The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Janelle Monáe?
Yes 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
Yes 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Re: Janelle Monáe
PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 10:14 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I'm just listening to the 'full album' on Youtube but I will buy it asap.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 10:29 pm 

I love how the trilogy of 'Look into my Eyes', 'It's Code' and 'Ghetto Woman' travel through the 60s, 70s and 80s.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 10:34 pm 

I'll keep singing songs until the pain goes.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 10:38 pm 
Commissioner

theplatypus wrote:
Lament wrote:
harmless wrote:
Holy fuck I'm three songs into Electric Lady and I'm kind of stunned. This rivals The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill.

In the words of the immortal chud...

:hooray:

What's in the deluxe edition?

Two remixes (Q.U.E.E.N. & Electric Lady), a song called HYTB, and a cover of I Want You Back. It's apparently a two disc set, with Suite V marking the start of disc two. Apparently it's only available at Target, but they're usually pretty cheap, so I might try to snag it from there.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 10:39 pm 
Commissioner

harmless, your joy and enthusiasm for this album is brightening up an otherwise crappy Sunday for me. Thank you, sir.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 10:40 pm 

Lament wrote:
harmless, your joy and enthusiasm for this album is brightening up an otherwise crappy Sunday for me. Thank you, sir.

:lol:

There's definitely a kinship with Jackson 5 here.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 10:47 pm 
Commissioner

harmless wrote:
Lament wrote:

Normally I'd be pretty hesitant of anyone trying to cover a song as perfect as I Want You Back, but this is pretty fucking great...

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 10:49 pm 
Commissioner

Fuck. I really need to make seeing her next month my main priority right now.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 10:50 pm 

From Wikipedia: "Although Monae has never personally addressed the rumors of her sexuality in public, during an 2011 interview with the UK daily The Evening Standard she said that when it comes to her preferences, she "only dates androids", a reference to her musical alter-ego found in many of her songs. She also has said, "I speak about androids because I think the android represents the new 'other.' You can compare it to being a lesbian or being a gay man or being a black woman ... What I want is for people who feel oppressed or feel like the 'other' to connect with the music and to feel like, 'She represents who I am'," adding that she would talk about her sexual orientation "in due time"."

:heartbeat:

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 10:53 pm 

Pearl Jam is really phoning it in.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 10:55 pm 
Commissioner

Y'know, I really didn't want to come out and ask, but I was definitely curious as to whether or not this was gonna have an impact on the whole Lightning Bolt thing for you.

But yeah. She kinda makes everyone look bad right now.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 10:57 pm 

Lament wrote:
harmless wrote:
Lament wrote:

Normally I'd be pretty hesitant of anyone trying to cover a song as perfect as I Want You Back, but this is pretty fucking great...

Yeah this is amazing. Really amazing.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 10:58 pm 

Lament wrote:
Y'know, I really didn't want to come out and ask, but I was definitely curious as to whether or not this was gonna have an impact on the whole Lightning Bolt thing for you.

But yeah. She kinda makes everyone look bad right now.

Na, Pearl Jam are just Pearl Jam. I don't expect them to make me feel like this anymore; I'm just asking for better than the last two, and I feel like we're gonna get it so that's good enough. I think we can safely say the first 7 records will be "canon".

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 11:01 pm 
The worst

So if you don't usually go in for this kind of music what are the two songs you would say I should check out at lunch tomorrow?

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 11:08 pm 

The song that made me want to go in for more was 'Tightrope.' It's from her 2010 debut I think. I would just listen to the new one all the way through, though, to be honest... It's a real sonic journey.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 11:10 pm 

I would think it's easier to consider her lightweight pop if you only heard one or two tracks. A totally different story with the albums, though. It's pop, Jim, but not as we know it.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 11:19 pm 
Commissioner

Cold War (from the first album) was the single that pulled me into her orbit full-throttle. harmless is right about the new album, it's hard to pick out tracks because it's such a beautiful, cohesive, "sonic journey" as he put it. Dance Electric, It's Code, and Give Em What They Love are all killer cuts from it though; You can't go wrong with one of those.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 11:44 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Tightrope is a great song...its a fun, danceable, well done, pop hit. Her voice is great and Big Boi´s moment is also cool.

Hell, even the little dance she makes in the video is cool.

PostPosted: Sun September 22, 2013 11:55 pm 
AnalLog

Saw her at Made In America last year, she was easily one of the top performers that weekend, right up there with PJ's performance (she was on a smaller stage).

I like what I've heard from her (just the singles) but haven't been totally drawn in yet to listen to an entire album. I'll have to check out her new one. A buddy of mine is pretty much obsessed with her so will I'll snag a copy from him.

PostPosted: Mon September 23, 2013 12:20 am 
The worst

i listened to tightrope and cold war. It's not my thing (I did like tightrope more), but I can certainly recognize that it's well crafted, and if you like this kind of music I bet it's fantastic. If tightrope came on the radio I would probably leave it on.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands