The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rap Thread
PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 5:46 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
kendrick lamar is a wallpaper

Just because you like Kanye doesn't mean you have to hate everyone else, Jordan.

I don't mind Kendrick. I just thought your analogy was funny and it reminded me of Hillary being a sandwich from Subway.

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 5:48 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
kendrick lamar is a wallpaper

Just because you like Kanye doesn't mean you have to hate everyone else, Jordan.

I don't mind Kendrick. I just thought your analogy was funny and it reminded me of Hillary being a sandwich from Subway.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 5:52 pm 
tl;dr

Mike wrote:
What should I listen to when my two favorite rap albums are MBDTF and To Pimp A Butterfly? Just assume I'm a total rap noobie except for Kanye and Kendrick. I like hip hop with lots of hooks I guess.

Not that these albums are overwhelmingly similar to the ones you named necessarily, but since we seem to have a lot of overlapping tastes, I will just say that I love the two albums you mentioned and also love these:

Ghostface Killah -- Fishscale
Jay-Z -- Reasonable Doubt
The Roots -- How I Got Over
Mos Def -- Black on Both Sides
Nas -- Illmatic
Clipse -- Hell Hath No Fury

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 6:07 pm 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
Mike wrote:
What should I listen to when my two favorite rap albums are MBDTF and To Pimp A Butterfly? Just assume I'm a total rap noobie except for Kanye and Kendrick. I like hip hop with lots of hooks I guess.

Not that these albums are overwhelmingly similar to the ones you named necessarily, but since we seem to have a lot of overlapping tastes, I will just say that I love the two albums you mentioned and also love these:

Ghostface Killah -- Fishscale
Jay-Z -- Reasonable Doubt
The Roots -- How I Got Over
Mos Def -- Black on Both Sides
Nas -- Illmatic
Clipse -- Hell Hath No Fury

Thanks! How can I resist listening to the one sampling Joanna Newsom first? Reporting back soon.

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 7:56 pm 
Future Drummer

Three tracks into 'How I Got Over' and this might just be what I was looking for. I'm digging the jazz-vibe and the amount of singing so far. Hip-Hop albums that only contain rapping throughout can't hold my attention too long. 'Dear God 2.0' is great on first listen.

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 8:11 pm 
tl;dr

Great! It is one of my favorite albums from the last 5 years or so.

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 8:14 pm 
Future Drummer

How cool is 'Right On'? I would not have believed sampling Joanna would work so well before.

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 8:27 pm 
Future Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Kendrick's "How Much a Dollar Cost?" is probably the best song of the year. Incredible lyrical craftsmanship, catchy and emotional hook, and even if the religious language that Kendrick uses to frame his point doesn't resonate with you, the compassionate heart of the song -- as well as Kendrick's willingness to put his own character under the microscope, presumably lumping himself in with everyone else he believes is due the same cautions he doles out in the lyrics -- is still profoundly moving. It is a beautiful, complex yet immediately likable piece of work that I recommend everyone listen to as soon as humanly possible.

Thanks for the recommendation, KD.

I listened to it. I'm not sure the words "beautiful" or "immediately likable" apply for me. I didn't need to turn it off or anything. Certainly it isn't bad or offensive or whatever. It was just sonic wallpaper. But the kind that you don't notice right away, so it's actually pretty decent as far as wallpaper goes.

Wut

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 8:29 pm 
Future Drummer

Mike wrote:
Three tracks into 'How I Got Over' and this might just be what I was looking for. I'm digging the jazz-vibe and the amount of singing so far. Hip-Hop albums that only contain rapping throughout can't hold my attention too long. 'Dear God 2.0' is great on first listen.

If you like a fair amount of singing mixed in, you might actually really like J. Cole. His newest one snuck up on me, it's really pretty damn good.

PostPosted: Mon October 26, 2015 8:37 pm 
tl;dr

Mike wrote:
How cool is 'Right On'? I would not have believed sampling Joanna would work so well before.

I know, I love it! That and "Radio Daze" are probably my two favorites on the album.

?uestlove's crash cymbal is a sound that all admirers of sonic art should experience at least once.

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2015 3:51 am 
Gone

Orpheus wrote:
Mike wrote:

If you like a fair amount of singing mixed in, you might actually really like J. Cole. His newest one snuck up on me, it's really pretty damn good.

You aint let Nas down!!

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2015 4:32 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Guys, Earl Sweatshirt is one of the best rappers in the game right now.

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2015 10:11 pm 
Future Drummer

Teeeeeekay wrote:
Guys, Earl Sweatshirt is one of the best rappers in the game right now.

Definitely. Really looking forward to his third album, I'm thinking it's gonna be fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2015 10:41 pm 

Any word on it?

His first 2 are being released on vinyl. :thumbsup:

Doris became a classic after about 3 listens.

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2015 1:54 pm 
See you in another life, brother

verb_to_trust wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Mike wrote:

You aint let Nas down!!

I'm conflicted about J. Cole. There are times I really like what he's laying down, but then a minute later I feel like I'm listening to Drake.

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2015 3:52 am 
Future Drummer

4/5 wrote:
I'm conflicted about J. Cole. There are times I really like what he's laying down, but then a minute later I feel like I'm listening to Drake.

He's definitely a better rapper and has more to say in general, but I'm not a fan of all his stuff. I loved the lack of guest artists on his last one, that was what got me in to him. Carrying an album like that mostly by yourself is pretty impressive.

Any fans of Vince Staples? His EP/Debut were both pretty fucking fantastic, IMO.

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2015 3:53 am 

Orpheus wrote:
4/5 wrote:

He's definitely a better rapper and has more to say in general, but I'm not a fan of all his stuff. I loved the lack of guest artists on his last one, that was what got me in to him. Carrying an album like that mostly by yourself is pretty impressive.

Any fans of Vince Staples? His EP/Debut were both pretty fucking fantastic, IMO.

Vince Staples verse on Earl's Hive is an all-timer. Just got Summer '06.

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2015 3:58 am 
Future Drummer

It certainly is. He's a lot smarter than he lets on in those verses on Doris. Kind of reminds me of an angrier, more nasal, slightly more political Snoop.

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2015 4:05 am 

The owner of the record store I frequent said Summer was the best hip hop album of the year.

I don't know much about the guy. Mostly from his work on Doris.

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2015 4:09 am 
Future Drummer

Teeeeeekay wrote:
The owner of the record store I frequent said Summer was the best hip hop album of the year.

I don't know much about the guy. Mostly from his work on Doris.

It's very good. Has some tracks that have really gotten into my head. It's also nice cause it's not just about gangbanging/drugs. He definitely showed some range. He's a lot like Earl in that I don't think either one of them have really peaked yet. Both young guys with incredible talent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands