The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2024
PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 1:01 pm 
AnalLog

New Melvins album is probably the best I've head from them since the records made when Jarred Warren and Coady Willis were in the band.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 1:16 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

oneway23 wrote:
New Melvins album is probably the best I've head from them since the records made when Jarred Warren and Coady Willis were in the band.

dude, i need to jump to this one soon. I been way into PJ but im ready to dive into that one today and wait for the new St Vincent on friday

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 2:11 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

dude, i need to jump to this one soon. I been way into PJ but im ready to dive into that one today and wait for the new St Vincent on friday

Can't wait for Vincent...always such a joy to hear a new record from her. I genuinely like all her work, but, I think I prefer her when she's not adopting a new persona for the newest record, ala Bowie, and, this one feels more of a direct statement from her so far, not as distant, so, I'm really looking forward to it.

As an aside...Can I throw something else at you?

The new Messthetics album...

So...it's typically the rhythm section of Fugazi, alongside jazz/avant guitarist Anthony Pirog, and, they're incredible on the two prior records they've released so far, but, they've just recently put out an album in collaboration with saxophonist James Brandon Lewis, and...holy shit...it's freaking incredible.

Don't know if I'm telling you something you already know, but, please check it out.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 2:14 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

oneway23 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

Can't wait for Vincent...always such a joy to hear a new record from her. I genuinely like all her work, but, I think I prefer her when she's not adopting a new persona for the newest record, ala Bowie, and, this one feels more of a direct statement from her so far, not as distant, so, I'm really looking forward to it.

So...it's typically the rhythm section of Fugazi, alongside jazz/avant guitarist Anthony Pirog, and, they're incredible on the two prior records they've released so far, but, they've just recently put out an album in collaboration with saxophonist James Brandon Lewis, and...holy shit...it's freaking incredible.

Don't know if I'm telling you something you already know, but, please check it out.

Yeah, we have been discussing the Messthetics a lot on the fugazi thread! I need to check the new one out, i was a little bummed with a few things here and there but its worth more listens of course.

Join in

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 3:28 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

oneway23 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

Just checking out this Messthetics album and 1 minute into the opener I am sold.

Good man. Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 6:06 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:

Yeah, we have been discussing the Messthetics a lot on the fugazi thread! I need to check the new one out, i was a little bummed with a few things here and there but its worth more listens of course.

Join in

:thumbsup:

Higgs wrote:
Just checking out this Messthetics album and 1 minute into the opener I am sold.

Good man. Cheers.

:hooray:

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 6:25 pm 
Production Police

Man I tried with this one... It's like the worst parts of Dischord and jazz combined, instead of the best parts. Sorry team.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 6:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

Loved her 2022 album, and this one really hits for me also.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 6:50 pm 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:
Man I tried with this one... It's like the worst parts of Dischord and jazz combined, instead of the best parts. Sorry team.

Disappointed doesn't even begin to cover it...
To bed without dinner for you, big guy. :shake:

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 3:18 am 
tl;dr

oneway23 wrote:
New Bill Frisell double album, Orchestras, is pretty great so far. Really enjoying it.

2 distinct live performances:

Disc 1 with his trio and the 60-piece Brussels Philharmonic.
Disc 2 is his trio will an 11-piece jazz orchestra.

Disc 1 is very beautiful and lyrical, but, it's also a bit buttoned up for me, at times (so far).
Disc 2 is much more exploratory.

Makes sense given the composition of each ensemble.

Just getting around to giving this a proper listen. Absolutely love it so far — “Rag” on the first CD (a favorite Frisell composition) sounds immaculate. I waited through that first couple minutes of improv just waiting for Frisell to launch into that riff, and was completely and delightfully caught off-guard when the orchestra did it instead. A+ stuff.

And after a few full days with Dark Matter, the sound of this record is like an ear massage. I feel like I can physically feel my eardrums relaxing as I listen.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 3:35 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

oneway23 wrote:

This is awesome. I have no idea how I missed this one. Thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2024 10:45 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

oneway23 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Join in

Higgs wrote:

Good man. Cheers.

tragabigzanda wrote:

I can't remember, did you enjoy the previous records without the sax?

PostPosted: Fri April 26, 2024 12:16 am 
Production Police

Birds in Hell wrote:
oneway23 wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

Join in

Higgs wrote:

Good man. Cheers.

tragabigzanda wrote:

I can't remember, did you enjoy the previous records without the sax?

I spun the last one a few times and enjoyed it, but I can't say it stuck with me.

PostPosted: Fri April 26, 2024 3:03 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

New Iron & Wine record out today - includes a collaboration between Sam and Fiona Apple that sits high in my list of favourite songs of 2024.

PostPosted: Fri April 26, 2024 5:31 am 

New High on Fire slaps and bangs. I mean, just listen to this shit!

PostPosted: Fri April 26, 2024 11:42 am 
Rank This Poster

Ello Sailor wrote:
New High on Fire slaps and bangs. I mean, just listen to this shit!

This makes me want to ride into battle atop a mighty steed.

PostPosted: Fri April 26, 2024 3:36 pm 
AnalLog

Don't know how Pike keeps churning out devastating riffs. The guy is a god damned machine.

Hopefully, we'll get a gift from the mighty Sleep this year.

PostPosted: Sat April 27, 2024 8:30 am 

The first record these guys did was excellent and this is equally good, if not better.

https://ambarchiberthlingwerliin.bandca ... ghosted-ii

PostPosted: Sat April 27, 2024 8:31 am 

oneway23 wrote:
Hopefully, we'll get a gift from the mighty Sleep this year.

Not until I get a new Om album!

It's been way too long.

PostPosted: Sat April 27, 2024 10:13 am 

Already six years since The Sciences. My God.

But I really would love some new Om. I wonder what Cisneros has been up to?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands