The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Essential Live Albums
PostPosted: Sun June 04, 2023 12:49 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Grateful Dead - Dead Set

Maybe a companion to Reckoning? It’s the same length but electric and mostly featuring songs that would fire up a more devoted base than a casual fan. Nevertheless, these songs go down easy, even a modest Rhythm Devils > Space. Everything here is very good and the vibe is again very easy so nothing truly essential, though that Franklin’s Tower is pretty damn good.

The Essential Performance: Franklin’s Tower

Up Next: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - The Darkness Tour

PostPosted: Sun June 04, 2023 12:53 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - The Darkness Tour

We dip back into the 70s again since Bruce decided to release this yesterday and I’m not turning down a chance to catch Bruce in ‘78, maybe his marquee year. This is a compilation of Darkness and related tunes during that ‘78 tour - starting with all of Darkness on the Edge of Town in order. Suffice it to say that Prove It All Night wins here because in ‘78 that song could break the world. After that, basically everything is great though The Fever and Because the Night are really really phenomenal - a sneak attack great release!

The Essential Performance: Prove It All Night

Up Next: Rush - Exit Stage Left

PostPosted: Tue June 06, 2023 2:43 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Rush - Exit…Stage Left

I walked away from the last Rush live album we covered sort of meh - I appreciated the musicianship but didn’t really connect with the songs, which is probably my long standing critique of them from the music I have listened to. These performances here are quite a bit more accessible, and for that I probably found a bit more appreciation for the performances and songs. There’s a nice mix of hits and other tracks here, and I was particularly drawn to the instrumentals. YYZ is fantastic, Broon’s Bane very nicely segues into album highlight The Trees, and La Villa Strangiato is a really nice ride. The hits were fun here, though The Spirit of Radio kinda fell flat for me, Freewill and Tom Sawyer were really fun. A Passage to Bangkok and Beneath Between & Behind were also quite good. Big upswing for me with these guys.

The Essential Performance: Broon’s Bane > The Trees

Up Next: Journey - Live in Houston 1981: The Escape Tour (way outside my comfort zone folks)

PostPosted: Tue June 06, 2023 9:47 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Journey - Live In Houston 1981 - The Escape Tour

Interesting thought experiment- what happens when a band plays epic live versions of songs you despise? Does it make them good songs, help you connect in a way that maybe you didn’t before? These were the questions I had going into this one. The musicians more than capable and there were moments during instrumental breakdowns where I was essentially gaslighting myself into believing maybe I like this after all…but honestly, a turd sandwich is a turd sandwich. I could not even get through this. Sorry. I tried.

I remember I was on vacation in New Orleans and we sort of had to wing it one night, and so I chose a prototypical looking Cajun restaurant in the French Quarter figuring how bad could it be!? The elements on the menu all read right…but the food was flavorless, and not worth the cost in the least. This disappointment and slight embarrassment at leading my family to such a waste is akin to the feeling I have right now.

No essential performance.

Up Next: Ozzy Obsourne - Randy Rhoda’s Tribute

PostPosted: Wed June 07, 2023 11:32 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Ozzy Osbourne - Tribute

Recorded in 80/81, this is a live album that also serves as a tribute to Ozzy’s late band mate, Randy Rhoads. This release tackles some Ozzy in his prime with some Sabbath thrown in (apparently a big piece of controversy was Ozzy’s desire to record Sabbath material with his new band mates and release it - think Paranoid [Ozzy’s Version]). Throughout this, Ozzy is in good form and Rhoads slays. This is sort of exactly what you’d expect and I am good with that. Really good performances top to bottom.

The Essential Performance: Crazy Train

Up Next: Motörhead - No Sleep Til Hammersmith

PostPosted: Wed June 07, 2023 12:44 pm 
Broken Tamborine

liebzz wrote:
Journey - Live In Houston 1981 - The Escape Tour

Interesting thought experiment- what happens when a band plays epic live versions of songs you despise? Does it make them good songs, help you connect in a way that maybe you didn’t before? These were the questions I had going into this one. The musicians more than capable and there were moments during instrumental breakdowns where I was essentially gaslighting myself into believing maybe I like this after all…but honestly, a turd sandwich is a turd sandwich. I could not even get through this. Sorry. I tried.

Many years ago, I was travelling around Pennsylvania when I worked for a dollar store chain, working with the district manager to build and move aisles and to re-construct all of the planograms inside.

One store in particular was run by some dumb biker sluts who played nothing over the PA except "Journey's Greatest Hits" on non-stop repeat.

After the sixth or seventh consecutive airing, I asked them if they could put something else on - such as the radio. They refused with a laugh and the manager called me a "little turd".

So I removed it from the CD player and broke it in half and went back to what I was doing.

I wasn't fired, but that was my last day working at that particular store.

However, I was permanently traumatized to the extent that hearing any Journey song will send me into a fit of convulsions.

PostPosted: Wed June 07, 2023 1:06 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Happy Trees wrote:
One store in particular was run by some dumb biker sluts who played nothing over the PA except "Journey's Greatest Hits" on non stop repeat.

This is such a vivid description of awfulness.

Glad you made it out.

PostPosted: Wed June 07, 2023 2:14 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Higgs wrote:
Happy Trees wrote:
One store in particular was run by some dumb biker sluts who played nothing over the PA except "Journey's Greatest Hits" on non stop repeat.

Glad you made it out.

It was like being trapped in hell for nine hours with the devil shitting down your throat.

But at least it wasn't John Cougar Mellencamp. That would have ended badly.

PostPosted: Wed June 07, 2023 3:14 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Happy Trees wrote:
Higgs wrote:
Happy Trees wrote:

Glad you made it out.

It was like being trapped in hell for nine hours with the devil shitting down your throat.

Hurts So Bad, amirite?

PostPosted: Wed June 07, 2023 3:47 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Higgs wrote:
Happy Trees wrote:
Higgs wrote:
Happy Trees wrote:

Glad you made it out.

Hurts So Bad, amirite?

It's okay, life goes on - even after the thrill of livin' is gone. Oooooh yeah.

PostPosted: Wed June 07, 2023 9:08 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Motörhead - No Sleep Til Hammersmith

It could be I am just not that well versed in that line between hard rock and heavy metal, but while I generally enjoyed this release, it seemed a lot of songs bled together where it’s sort of difficult to distinguish between them. That said, I picked what I thought was the best of the group, though an hour and 15 minutes of essentially the same power chord riff was more than enough.

The Essential Performance: Overkill

Up Next: Black Sabbath - Live Evil

PostPosted: Wed June 07, 2023 11:28 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

That Motorhead record is pure fucking badass :bammer:

PostPosted: Wed June 07, 2023 11:29 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Black Sabbath - Live Evil

I wasn’t sure how I would feel about Dio era Sabbath since I am only somewhat familiar with the Ozzie years. Really, even though his voice sounds much different I was shocked how much it still worked, especially given that Ozzy’s voice is so singular. It doesn’t hurt with Iommi providing killer solos and the band still killing it. Even the classics are slaying in this - and are possibly the best part of this, even if released in response to Ozzy’s live album of all Sabbath material. What a mess these guys were.

The Essential Performance: War Pigs

Up Next: The Clash - Live at Shea Stadium

PostPosted: Wed June 07, 2023 11:30 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jammer XCI wrote:
That Motorhead record is pure fucking badass :bammer:

Yes but also kinda same-y.

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 12:45 am 
Rank This Poster

did you purposely follow journey up with ozzy/motorhead/sabbath? its almost like you are cleaning yourself

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 11:17 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

warehouse wrote:
did you purposely follow journey up with ozzy/motorhead/sabbath? its almost like you are cleaning yourself

Yes. Very deliberate.

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 11:41 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The Clash - Live at Shea Stadium

Speaking of cleansing, this certainly was part of that process. I can’t call myself a fan per se, but I visit The Clash from time to time, and this is really the first live release. At least in 1982, they were a great live band. They have a great way of balancing their huge energy with a variety that is always surprising, even if I know it’s there. London Calling, The Guns or Brixton, Tommy Gun, the Magnificent Seven/Armagideon Time/Magnificent Seven, Rock the Casbah, Train in Vain, Spanish Bombs, Clampdown, Should I Stay or Should I Go, and I Fought the Law are all amazing and in much different ways - be it punk energy, reggae inflected rock - this is just really good stuff.

The Essential Performance: Train in Vain (so fun!)

Next Up: Midnight Oil - Live at the Old Lion, Adelaide 1982

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 12:37 pm 
Major Dude

Train in Vain has long been a favorite.

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 1:10 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Midnight Oil - Live at the Old Lion, Adelaide 1982

Midnight Oil is pretty much always a tight bundle of energy and fury, but here is when perhaps they were their most punk and at their most frenetic. Coming right off the heels of listening to the Clash, it’s really a near perfect segue for this evolutionary period for the band. Brave Faces, Quinella Holida, No Time For Games, Cold Cold Change, Powderworks, Back on the Borderline, I Don’t Wanna Be the One, and Stand in Line all play off that energy expertly for a real solid live album here from ‘82 just released last year.

The Essential Performance: Stand in Line

Up Next: U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky

PostPosted: Thu June 08, 2023 9:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

liebzz wrote:
The Clash - Live at Shea Stadium

I absolutely adore that performance of Magnificent Seven.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 65  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands