The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Elvis Costello
PostPosted: Fri January 07, 2022 4:58 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I would have missed the Juliet Letters without you mentioning it.

PostPosted: Fri January 07, 2022 4:59 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Nooo you gotta include TJL. It's essential. Plus a nice change of pace

PostPosted: Fri January 07, 2022 4:59 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

digster wrote:
I made an attempt sometime last year at a full catalogue run-through (he's a guy where I know a ton of songs but few full albums), but only made it through the records I was already most familiar with (the debut through Get Happy). I decided to put on Trust last night, and it was fantastic. It doesn't seem like it's spoken about on the same level as those first records, but may be my favorite of that run besides This Year's Model.

Yeah it's great

PostPosted: Fri January 07, 2022 5:18 pm 
tl;dr

liebzz wrote:
I would have missed the Juliet Letters without you mentioning it.

What list are you using? If it's Wikipedia it's possible the discography is going to break out "collaborative albums" or something like that, and things get increasingly snaky in that regard from here on out. Here's what's left in my mind (asterisks by albums I'd consider somewhat optional):

The Juliet Letters
Brutal Youth
Kojak Variety
All This Useless Beauty
Painted From Memory
**For the Stars (collaboration with Anne Sofie Von Otter -- she is the featured vocalist on the album, so depending on the focus of your exercise you could conceivably skip this)
When I Was Cruel
**Cruel Smile (a b-sides/odds and ends album, leftover stuff from the previous album -- if you haven't done previous B-side albums, maybe skip this)
North
The Delivery Man
**Il Sogno (instrumental orchestral album -- interesting and enjoyable, but maybe outside the scope of what you're doing here)
**My Flame Burns Blue (live album from North Sea Jazz Festival -- of all the asterisked albums I'd call this the most essential, as it contains quite a few new compositions and some incredible arrangements of old ones, but again, maybe outside the scope of what you're doing here)
The River in Reverse
Momofuku
Secret, Profane and Sugarcane
National Ransom
Wise Up Ghost
Look Now
Hey Clockface
The Boy Named If (assuming this will be out by the time you get here!)

PostPosted: Fri January 07, 2022 5:31 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Agree with all the asterisks. In fact I'd straight up suggest skipping For the Stars. It's a Sofie Von Otter album that EC produced, and the record label insisted he be bumped up to co-star to increase sales, so he sings on a handful of tracks. There are a few worthwhile moments but overall I'd say it doesn't play an important part within EC's musical arc.

Cruel Smile has some good gems, but yeah, it's an outtakes/odds-and-sods compilation, so skip it also. And Il Sogno is a one-off that I see as separate from the main discography.

My Flame Burns Blue is so good (I just got it on vinyl!). If you're into doing a live album, go for it, but it's also non essential.

PostPosted: Fri January 07, 2022 5:33 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

It's telling that KD left out the Lost on the River album by the New Basement Tapes supergroup. Probably the one EC project that never interested me enough to even play the album once. Skip!

PostPosted: Fri January 07, 2022 6:13 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah I was working off Wikipedia because Spotify was well, spotty, due to separating the attractions stuff from the EC (and imposters) stuff. I needed a chronology. The Juliet Letters weren’t in the chronology.

PostPosted: Fri January 07, 2022 6:26 pm 
tl;dr

Jorge wrote:
It's telling that KD left out the Lost on the River album by the New Basement Tapes supergroup. Probably the one EC project that never interested me enough to even play the album once. Skip!

Oh yeah, forgot all about that -- even as a Dylan fan that album got a pass from me (probably because of Marcus Mumford, whose voice I can't stand). But Jim James is also on there so maybe liebzz as a big MMJ fan would get something out of it (if he doesn't know it already)

I also forgot the Spinning Songbook live album (never heard it, despite having seen that tour), and the short live EP's with Steve Nieve and Bill Frisell from the mid-90's, which I've heard but don't have. Not major entries in any case.

PostPosted: Fri January 07, 2022 7:15 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Didn’t know about the New Basement Tapes album. Maybe I will check that out when it’s time.

PostPosted: Fri January 07, 2022 10:25 pm 
tl;dr

Kevin Davis wrote:
I'm going to join you in listening to the Juliet Letters next -- that's always been kind of towards the bottom of my list, just because it's not really my favorite style of music, but I have a feeling that today I'm going to put it on and love it.

Mission accomplished! Thanks for putting me in the mood for some EC, liebzz!

PostPosted: Fri January 07, 2022 10:39 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I love that album. "Taking My Life in Your Hands" especially

PostPosted: Fri January 07, 2022 10:46 pm 
Polluted

I never listened to that mix you made me, theplatypus, and now I can't find it.

PostPosted: Fri January 07, 2022 10:53 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The Juliet Letters

Teaming up with the Brodsky Quartet, Elvis Costello delivers a huge left turn yet again, this time embarking on some combination of show tunes and dinner music. Frankly, I do think this is largely successful, a break from the pop rock we have come accustomed to while still delivering something of substance. I feel the best moments are the lighter ones, and the tracks that really stuck out for me are I Almost Had a Weakness, Jacksons Monk & Rowe, Romeo’s Seance, and Damnation’s Cellar, I though with just one listen, I can’t say for sure. Definitely one to revisit from time to time to catch something new and interesting we missed last time.

Imperial Bedroom
King of America
My Aim Is True
This Year’s Model
Trust
Blood and Chocolate
Get Happy
Punch the Clock
Armed Forces
The Juliet Letters
Mighty Like a Rose
Almost Blue
Spike
Goodbye Cruel World

PostPosted: Fri January 07, 2022 11:04 pm 
Posting (live)

Having only really dipped a toe (probably a foot), I'd be up for a mixtape. Can you share it here, please?

I've seen him twice and heard:

The Very Best of
Extreme Honey
Painted By Memory
When I Was Cruel
North

PostPosted: Sun January 09, 2022 6:51 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Brutal Youth

After that little side refresher, we’ve got Brutal Youth. I LOVED this album on first listen. I tend to favor his more straightforward sonic albums, so this one fits right to the tee. Pony St, Kinder Murder, and 13 Steps Lead Down have a heavier, more 90s production feel to them and set this album in the exact right direction. This Is Hell, You Tripped at Every Step, 20% Amnesia, London’s Brilliant Parade, My Science Fiction Twin, Rocking Horse Road, and Just About Glad were the other big highlights for me on what I at least found to be a stellar album and among my favorites thus far.

Imperial Bedroom
King of America
My Aim Is True
This Year’s Model
Trust
Brutal Youth
Blood and Chocolate
Get Happy
Punch the Clock
Armed Forces
The Juliet Letters
Mighty Like a Rose
Almost Blue
Spike
Goodbye Cruel World

PostPosted: Sun January 09, 2022 7:22 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Hell yeah. Brutal Youth is great. It's a semi-Attractions album (Steve and Pete play drum and keyboards on every track, while bass duties are split between Nick Lowe and Attractions Bruce Thomas who was brought in halfway through recording). Another one of his "back to rock" albums and a really good one; "13 Steps Lead Down" is just awesome

Love this live performance too, the band is on fire:

Last edited by Jorge on Sun January 09, 2022 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun January 09, 2022 7:25 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

1. This Year's Model
2. Blood & Chocolate
3. Imperial Bedroom
4. Brutal Youth
5. King of America
6. The Juliet Letters
7. Mighty Like a Rose
8. Spike
9. Trust
10. Get Happy
11. My Aim is True
12. Armed Forces
13. Punch the Clock
14. Almost Blue
15. Goodbye Cruel World

PostPosted: Mon January 10, 2022 2:15 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kojak Variety

In what is now not at all surprising, Elvis Costello followed the rocking Brutal Youth with a total switch in gears to an album of rhythm and blues covers. And of course, this is totally natural and he nails the covers. This release feels fun, airy and light in comparison, and the covers uncluttered and straightforward. All or nearly all are exceptionally delivered, leading to yet another quite solid album.

Imperial Bedroom
King of America
My Aim Is True
This Year’s Model
Trust
Brutal Youth
Blood and Chocolate
Get Happy
Kojak Variety
Punch the Clock
Armed Forces
The Juliet Letters
Mighty Like a Rose
Almost Blue
Spike
Goodbye Cruel World

PostPosted: Mon January 10, 2022 2:19 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

All This Useless Beauty

This one started a bit slow for me. Little Atoms and All This Useless Beauty just didn’t stick for me, but then he and the Attractions hit their stride with Complicated Shadows, and they basically plow through the rest of this album in very good form. Why Can’t a Man Stand Alone, Distorted Angel, Poor Fractured Atlas, Starting to Come to Me, You Bowed Down, and It’s Time are all standouts for me. Another fantastic album leaning on simpler arrangements and turning up the rock volume.

Imperial Bedroom
King of America
My Aim Is True
This Year’s Model
Trust
Brutal Youth
Blood and Chocolate
All This Useless Beauty
Get Happy
Kojak Variety
Punch the Clock
Armed Forces
The Juliet Letters
Mighty Like a Rose
Almost Blue
Spike
Goodbye Cruel World

PostPosted: Mon January 10, 2022 2:55 pm 
tl;dr

Loving reading through all of these, liebzz. Playing catch-up a bit:

liebzz wrote:
the tracks that really stuck out for me are I Almost Had a Weakness, Jacksons Monk & Rowe, Romeo’s Seance, and Damnation’s Cellar

"Romeo's Seance" was a song that really just registered with me for the first time last listen! What a great little tune. Otherwise, I think you've listed my three favorite songs on this album. Really enjoyed revisiting this one and will be doing so more in the near future; I think my ears have been opened a little bit more to this type of music in the past couple years, so I think I'm a bit more sensitive to this album's strengths than I've been in the past.

Brutal Youth is hands down one of his best collections of songs in my opinion, and one of a handful of his albums that really serves as a great meeting place for his many stylistic inclinations. It's one of my all-time favorites.

Kojak Variety is probably one I could stand to revisit -- honestly it's probably my least favorite album on the journey so far, not because it's bad necessarily, it just doesn't aim very high and I think that's the mark it ultimately hits. I really love "Pouring Water on a Drowning Man," and enjoy a few others ("Everybody's Crying Mercy," "The Very Thought of You"), but across the span of fifteen tracks it loses my interest. Just not a record I feel compelled to play very often.

All This Useless Beauty was one of my very first Costello albums, second only to the then-new When I Was Cruel, and showcasing a complete opposite side of his songwriting. This album is something of a hodge podge of songs written with or for other artists, but it has gems galore on it, many of which you've listed.

This Year's Model
Brutal Youth
Get Happy
King of America
Blood and Chocolate
Imperial Bedroom
All This Useless Beauty
Mighty Like a Rose
Trust
My Aim Is True
Spike
Armed Forces
The Juliet Letters
Punch the Clock
Almost Blue
Goodbye Cruel World
Kojak Variety

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 467 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands