The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: The World's Best American Band - A White Reaper Thread
PostPosted: Sat December 10, 2022 1:14 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

New Album Jan 27th!

Post subject: Re: The World's Best American Band - A White Reaper Thread
PostPosted: Wed January 04, 2023 5:20 pm 

PostPosted: Wed January 04, 2023 8:01 pm 
Rank This Poster

All right, Bada I'll bite.

I think I saw White Reaper for the first time at the 7th Street Entry in 2018. I was impressed with them. The one moment of that show I remember hating was some black dude pulled up next to me and said, "What's this band called?" Saying White Reaper. Such a terrible name.

Saw them within a year and then immediately after they released "You Deserve Love." It was my favorite album of 2019. A local well-known group whose name I can't remember headlined the Minneapolis Filmore in the January or February of 2020, and White Reaper opened all 3 shows. I went to the first two. Loved the first, was horribly disappointed that the second night was virtually the same set and light on "You Deserve Love" tracks, and then abandoned going to the third. I was going to see them open for Pearl Jam in Budapest in June or July, but we all know how that went, and I didn't go when the tour was rescheduled last summer.

Anyway, of these three new tracks, I really like Fog Machine, think Pages is okay, and don't much care for Pink Slip. I think this band peaked with their last album. I'd happily go see them anyway, but despite an extensive upcoming tour, Minneapolis was left out.

I wish the keyboard was more prominently in some of the new songs.

Finally, my 5 favorite non-"You Deserve Love" tracks are
Pills, Sheila, Judy French, Little Silver Cross, and the new cut, Fog Machine.

PostPosted: Wed January 04, 2023 8:01 pm 
Rank This Poster

All right, Bada I'll bite.

I think I saw White Reaper for the first time at the 7th Street Entry in 2018. I was impressed with them. The one moment of that show I remember hating was some black dude pulled up next to me and said, "What's this band called?" Saying White Reaper. Such a terrible name.

Saw them within a year and then immediately after they released "You Deserve Love." It was my favorite album of 2019. A local well-known group whose name I can't remember headlined the Minneapolis Filmore in the January or February of 2020, and White Reaper opened all 3 shows. I went to the first two. Loved the first, was horribly disappointed that the second night was virtually the same set and light on "You Deserve Love" tracks, and then abandoned going to the third. I was going to see them open for Pearl Jam in Budapest in June or July, but we all know how that went, and I didn't go when the tour was rescheduled last summer.

Anyway, of these three new tracks, I really like Fog Machine, think Pages is okay, and don't much care for Pink Slip. I think this band peaked with their last album. I'd happily go see them anyway, but despite an extensive upcoming tour, Minneapolis was left out.

I wish the keyboard was more prominently in some of the new songs.

Finally, my 5 favorite non-"You Deserve Love" tracks are
Pills, Sheila, Judy French, Little Silver Cross, and the new cut, Fog Machine.

PostPosted: Thu January 05, 2023 2:44 pm 

Hi thanks for playing. I never heard of them before 2020. I think I googled new rock bands or something during a bout of pandemic lockdown boredom. I wasn't sure I liked the vocals at first but I ended up doing a deep dive and came out a fan. I agree they might have peaked but hope springs eternal. Whole heartedly endorse your top track picks.

PostPosted: Thu January 26, 2023 10:10 pm 

After a first listen to the new album it's not as good as the last one but its pretty solid. Perhaps too self consciously 80's in spots. Pretty sure it will grow on me.

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2023 8:19 am 
AnalLog

they were the support act for PJ last summer in Europe. I saw them twice and I thought they were terrible.

Almost every fan I talked to had the same opinion. Incredible misfit as a support act. The audience didn't really care about them. The Amsterdam show had Shame and that was the exact opposite, amazing band!

PostPosted: Fri January 27, 2023 12:51 pm 

Whenever I watch YouTube videos of them live the audience is just standing around so I'm guessing your experience is the norm. I don't know I like them.

PostPosted: Mon February 06, 2023 2:09 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I listened to the new album, and honestly first experience with this band. It was alright. The first half seemed stronger than the second.

PostPosted: Sat February 11, 2023 12:21 am 

Having listened to the new album a bunch I'm a little disappointed. There's something off about it. I can't shake the feeling that the band doesn't really believe in some of these songs. Fog Machine is a classic. It's a perfect White Reaper song. Pink Slip, Heaven or Not and Pages are all good songs. Getting into Trouble w/ the Boss has grown on me the most out all the songs I wasn't sure about. Funny Farm sounds like Velvet Revolver song to me and much like that band sometime I like it sometimes I don't. I like Bozo but I feel like I should like it more. The title track is the same I feel like I should really like it but it doesn't come together at all. Crawl Space and Thorn fall flat. Normally liking half an album is good enough for me but I'm greedy with this one I want to love all of it like the last album. Oh well. There's no doubt I'll spin it a ton more this year here's hoping in clicks for me more down the road.

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands