Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Elvis Costello

Tue October 09, 2018 3:54 am

also the new track "under lime" is fucking great.

Tue October 09, 2018 4:24 am

All three songs from Look Now that have been released so far are winners. "Suspect My Tears" is excellent

Wed October 10, 2018 2:39 am

yes suspect my tears is exquisite.

Fri October 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Album is streaming on all the platforms and is amazing. I really love the bonus track "The Final Mrs. Curtain". Very unusual chorus for him

Fri October 12, 2018 4:09 pm

I've not listened to his stuff much in recent years, and always mean to when I see KD and Jorge and everyone else talking about him. After seeing him last month in Chicago I was re-inspired to do so, and the new stuff is really, really, good.

Mon October 15, 2018 5:38 am

Head over heels in love with this album. Listened to it all weekend. The songwriting is so rich and layered and Sebastian Krys's production is so lush and textured. Elvis and The Imposters are all in fine form. In fact, I think this is the best he's sounded vocally since North. Instantly my favorite album of 2018. Everyone should listen to it

Mon October 15, 2018 8:58 am

I'll check it out, Jorge. I think the last album of his I listened to was When I Was Cruel. Saw him that tour too.

Sat November 10, 2018 2:45 pm

theplatypus wrote:Head over heels in love with this album. Listened to it all weekend. The songwriting is so rich and layered and Sebastian Krys's production is so lush and textured. Elvis and The Imposters are all in fine form. In fact, I think this is the best he's sounded vocally since North. Instantly my favorite album of 2018. Everyone should listen to it

Dude, it's really good. So many sections of songs that earworm their way in for days at a time. Melodies everywhere and the playing throughout is tasteful.

Sat November 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Yeah, it's a masterpiece. I can't stop listening to it.

Wed November 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Interestingly... I think he might have made his own perfect "starter record". All the elements I respond to in his work are represented in various forms here, as is the breadth and scope of it. I feel like if someone asked me which EC album they should start with, I would be tempted to encourage them to just pick up this one.

Wed February 13, 2019 12:19 am

Just got done watching this. Great stuff.

The "God's Comic" performance at about 4:36 is killer.

Mon January 27, 2020 1:34 am

Look Now just won a Grammy for Best Traditional Pop Album.

Well deserved, it's a beautiful album, but I would've thought it qualified for last year's awards instead of this year considering its release date.

Mon January 27, 2020 2:27 am

Jorge, I've been listening to a lot of Elvis Costello lately. But randomly throughout the catalog. Have you ever put together a playlist on Spotify that you think encapsules your favorites?

Mon January 27, 2020 3:10 am

[YouTube] https://youtu.be/MVC7wfXDC4M[/YouTube]

Gave this Cat Stevens version the grunt an “tude” we didn’t know it needed

One of my favourite covers

Mon January 27, 2020 3:35 am

theplatypus wrote:Look Now just won a Grammy for Best Traditional Pop Album.

Well deserved, it's a beautiful album, but I would've thought it qualified for last year's awards instead of this year considering its release date.

I'd be curious to know what the record is for time elapsed between an album's release date and its Grammy win. I feel like this sort of delay is normal, but I can never keep track of the rules.

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Jorge, I've been listening to a lot of Elvis Costello lately.

:heartbeat:

Mon January 27, 2020 3:39 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Jorge, I've been listening to a lot of Elvis Costello lately. But randomly throughout the catalog. Have you ever put together a playlist on Spotify that you think encapsules your favorites?

I have a playlist that was meant as a "starter pack" to introduce new listeners, but not one that truly represents my personal favorites. But I had an idea to make two ten-song playlists. "Costello: Easy Mode" with the accessible pop-rock stuff and "Costello: Hard Mode" with the jazz, chamber music, and more esoteric stuff. Could be fun to divide them that way.
Last edited by Jorge on Mon January 27, 2020 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon January 27, 2020 3:40 am

Kevin Davis wrote:I'd be curious to know what the record is for time elapsed between an album's release date and its Grammy win. I feel like this sort of delay is normal, but I can never keep track of the rules.

Look Now was released before the deadline for consideration for last year's Grammies, which is why I think it's strange that it got nominated this year.

Wed January 29, 2020 11:21 am

Not sure I'm super excited by this, but we'll see.

Wed March 11, 2020 12:10 am

In debate with fellow Costello fans now, I have figured out the Elvis Costello equivalent to my "'Immortality' is a bad song" take

It is "'Riot Act' is a bad song"

Sat March 28, 2020 2:37 pm

This thread is just my blog now.

He does one song at the start and one song at the end (both covers), but I really like to just hear the guy talk.
Post a reply