengo's Georgia Hubley, feels less successful. It honestly just sounds like every Stereolab song.

I already like it better than BoA, but not as much as TNT or It's All Around You. Looking forward to repeated listenings to see how it develops.


I haven't been the biggest fan of theirs, but I like this one so far.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Tue January 26, 2016 7:12 pm 
Offline
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:11 pm
Posts: 7703
After 4 months of living with "Dust and Disquiet", I'm pretty comfortable with declaring it Caspian's best album.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Thu January 28, 2016 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 24800
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
tragabigzanda wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
You can now stream Tortoise's upcoming LP The Catastrophist:

http://www.stereogum.com/1853458/stream ... hist/mp3s/

I'll be giving it a spin shortly.


Initial thoughts based on one complete listen:

It's a Tortoise album, so it will take a while to really digest. But it strikes me as a cross between the mellow/live vibe of TNT and the synth-forward sounds of Beacons of Ancestorship. Like those two albums, it tends to focus on repetitive motifs, rather than the crescendos and releases found in Standards and It's All Around You.

The most pleasant surprise is how much I like the cover of David Essex's Rock On. I was hesitant when I heard there would be vocals on two songs, but this first one works really well. The effects on Todd Rittmann's vox help the song to retain its instrumental vibe, and the song feels like an album centerpiece.

Yonder Blue, the other vocal song featuring Yo la Tengo's Georgia Hubley, feels less successful. It honestly just sounds like every Stereolab song.

I already like it better than BoA, but not as much as TNT or It's All Around You. Looking forward to repeated listenings to see how it develops.


After many more spins, I've come to the conclusion that the first eight songs are fantastic all the way through, and stand up well to the rest of their catalog. But unlike every other Tortoise album, this one really peters out at the end. The last four tracks (including the iTunes bonus cut) are pretty snooze-worthy.

Also, it's funny that all the promo pieces for this record mention how it was influenced by their grant from some Chicago arts organization to compose something influenced by Chicago jazz. There's very little of anything on this album that I would call jazz. There are plenty of funk, minimalist, and (of course) post-rock influences, but jazz???


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Mon February 01, 2016 3:42 pm 
Online
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon January 07, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 1000
Finally got the new Tortoise album, and gave it a spin. I agree with Tragabigzanda that it feels like a cross between TNT and Beacons of Ancestorship; those are definitely the closest analogs to this one in their discography.

It seems really mellow after one listen, which, based on the old version of "Hot Coffee" and the in-studio sample videos they had on their Facebook a while back, I was expecting. Future listens will tell, but that mellowness might not bode well, as the album will probably end up as a minor one, and after such a long wait, that will be tough to abide.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Mon February 01, 2016 4:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 24800
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
Brett wrote:
Finally got the new Tortoise album, and gave it a spin. I agree with Tragabigzanda that it feels like a cross between TNT and Beacons of Ancestorship; those are definitely the closest analogs to this one in their discography.

It seems really mellow after one listen, which, based on the old version of "Hot Coffee" and the in-studio sample videos they had on their Facebook a while back, I was expecting. Future listens will tell, but that mellowness might not bode well, as the album will probably end up as a minor one, and after such a long wait, that will be tough to abide.


Bonus points for typing out my full name.

I love Hot Coffee, definitely one of my faves on the album. Other faves are Ox Duke, Rock On, Shake Hands With Danger (which sounds like an outtake from My Life In the Bush of Ghosts), and Gesceap.

But I agree, overall it's a little underwhelming given the wait. It's one of those records I'll play a lot right now because it's new; then I'll probably forget about it; then I'll return to it in a few years and discover new things to love.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Sun February 07, 2016 12:08 am 
Offline
Banned from the Pit
 Profile

Joined: Sat July 27, 2013 1:06 am
Posts: 11
Is anyone familiar with the Japanese band toe? I don't know if they are post-rock or math- rock but they are really good. Was introduced from the local college radio station and have been into them ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ampd2ABKVr0


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Sat February 13, 2016 3:45 pm 
Online
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon January 07, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 1000
Unsurprisingly, I've warmed up to The Catstrophist after multiple listens. It's still a little more mellow than I would have liked, but most of the album is pretty good. My favorite tracks as of now are the title track, "The Clearing Fills," and "Hot Coffee."

The two songs with vocals are okay, but don't fit the album, and would have better served as stand-alone singles or something. I also, weirdly, don't think "Gesceap" works in the context of the album. Maybe it's just because it's longer and has a more complex development than the rest of the tracks, but it doesn't seem to fit thematically; it sounds out of place.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Sat February 13, 2016 5:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 24800
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
Brett wrote:
Unsurprisingly, I've warmed up to The Catstrophist after multiple listens. It's still a little more mellow than I would have liked, but most of the album is pretty good. My favorite tracks as of now are the title track, "The Clearing Fills," and "Hot Coffee."

The two songs with vocals are okay, but don't fit the album, and would have better served as stand-alone singles or something. I also, weirdly, don't think "Gesceap" works in the context of the album. Maybe it's just because it's longer and has a more complex development than the rest of the tracks, but it doesn't seem to fit thematically; it sounds out of place.


Both of those are great tracks. Hot Coffee is already one of my favorite Tortoise songs ever. I think Gesceap fits perfectly -- both where it falls on the album, and the fact that it's longer than the other songs. It takes its time to set a certain mood, and I'm able to just get lost in it. And then it sneaks up on me -- without warning, it takes me from a place of gentle meditation to deep sadness. Lots of feels from that one, but I've got listen to it all the way through.

I still think the album peters out terribly. The last few songs are all so similar in tone and energy, and it just sort of meanders to a close. I'd almost prefer they just wrapped it up with Hot Coffee and called it a day. Those last ones do nothing for the album, nor their overall catalog. They're not bad, just sort of duds.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Sun February 14, 2016 4:22 am 
Online
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon January 07, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 1000
I don't mind them. I don't know if they're strong enough to end the album properly, but they're pretty good. I've yet to seek out the iTunes nous song, though.

My biggest gripe is that the whole thing's too conservative. I wish there was more stuff like the video game synth at the beginning of "The Castrophist" or like "Gopher Island" in tone and texture.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Fri February 26, 2016 2:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon January 07, 2013 8:23 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Our Texas
I spent the day with Caspian's bandcamp page open, going through their discography. I really like the progression in their sound they've made.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Fri February 26, 2016 2:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon January 07, 2013 8:23 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Our Texas
zekethomas wrote:
Is anyone familiar with the Japanese band toe? I don't know if they are post-rock or math- rock but they are really good. Was introduced from the local college radio station and have been into them ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ampd2ABKVr0


I like 'em, and you're right, they seem to go between math rock and post rock.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Fri February 26, 2016 2:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34645
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
patrick wrote:
zekethomas wrote:
Is anyone familiar with the Japanese band toe? I don't know if they are post-rock or math- rock but they are really good. Was introduced from the local college radio station and have been into them ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ampd2ABKVr0


I like 'em, and you're right, they seem to go between math rock and post rock.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Fri February 26, 2016 10:35 pm 
Offline
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:11 pm
Posts: 7703
Caspian's coming back through PHX, but they're opening for a Christian metal band. :?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Soundtracks to the End of the World: The Post-Rock threa
PostPosted: Sat February 27, 2016 12:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34645
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
BurtReynolds wrote:
patrick wrote:
zekethomas wrote:
Is anyone familiar with the Japanese band toe? I don't know if they are post-rock or math- rock but they are really good. Was introduced from the local college radio station and have been into them ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ampd2ABKVr0


I like 'em, and you're right, they seem to go between math rock and post rock.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:



_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brett and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue November 20, 2018 7:53 pm