Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Artists who re-recorded their own songs

Tue August 09, 2022 4:09 am

Wheatus re-recorded Teenage Dirtbag after the original masters went missing. I think the point in this case was more to get a replica version though.

Wheatus Rerecord Teenage Dirtbag

Tue August 09, 2022 4:10 am

Conor Oberst re-recording some stuff with guest appearances for some of the Bright Eyes reissues and now trag has removed me his phone’s contact list

Tue August 09, 2022 5:14 am

ELO “Mr. Blue Sky” album from 10 years ago. All the hits, I believe completely re-recorded by Jeff from the ground up. Most of them sound pretty good, IMO.

Tue August 09, 2022 9:54 am

INXS were repeat offenders.

The Loved One was an early single (1981?) (& on the INXSIVE album) then got another airing on Kick in 1987

and they also re-recorded early tracks Just Keep Walking, Barbarian, Stay Young and In Vain in Capri in '92 while recording Full Moon Dirty Hearts and they all surfaced on the Stay Young 1979-1982 The Complete Deluxe Years compilation.

Tue August 09, 2022 2:49 pm

Eric Chenaux is known for doing this as he regards his songs as never truly finished and always up for reinterpretation.

"Skullsplitter":

Bonus version done by his jazz quintet Drumheller

"Boon Harp":

"However Wildly We Dream":

Tue August 09, 2022 3:10 pm

Max Richter did the album "Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi Four Seasons" in 2012, and then in 2022 released "The New Four Seasons - Vivaldi Recomposed."

Tue August 09, 2022 3:51 pm

Hunters and Collectors did this also with Throw Your Arms Around Me.

1984 single version:

1990 for a best of comp:

Tue August 09, 2022 8:29 pm

Simple Torture wrote:Will Oldham has done this with like half of his catalogue. One song that sticks out is "I See A Darkness." The original is almost dirge-like, and if you're not already in a bummer mood, it can put you in one. The re-recording is best described as jaunty, I think, even with the same lyrics. Which one I prefer depends on my mood.

100% the original.

The original is one of my favorites. It's never put me in a bummer mood, actually. I find it comforting and lovely.

Tue August 09, 2022 9:54 pm

Meshuggah re-recorded and re-released the entirety of Nothing

Wed August 10, 2022 11:19 am

Higgs wrote:Hunters and Collectors did this also with Throw Your Arms Around Me.

1984 single version:

1990 for a best of comp:

Great band.

Not quite the same thing but Mark Seymour also snuck yet another version on the end of one of his solo albums (One-Eyed Man perhaps?)

Wed August 10, 2022 11:28 am

Oh and of course Revolution and Revolution 1
Post a reply