The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: Gene Clark
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 3:10 am 
A Return To Form

I was looking for a Gene Clark thread and was somewhat surprised there's no mention of him on here, but also surprised to see not much discussion around The Byrds in general. But this isn't a Byrds thread. This is a Gene Clark thread. The man with singular talent but such a weird discography that is ultimately rewarding to dive into.

From the jump, his first post-Byrds album (Gene Clark with the Gosdin Brothers) mixes country-rock and baroque pop into an efficient and effective 26 minutes. That album was overshadowed by the Byrds' Younger Than Yesterday which came out at the same time. Eventually it was re-mixed and partly re-recorded five years later and released as Collectors Series: Early LA Sessions.

Then there's the excellent Roadmaster from 1973 that featured tracks recorded with his former Byrds bandmates as well as the Flying Burrito Brothers, post-Gram Parsons. But it was only released in the Netherlands.

If you love to explore albums that were critical failures that turned into cult gems or have any interest in the country-rock genre whatsoever (though this album goes beyond that category), then stop what you're doing and listen to his 1974 masterpiece No Other. I'd be happy if I can turn at least one other person on to No Other. Essential listening. And dare I say, maybe more "Cosmic American Music" than anything else described as such.

Some may recall there was the Gene Clark No Other Band tribute tour featuring members of Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear, and Beach House years ago, and though the performances are great, they just don't have the same power as Gene Clark himself.

TLDR - Gene Clark rules and you should listen to these tracks.

This song just blows me away every time:

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands