The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 935 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2023
PostPosted: Mon February 27, 2023 4:54 am 
Production Police

I wish it were more tightly edited. There are some really adventurous moments, a few that are even thrilling. But almost every song seems to have sections that meander, or are derivative of other recent stuff, or are maybe trying to build tension but it’s not working.

The couple times I’ve listened, I’ve found that there are sections of a song where I’m like “this feels flat,” then the song will segue and I’ll think “no wait this rules.”

PostPosted: Mon February 27, 2023 5:00 am 
Future Drummer

Higgs wrote:
psychobain wrote:
redacted's most snatched (by far) lp from 2023 so far, Ryuichi Sakamoto (坂本龍一) - 12

This was gorgeous btw. Love me some Ryuichi Sakamoto.

PostPosted: Mon February 27, 2023 2:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
I wish it were more tightly edited. There are some really adventurous moments, a few that are even thrilling. But almost every song seems to have sections that meander, or are derivative of other recent stuff, or are maybe trying to build tension but it’s not working.

The couple times I’ve listened, I’ve found that there are sections of a song where I’m like “this feels flat,” then the song will segue and I’ll think “no wait this rules.”

:thumbsup:

Adventurous and thrilling for her as an artist? Or for Indie Pop as a genre in general?

Also, do you have an example of when built tension works?

PostPosted: Mon February 27, 2023 2:54 pm 
Production Police

epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Adventurous and thrilling for her as an artist? Or for Indie Pop as a genre in general?

I’m not familiar enough with her prior material to weigh in on her arc as an artist, so I guess I’d say for indie pop in general.

Hmm, good examples tension…

Cut Copy
DJ Shadow
Massive Attack
PJ Harvey
Shellac

Only the first one is in the similar sonic wheelhouse as her, so maybe not the best examples. But when I think of musical tension, I think of ideas that are interesting in their simplicity so much that I’ll pay attention for an extended period despite any obvious hooks or ear candy. I think with this album, sometimes I feel like I’m getting “here’s a musical idea with a bunch of stuff going on…” [yawn] then “Bam! Here’s something that will totally floor you!” [whoa!]

PostPosted: Mon February 27, 2023 2:55 pm 
Production Police

Not the best best example, but here’s some great tension/release:

PostPosted: Mon February 27, 2023 2:57 pm 
Production Police

And then Carly Rae is masterful at her song structuring. Much more pop in its formatting but she does a great job using 1-2 cool bits of ear candy to lure me in before the song even takes off. There’s a simplicity to her use of colorful production that I think it the best in the biz.

PostPosted: Mon February 27, 2023 3:08 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
epilogue wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I’m not familiar enough with her prior material to weigh in on her arc as an artist, so I guess I’d say for indie pop in general.

Hmm, good examples tension…

Cut Copy
DJ Shadow
Massive Attack
PJ Harvey
Shellac

Only the first one is in the similar sonic wheelhouse as her, so maybe not the best examples. But when I think of musical tension, I think of ideas that are interesting in their simplicity so much that I’ll pay attention for an extended period despite any obvious hooks or ear candy. I think with this album, sometimes I feel like I’m getting “here’s a musical idea with a bunch of stuff going on…” [yawn] then “Bam! Here’s something that will totally floor you!” [whoa!]

Cool, thanks for the reply. I meant examples of tension that works on her record. But your explanation is really what I was after.

PostPosted: Tue February 28, 2023 1:38 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Higgs wrote:
Heard this new single on the way into work this morning as well. I like it.

Cool tune. Probably the best Kiwi band currently.

Don't @ me, Beths stans.

PostPosted: Tue February 28, 2023 5:52 am 
Posting (live)

Higgs wrote:
I think we can all agree that Scottish bands are the best bands. Scottish band Young Fathers have released a new album "Heavy Heavy" this year and it is pretty enjoyable. Upbeat, bit of pop, bit of fun. Or as Pitchfork put it "Its beautiful, unsettling, messy, at once engaging and combative". Riiight.

Thanks for this Higgs. It's fucking tasty.

PostPosted: Thu March 02, 2023 7:06 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I did not respond well to the new US Girls record. Though, mad props for a song about rainbows AND a song about breast pumps on the same album.

PostPosted: Sat March 04, 2023 4:01 am 
Rank This Poster

this band continues to rule

PostPosted: Sat March 04, 2023 10:24 am 
Posting (live)

I enjoyed their last record and this one is good too. They remind me a lot of Electrelane.

PostPosted: Sat March 04, 2023 1:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

I can tell already that Feist is going to be a big part of my 2023.

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2023 2:20 am 
Rank This Poster

LetMeSleep wrote:
I enjoyed their last record and this one is good too. They remind me a lot of Electrelane.

someone actually recommended me this band very recently lol, guess i should listen

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2023 2:31 am 
Posting (live)

chewm wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

someone actually recommended me this band very recently lol, guess i should listen

Electrelane - The Power Out is the one.

PostPosted: Mon March 06, 2023 2:55 am 
Rank This Poster

LetMeSleep wrote:
chewm wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

i actually started listening to it right after my comment! this slaps for sure, love when bands are like slightly stereolab-ish but not quite

PostPosted: Wed March 08, 2023 2:12 am 
Rank This Poster

PostPosted: Wed March 08, 2023 3:45 am 

The new Manchester tunes are kinda vanilla, but I'm impressed by what the singer + guitarist achieved as co-producers. It sounds really damn good at least.

PostPosted: Thu March 09, 2023 11:07 am 

Finally got around to Polachek's latest, and I fully understand the hype. She and Danny L Harle did an outstanding job on this.

Just a fascinating melding of sounds and influences -- the instrumental behind "Pretty In Possible" reminds me of super early Massive Attack/Enigma. "Crude Drawing of an Angel" is sparse yet meticulously textured, like a love letter to Peter Gabriel. The soaring synths of "Smoke" would be right at home in a Jamie xx DJ set. It's all over the place in the best possible way. And Polachek's vocals refuse to miss throughout.

Avant-pop? Righto. This is some good shit.

PostPosted: Thu March 09, 2023 3:09 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

chewm wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
chewm wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

i actually started listening to it right after my comment! this slaps for sure, love when bands are like slightly stereolab-ish but not quite

i started listening to it the other night, and I really enjoy it. definitely in my wheelhouse.

interesting that steve albini recorded The Power Out, and the follow-up Axes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 935 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 47  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands