The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: Re: What music does your family listen to?
PostPosted: Sat August 24, 2013 6:32 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

LetMeSleep wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
My Bro used to be into the same 90s music as I ........ Now I have no idea but I'd guess still the same.

:(

is that sad because I don't know anymore or because I think he's still listening to the same stuff?

yeah, why don't you know?

PostPosted: Sat August 24, 2013 6:59 am 
Posting (live)

knee tunes wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
My Bro used to be into the same 90s music as I ........ Now I have no idea but I'd guess still the same.

is that sad because I don't know anymore or because I think he's still listening to the same stuff?

We haven't really had a conversation about anything other than kids or sport for more than a decade. I lived overseas for 6 years so that plays a part but we've never been that close. Just the odd passing comment here and there. I don't even know the last concert he saw and he wouldn't know mine. :|

PostPosted: Sat August 24, 2013 7:15 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

LetMeSleep wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

We haven't really had a conversation about anything other than kids or sport for more than a decade. I lived overseas for 6 years so that plays a part but we've never been that close. Just the odd passing comment here and there. I don't even know the last concert he saw and he wouldn't know mine. :|

yeah so that's what's sad

PostPosted: Sat August 24, 2013 8:23 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

my dad liked shania twain, and the bee gees

PostPosted: Sat August 24, 2013 9:14 am 
Rank This Poster

my sister was into these guys big time when she was young

then she had a bob marley / reggae / ben harper phase, today I have no idea what she listens to

my mother mostly listen to local music (Corsica) and some crap that mothers typically listen to

my stepfather has records from 60's/70's singer-songwriters like Dylan, Cohen so I assume he was into that, today I don't think he listens to a lot of music anyway and when it does it's probably like my mom

my dad, he liked the kind of stuff you'd find on the usual classic rock compilation + mainstream 80's rock like Dire Straits, Scorpions, today I don't know, same thing probably

my brother, I don't have a clue

my gf likes a lot of French stuff from all eras (she likes the 80's way too much though), Brel, Ben Harper, soul/rnb oldies, she's fine with older rock most of the time, she can appreciate bands like The National, The Decemberists or Murder by Death, doesn't mind Neil Young or Tom Waits in small doses, has to deal with black metal in the car every now and then, says I like too many nasally singers and depressing music

PostPosted: Sat August 24, 2013 12:56 pm 
Future Drummer

knee tunes wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

yeah so that's what's sad

:haha:

PostPosted: Sat August 24, 2013 3:26 pm 
post-structuralist

I have a large and very musically oriented family. everyone plays some instrument or another (I used to play piano, very badly) - mostly, I'm familiar with the music they all listened to when I was a child.

my dad was in combat in WWII, then was transferred to a band unit and played trombone in a Big Band, then after the war had his own Big Band in college, playing trombone and sometimes a big stand up bass. so he and my mom mostly listened to Big Band music and a lot of different jazz (my dad also likes the Beatles! ha) – there was a lot of Sinatra playing on saturday nights before they went out when I was a kid. but he has an immense jazz collection, has seen hundreds of performers live, Miles Davis, Buddy Rich, Sinatra, (met Sinatra a few times and knew his piano player for years) - I can’t even begin to note all the music really…

my oldest brother – he and my dad have attended many jazz concerts together. and not sure if anyone remembers him or not, but my brother was good friends with Chuck Mangione and his family. I don’t know what he listens to these days, but have childhood memories of Blood, Sweat and Tears; Chicago; Doobie Brothers; 3 Dog Night; all manner of 8 track tapes…

my other brother – very big Springsteen fan, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Allman Brothers, Zappa, whatever kind of Rock…, also introduced me to Ricki Lee Jones music when I was a kid

my three sisters - between the three of them I heard a lot of this stuff as a kid: Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Elton John, Talking Heads, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young; Bonnie Raitt; Bread (haha, go look that one up, kids!!); America (you guys don’t know these bands, and are all the better for it, believe me); and AM radio pop bubblegum music.

I've always maintained that the music I grew up with both enriched my ability to appreciate good music, and pushed me to search out music I could call my own for fear of getting lost in music I admired (my family's) instead of music with which I could identify and internalize.

good thread idea, jorge - and great answers from everyone.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Sat August 24, 2013 5:44 pm 
Future Drummer

The last five songs on my brother's playlist. I mean, I try to say to myself, "To each their own", but god it's painful.

Chevelle (Send the Pain Below)
Breaking Benjamin (Throwing my Life Away)
Audioslave (Show Me How to Live)
Daughtry (One Last Chance)
Five Finger Death Punch (Remember Everything)

PostPosted: Sat August 24, 2013 5:51 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

MUCH LIKE SUFFOCAAAYYTING

PostPosted: Sat August 24, 2013 6:28 pm 
Technical Overlord

Everyone in my family listens to Top 40 garbage music, outside of my wife who I've been able to get to listen to some lesser known music. Most of them don't even acknowledge anything outside of the mainstream. It's kind of depressing to be honest.

PostPosted: Sat August 24, 2013 6:38 pm 
Future Drummer

Whitey McTeeth wrote:
Everyone in my family listens to Top 40 garbage music, outside of my wife who I've been able to get to listen to some lesser known music. Most of them don't even acknowledge anything outside of the mainstream. It's kind of depressing to be honest.

Do they love to throw their hand or finger in the air like Beyonce or Britney while they drive their car? My aunt does that and it drives me up the wall.

PostPosted: Sat August 24, 2013 6:45 pm 
Technical Overlord

Watching my four year old niece twerk is a very low musical point. I've seen my sister do the finger thing as well. It makes me want to pass out...terrible lyrics, terrible singers, and terrible artistic flavor.

PostPosted: Sun August 25, 2013 3:59 am 
Posting (live)

My wife listens to a lot of the same music as I except PJ (but she has seen them live). She likes Passion Pit, Florence ATM, Dolly Parton, Elton, Otis Redding.

My boy (2yrs) likes songs like BarbaraAnn and his fave at the moment is La Bamba (dadadadada la BUM BUM). He has enjoyed Ryan Adams, Motorhead, some PJ and The Stooges. :thumbsup:

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands