The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Petition to get chud a dinner with Laura Burhenn in D.C.
PostPosted: Thu September 19, 2013 4:47 am 
tl;dr

Peter Clarke is PR royalty for the Mynabirds. In my three years on this message board, I can't think of a single instance of one person's enthusiasm for a single band or artist being half as contagious as Pete's enthusiasm for the Mynabirds. I would estimate that more Mynabirds records have been sold to people on this forum as a result of Pete's consistent championing than have been sold at some of the band's shows. I myself have bought two. I would buy more if there were more to buy.

The lead singer of the Mynabirds is Laura Burhenn. Pete is going to see Laura in concert at the beginning of October in Washington, DC. This thread is a petition (an informal one, I suppose, but still) to get Laura to agree to have dinner with Pete either before or after the concert. He has done a lot of things for her music. The least she can do is let him spend some more money on her by treating her to a nice meal and wowing her with his encyclopedic knowledge of various forms of audio compression.

Here is how this will work: In this thread, share your story of how Peter Clarke made you a Mynabirds fan. Even if it is something as simple as, "He recommended them to me, so I checked them out and they ruled," post it--it will be your signature. Once everyone has chimed in, I will share a link to this thread on the Mynabirds' Facebook page. It may be lost to the vapors of the internet forever. But it might work. Laura's posts online always seem down-to-earth and conversational, and if Pearl Jam can take note of the "Play 'Come Back' at Wrigley!" petition, I am convinced that anything can happen.

Sign today. Believe with me.

Post subject: Re: Petition to get chud a dinner with Laura Burhenn in D.C.
PostPosted: Thu September 19, 2013 4:50 am 
tl;dr

Last summer, after seeing Pete's Mynabirds thread bristling with activity for months, I finally caved and put "What We Lose in the Fire..." on my birthday list. My wife bought it for me and I fell totally in love with it. A few weeks later I ordered "Generals" and loved it even more. I can't think of a single song which bears this band's name that I dislike. I will probably buy every album they put out from now until I die.

Thank you Peter Clarke.

Your friend,
Kevin Davis

PostPosted: Thu September 19, 2013 1:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Pete started The Mynabirds thread on the old forum by posting youtube clips of some of their songs. I can't remember all of the songs he posted, but I do remember that he posted the first two tracks of "What We Lose..." which was the only album The Mynabirds had released at that time. I was floored. I can't tell you how many times I listened to those two songs in that thread. And I HATE listening to music on youtube.

I bought their debut album on vinyl. A few months later they released Generals and I bought that one on vinyl and CD. They Pete told shared Laura's solo album (Wanderlust) with me, an experience which introduced me to the brilliant tune, Chelsea Hotel No.1.

Soon after that Pete pointed me toward their twitter account. Laura and I have exchanged pleasantries many times. I even met her at a Mynabirds show in NYC last September. I bought a shirt and Laura herself made change for me as we talked about music and my excitement for the band. I even mentioned Pete to her as being the one who lit the fire.

In another thread we discussed which Pearl Jam songs other bands should cover (this was on the old board) and I mentioned Sunburn by The Mynabirds. Pete agreed and has tweeted several members of the band a link to the song, hoping it catches traction.

I love The Mynabirds. They are my favorite band making music right now. And I'm forever grateful to Peter Clarke for introducing me to something that has meant so very much to my experience.

You're the best Pete.

Joseph Clark

PostPosted: Thu September 19, 2013 1:40 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Dear Laura Burhenn,

Please have dinner with Pete. I think he has expensive tastes and should be good company; he likes lobster and probably clam chowder. He also passionately loves The Mynabirds and has instilled that same love in other Internet posters, even those from far-off climes such as England, like myself. He really is like a Mynabirds advocate, a John the Baptist, a one-man street team. Please, please, please have dinner with Pete. Have dinner with Pete, Laura Burhenn.

Signed,

Harmless Mark.

PostPosted: Fri September 20, 2013 12:43 am 
Gone

Pete deserves this.

PostPosted: Fri September 20, 2013 4:48 am 
Future Drummer

I did indeed check out the Mynabirds album "Generals" because of Peter's recommnedation on this very board. I thought it was great and included a track from it on my annual "Some Songs From..." compilation.

I wouldn't have heard The Mynabird's if not for Pete. Have dinner with him - I hear he has wonderful table manners (but don't let him drive you anywhere).

Varis.

PostPosted: Fri September 20, 2013 3:38 pm 
AnalLog

I'll admit, that I saw a lot of talk about this band here and ended up downloading the two albums to check them out. I snuck them into the household rotation... playing in the background sometimes during dinner, or while cooking, etc. Wouldn't you know it, my girlfriend starting singing along one day. Next thing you know it's both albums on repeat, on a road trip back-and-forth to Toronto. They have ousted Florence as her current favorite band and now I have to listen to them all the time.

Way to go Pete. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri September 20, 2013 3:46 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

southp wrote:
I'll admit, that I saw a lot of talk about this band here and ended up downloading the two albums to check them out. I snuck them into the household rotation... playing in the background sometimes during dinner, or while cooking, etc. Wouldn't you know it, my girlfriend starting singing along one day. Next thing you know it's both albums on repeat, on a road trip back-and-forth to Toronto. They have ousted Florence as her current favorite band and now I have to listen to them all the time.

Way to go Pete. :thumbsup:

I "sold" them to my wife by saying they sounded like Florence but with more restraint and less bombast. I should be a salesman really because it worked.

PostPosted: Fri September 20, 2013 3:57 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Laura,

As a relative newbie to The Mynabirds, I want to say thank you. In the wasteland before a new PJ album, there was you. It's all thanks to Peter 'chud' Clarke that I was able to get through this time, not just unscathed, but triumphant. And so I think he deserves this. He has great taste in music, food and shoes which marks him out as a leader amongst his fellow men. And besides, I want him to post cute photos.

Sarah.

PostPosted: Mon September 30, 2013 1:58 am 
The worst

After hearing Pete rave about them for so long I decide to give 'what we lose in the fire...' a listen, and as predicted it was the best album I had heard from anyone in quite a while.

Thank you Pete. I needed something beautiful and new

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands