The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

Janelle Monáe?
Yes 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
Yes 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Re: Janelle Monáe
PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 7:41 pm 
Commissioner

It's so addictive. I'm really hoping to see her next month.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 7:55 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I feel like it's a primetime for mine and Janelle's love.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 8:01 pm 
Commissioner

Can I watch?

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 8:01 pm 

Join in if you want.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 8:04 pm 
Commissioner

:li:

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 8:05 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I heard the original title to "Q.U.E.E.N." was "Q.U.E.E.R." and the record label balked. Makes sense for the lyrics.

Last edited by Jorge on Sat September 28, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 8:06 pm 

It's cool that the eventual title still carries those connotations.

PostPosted: Sun September 29, 2013 12:11 pm 

Lady.... get waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down.

PostPosted: Sun September 29, 2013 12:16 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Her sexuality has been a bit of a thing in the press.
If she's lesbian, she's even cooler. If that's possible.

PostPosted: Sun September 29, 2013 12:16 pm 

Don't throw no rock, don't break no glass, just shake yo' ass.

PostPosted: Sun September 29, 2013 12:18 pm 

So are we agreeing that the chords / BV's in "Primetime" are a deliberate homage to the Pixies?

PostPosted: Sun September 29, 2013 2:44 pm 

I'm listening to The Archandroid for the first time. Drumming in the first track is excellent.

PostPosted: Sun September 29, 2013 4:06 pm 

Just getting to the end of The Archandroid. It certainly is more vast and intimidating, less warm and inviting. But another undeniably excellent album. I hear a bit of Bowie in this one.

PostPosted: Sun September 29, 2013 4:16 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

harmless wrote:
Just getting to the end of The Archandroid. It certainly is more vast and intimidating, less warm and inviting. But another undeniably excellent album. I hear a bit of Bowie in this one.

i like the new one better...more funky, more direct. Her live show is fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Sun September 29, 2013 4:20 pm 

VinylGuy wrote:
harmless wrote:

i like the new one better...more funky, more direct. Her live show is fucking awesome.

Yeah, I think the new one will be more addictive. The first one is more challenging and didn't beg me to press repeat like the new one did. But I will definitely go back. It's more of a surreal blend of sounds, much of which I loved.

PostPosted: Sun September 29, 2013 4:24 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

harmless wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
harmless wrote:

Yeah, I think the new one will be more addictive. The first one is more challenging and didn't beg me to press repeat like the new one did. But I will definitely go back. It's more of a surreal blend of sounds, much of which I loved.

Exactly, its a really good mix of different sounds but i dont want to go and listen to it again, ( except for Tighrope).
This new album while still is a jukebox for influences, sounds more like an actual collection of songs.

PostPosted: Sun September 29, 2013 4:25 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

how's her twerking?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun September 29, 2013 4:29 pm 

VinylGuy wrote:
harmless wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
harmless wrote:

Exactly, its a really good mix of different sounds but i dont want to go and listen to it again, ( except for Tighrope).
This new album while still is a jukebox for influences, sounds more like an actual collection of songs.

It's more film score-like in its mix of sounds. So yeah, when I'm in the mood I'll go back.

I'm glad it helped me discover one of my favourite classical pieces of music, though, as I'm always hearing them and not knowing what they are. I think I like this Debussy guy:

PostPosted: Sun September 29, 2013 6:53 pm 
Commissioner

harmless wrote:

The Archandroid is definitely a bit on the intimidating side. I do love it though. I would imagine when my excitement around The Electric Lady settles & I look back I'll still prefer The Electric Lady, but The Archandroid will always be a record I enjoy listening to.

PostPosted: Sun September 29, 2013 7:02 pm 

Lament wrote:
harmless wrote:

The Archandroid is definitely a bit on the intimidating side. I do love it though. I would imagine when my excitement around The Electric Lady settles & I look back I'll still prefer The Electric Lady, but The Archandroid will always be a record I enjoy listening to.

It's interesting: The Electric Lady seems to be more commercially-focussed, without sounding more commercial. I'm not sure I've ever said that about a record before.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands