The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 65  Next
 Post subject: Re: Essential Live Albums
PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 1:34 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The Doors - Absolutely Live

After having taken the deep dive on their catalogue a while back, and revisiting with this live album, I am again reminded there’s apparently a fine line between genius and drunken buffoonery. No matter where you fall on that divide with Jim Morrison, it’s unquestionable to me that he’s got an excellent band playing behind him, and Morrison then becomes the star or the distraction. I still can’t decide which it is. Great moments here like the medley of hits early on or the set closing Soul Kitchen say one thing, while the barely listenable Celebration of the Lizard or unappetizing lead up to Break On Through say the other. This is perhaps that band I’ll never properly wrap my brain around or decide whether it is worth it to keep trying.

The Essential Performance: Five to One

Next Up: The Who - Live at the Isle of Wight 1970

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 6:49 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Just a note that we are quite a ways away from the 90s, but once we get there, we’re doing an Unplugged week. I have a stack of them ready to go but still taking recommendations on that (on the list between Spotify searches and already received recommendations: Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Mariah Carey, Pearl Jam, 10,000 Maniacs, Bruce Springsteen, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Bob Dylan, Alice In Chains, KISS, Alanis Morissette, Jay-Z).

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 9:09 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The Who - Live at the Isle of Wight Festival

The setlist here not far off Live at Hull from the same year, but in front of a massive crowd, which makes it sound sort of cavernous, but this is very much another great performance by the Who. I mean, I knew they were amazing live, but you never quite remember how great until you listen again. I haven’t listened to this show in maybe 25 years - shame on me. Really, I think the coda to Tommy is the moment of this show, but I’ll go with My Generation here since that Tommy coda would take it nearly every time.

The Essential Performance: My Generation

Up Next: Jimi Hendrix - Blue Wild Angel: Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970

PostPosted: Thu March 30, 2023 10:54 am 
Major Dude

liebzz wrote:
Just a note that we are quite a ways away from the 90s, but once we get there, we’re doing an Unplugged week. I have a stack of them ready to go but still taking recommendations on that (on the list between Spotify searches and already received recommendations: Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Mariah Carey, Pearl Jam, 10,000 Maniacs, Bruce Springsteen, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Bob Dylan, Alice In Chains, KISS, Alanis Morissette, Jay-Z).

LL Cool J

PostPosted: Thu March 30, 2023 2:51 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Jimi Hendrix - Blue Wild Angel: Live at the Isle of Wight Festival

Just weeks before his untimely death, this is the last of the Hendrix live albums we’ll cover here. I have this performance somewhere on DVD and have always remarked how slight he looks physically compared to just a year earlier at Woodstock. He looks fried, but there’s a big piece of this show where Jimi is looking forward, playing largely new material over 2 hours. Songs like Freedom, Ezy Rider, Dolly Dagger, Aand Message to Love slay live, and he’s still bringing it on the classics, including a particularly energetic Purple Haze. The closing In From the Storm closes with one last furious blast of notes from one of the all time greats.

The Essential Performance: Purple Haze

Up Next: Grateful Dead - Dick’s Picks Volume 8 - Harpur College, Binghamton, NY 1970

PostPosted: Thu March 30, 2023 3:51 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Btw, I think this is where we’re gonna see a gradual shift into the 70s. This first part of the journey was very heavy on Hendrix and The Who, probably among the most dominant live forces for rock music between Hendrix’s legend and Tommy. We’re turning the corner where we’ll spend a little time on the Dead’s probably first major live peak, the death throes of the 60s bands releasing live albums to generate some revenue, and a few different things that haven’t been beaten to death at least yet here.

PostPosted: Thu March 30, 2023 9:27 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:

:thumbsup:
I've been trying to think of solid 90s/00s suggestions but it seems the 'live album' release started to really fall by the wayside so glad you're devoting a full week to the Unplugged series (which I adored)
I'd add R.E.M. as they released their '91 and '01 Unplugged performances in 2014. I enjoy Neil Young's performance but certainly not going to be on Spotify.

PostPosted: Thu March 30, 2023 9:45 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Neil is on the list. I’ll find a way. R.E.M. is a great suggestion!

PostPosted: Thu March 30, 2023 11:03 pm 
Major Dude

LL Cool J

PostPosted: Thu March 30, 2023 11:05 pm 
Future Drummer

wease wrote:
LL Cool J

Classic B

PostPosted: Thu March 30, 2023 11:12 pm 
Major Dude

oasisfan35 wrote:
wease wrote:
LL Cool J

Classic B

No, I repeated it because my suggestion of it before was ignored. Not because I didn’t remember I posted it earlier.

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 12:04 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Oh, I looked for it but didn’t find it. I will track it down at some point.

Me:
Wease: “Mama said knock you out!”

With De La Soul correct? If so, added.

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 12:19 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

FYI, we’re at 17 Unplugged episodes.

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 2:13 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Grateful Dead - Dick’s Picks Vol. 8: Harpur College, Binghamton, NY 5/2/1970

Not since that big journey a few years ago have I put this one on. I loved it then, and I might love it even more now. Coming out all acoustic, the Dead roll through what seems like a debut of their more Americana sound, complete with harmonies. A number of these songs get such amazing treatment in this format. Their cover of I Know You Rider is amazing, Friend of the Devil and Dire Wolf are both spectacular, and particularly the set closing Uncle John’s Band might be my favorite version of that song I have heard. If that isn’t its own brand of a special night, set two is absolute fire. Not a single weak link in this show at all. I could quite literally put any song from this on the essential performance list and it would be appropriate. When this band is on, it’s hard to top it. Love the Dancing in the Street here, Morning Dew is stunning, Viola Lee Blues amazing. Damn.

The Essential Performance: Uncle John’s Band

Next Up: Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 2:54 pm 
Major Dude

liebzz wrote:

Me:

Actually yes. I had forgotten about the other acts that were there. All backed by the same 5-piece band. Great fucking episode.

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 5:12 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall

It’s been a while since I’ve hung out with Neil Young, with Spotify and Neil still at an impasse. His music feels like an old friend that’s back in town.

This performance is stunning from front to back. Just Neil, his guitar, piano, and the crowd. Neil’s songs command the crowd’s respect, and then huge adulation and rightfully so. And Neil does these songs right solo - as much so as with a full band, coloring new perspectives to old gems even if they weren’t old yet at the time of the performance. I struggle here - do I go with the most interesting arrangement in A Man Needs a Maid/Heart of Gold? The most beautiful rendition of Don’t Let It Bring You Down? My personal favorite in See the Sky About to Rain? I’ll take the performance on this one.

The Essential Performance: Don’t Let It Bring You Down

Next Up: Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live at the Fillmore 1970

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 10:13 pm 
Major Dude

wease wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Me:

Actually yes. I had forgotten about the other acts that were there. All backed by the same 5-piece band. Great fucking episode.

I just watched this for the first time in over 30 years. It’s fantastic. Top 5 Unplugged episode.

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 10:22 pm 
The Master

Pink Floyd just released DSOTM at Wembley Stadium as part of their 50th anniversary celebration, may want to add it to your list.

https://shop.pinkfloyd.com/product/X3LP ... on-1974-lp

PostPosted: Fri March 31, 2023 11:08 pm 
Major Dude

Add Live to your Unplugged list

PostPosted: Sat April 01, 2023 12:12 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

tragabigzanda wrote:
Pink Floyd just released DSOTM at Wembley Stadium as part of their 50th anniversary celebration, may want to add it to your list.

https://shop.pinkfloyd.com/product/X3LP ... on-1974-lp

Added.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 65  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands