Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Artists you tried to get into, but failed (not sexual)

Sun August 14, 2022 7:00 pm

dad wrote:
Jorge wrote:They're closer to the Mario brothers

i love their music. i guess I'll have to check out these property brothers now.

my wife had a business party one night in nyc with the bacon brothers

Sun August 14, 2022 7:01 pm

dad wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:
epilogue wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:REM

I like REM but I certainly don't like them the way I feel like everyone thinks I should. This whole "greatest american rock band of all time" thing is absurd to me. But I do think they made some good music.

People say that? lol

they say it all the time.

Those people probably haven't heard Chat Pile is all.

Sun August 14, 2022 7:03 pm

REM is definitely one I really tried to like. I listened to their entire 80s output, and it was just awful. Couldn't even make it to the 90s, when they made a few ok songs.

Sun August 14, 2022 7:38 pm

dad wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:
epilogue wrote:

I like REM but I certainly don't like them the way I feel like everyone thinks I should. This whole "greatest american rock band of all time" thing is absurd to me. But I do think they made some good music.

People say that? lol

prove it

Sun August 14, 2022 7:46 pm

Chris_H_2 wrote:
dad wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:
epilogue wrote:

People say that? lol

prove it

make me.

Sun August 14, 2022 7:49 pm

Chris_H_2 wrote:
dad wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:
epilogue wrote:

People say that? lol

prove it

VinylGuy wrote:
stip wrote:REM is probably the best American rock band of all time. I think we just need to go ahead and realize this

True words. Seeing them live was a full realization of how good they were.

Norris wrote:Stip might be right on this one.

Sun August 14, 2022 7:56 pm

Well crap, I certainly have egg on my face. Dammit.

Sun August 14, 2022 7:59 pm

The Breeders are the greatest American rock band of all time

Sun August 14, 2022 8:14 pm

Ello Sailor wrote:I got into the Pumpkins in '01 and they're probably my favorite band of all time.

Billy's voice is just super polarizing. I don't think it's much deeper than that.

And yet his voice was not the blocker at all. Trag’s summary makes sense to me, though.

Sun August 14, 2022 8:20 pm

McParadigm wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:I got into the Pumpkins in '01 and they're probably my favorite band of all time.

Billy's voice is just super polarizing. I don't think it's much deeper than that.

And yet his voice was not the blocker at all. Trag’s summary makes sense to me, though.

I like Billy's voice.

Sun August 14, 2022 8:26 pm

Well this is a pleasant surprise.

Sun August 14, 2022 8:30 pm

if only corgan weren't such an asshat.

Sun August 14, 2022 8:41 pm

I mean, I guess. But if you're going to limit yourself to artists who aren't asshats you're going to have a bad time.

Sun August 14, 2022 8:47 pm

i never said i didn't like nor listened to their music.

Sun August 14, 2022 8:47 pm

I've tried the Grateful Dead a couple of times. Listened to studio albums, live shows, old stuff, newer stuff (Dead and Co. and the like), and while I feel like there's something there, they have never really clicked for me.

Sun August 14, 2022 10:20 pm

Simple Torture wrote:I've tried the Grateful Dead a couple of times. Listened to studio albums, live shows, old stuff, newer stuff (Dead and Co. and the like), and while I feel like there's something there, they have never really clicked for me.

Don’t make me go on another diatribe…

Actually that was nicely said for not liking them but getting that there’s something there.

Mon August 15, 2022 12:45 am

Simple Torture wrote:I've tried the Grateful Dead a couple of times. Listened to studio albums, live shows, old stuff, newer stuff (Dead and Co. and the like), and while I feel like there's something there, they have never really clicked for me.

I'm an odd case because I only really like Grateful Dead up to early 1973. I like some of the studio material after that but their live sound and performances just don't cut it for me compared to those earlier days. There are a variety of nice soundboard recordings from those early years that make fine listening now and then.

Mon August 15, 2022 2:38 am

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:

I'm an odd case because I only really like Grateful Dead up to early 1973. I like some of the studio material after that but their live sound and performances just don't cut it for me compared to those earlier days. There are a variety of nice soundboard recordings from those early years that make fine listening now and then.

I love all of it, but I will say there’s something special about pre-‘73. With Pigpen they had found a way to blend psychedelia and blues that was pure magic. They took a lot of different turns after that, most of which I am fully behind, but I get where you’re coming from.

Mon August 15, 2022 3:09 pm

epilogue wrote:

Yeah agreed. There are certainly songs Ilike. They are a greatest hits album band for me, which I own. I’ve tried going deeper — multiple times — outside of their hits and I just end up having a bad time.

Mon August 15, 2022 3:31 pm

Neutral Milk Hotel

They blew up when I was a freshman in college, so I was right in the wheelhouse of their demographic. I downloaded In an Aeroplane, listened to it plenty enough, but always felt like I was having to listen to it instead of wanting to listen to it. I tried Avery Island, same thing. Every friend I had who was into music (all 3 of them) kept talking about them. We went to see them live. I just couldn’t find myself interested. I think as an 18 year old, with new college friends, I was just trying hard to fit in. I ended up trying over and over through college, thinking I was just missing something, and just couldn’t find a care in the world.

Certainly a band I haven’t listened to in a long time. And not a band I like. But because of all of that effort and the amount of times I heard them on my or my friend’s stereo, when I do hear a song or think about them now it takes me back to a particular moment in life and soundtracks very specific memories … even though I didn’t find interest in the music.
Post a reply