The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: The music you'll never hear again
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I remember a band from Colorado in the mid-90s called "Splitter". They were three guys, probably high school aged, in a garage with a drum set, a bass, and a guitar. They sounded like three kids aping "Tourettes" through a 4-track recorder for 45 minutes. The album art was a distorted picture of a cable splitter on a white backdrop with the word "splitter" in stencil print. I think I ordered this CD from the back of SPIN magazine on a whim.

I think about this CD a lot and I seriously doubt I'll ever hear these songs again. No chance they got a record deal. Probably paid their own money to produce and distribute. I'd be surprised if there was anything uploaded to the internet from them at all.

This is a thread about that. Songs you remember. Songs and bands that never made it. Songs from your old local scene. All of it. Share it here and let's reminisce on the fleeting power of music.

Post subject: Re: The music you'll never hear again
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:17 pm 
Gone

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:30 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Not sure this fits the thread premise, but I'm certain I'll never hear this again:

When I was 13 or so, I was on trip to Florida with my family, and one night we had dinner with some extended family who lived there. I met one of my second cousins, this girl in her early 20s with an Italian boyfriend. I spoke to the guy for a bit -- he was noticeably older than her, probably in his late 30s. I thought he was so cool, but looking back he was probably a total scrub.

The reason I thought he was so cool was I was first getting into punk music at the time, and this guy knew all about it. I told him I'd just gotten NOFX's White Trash Two Heebs and a Bean, he recommended Strung Out's Twisted By Design. I told him I loved the Ramones, he told me about Johnny Thunders. I'd never met an adult who liked punk music before. His girlfriend wasn't really into it.

He also had a band, named Chavo Guy, and they'd just recorded their first demo CD. He gifted me a copy. It had a picture of a pot-smoking Woody Woodpecker as the cover. It had two tracks: "Hey Bartender" and "You Lied Again." It was pretty mediocre, but at the time it blew my mind that someone I knew was capable of making music that sounded like that. I still remember every lyric and every chord of both those songs. I can play them on guitar.

Italian guy and my second cousin broke up not long after the one time I met him. At some point I misplaced the CD and it was lost forever. Every couple years I search the Internet to see if there's any trace left of it. No results anywhere, no blogs, no mp3s, no nothing. It's like Chavo Guy never existed. I think I probably think about that demo CD more than anyone involved with making it ever did.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:41 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

typical esoteric bullshit from reid

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:56 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

There was a ska/swing remix of Infested by Morphine that was all over the radio in KC in like 93/94? I haven't been able to find it on tape/disc/streaming service since. Man, I loved that remix. I had it on a tape that I made trying to grab Spin The Black Circle.

Good times.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Jorge wrote:
Not sure this fits the thread premise, but I'm certain I'll never hear this again:

When I was 13 or so, I was on trip to Florida with my family, and one night we had dinner with some extended family who lived there. I met one of my second cousins, this girl in her early 20s with an Italian boyfriend. I spoke to the guy for a bit -- he was noticeably older than her, probably in his late 30s. I thought he was so cool, but looking back he was probably a total scrub.

The reason I thought he was so cool was I was first getting into punk music at the time, and this guy knew all about it. I told him I'd just gotten NOFX's White Trash Two Heebs and a Bean, he recommended Strung Out's Twisted By Design. I told him I loved the Ramones, he told me about Johnny Thunders. I'd never met an adult who liked punk music before. His girlfriend wasn't really into it.

He also had a band, named Chavo Guy, and they'd just recorded their first demo CD. He gifted me a copy. It had a picture of a pot-smoking Woody Woodpecker as the cover. It had two tracks: "Hey Bartender" and "You Lied Again." It was pretty mediocre, but at the time it blew my mind that someone I knew was capable of making music that sounded like that. I still remember every lyric and every chord of both those songs. I can play them on guitar.

Italian guy and my second cousin broke up not long after the one time I met him. At some point I misplaced the CD and it was lost forever. Every couple years I search the Internet to see if there's any trace left of it. No results anywhere, no blogs, no mp3s, no nothing. It's like Chavo Guy never existed. I think I probably think about that demo CD more than anyone involved with making it ever did.

This is 1000% what this thread is about.

Doubtful, but it would be cool if, through the limited crowd-sourcing capabilities of RM, we could find some of this music for each other again.

I will definitely be on the lookout for that Woody Woodpecker album cover in used bins now and for the rest of my bargain-bin hunting days.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:05 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

macphisto wrote:

Not the same band. These guys were pasty, Nirvana-emulating nerds.

Or maybe it's the same band and they locked in to a more successful sound. Who knows. All I know is that I'll likely never hear the music I described again.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:33 pm 
Poster of the Year

washing machine wrote:
I remember a band from Colorado in the mid-90s called "Splitter". They were three guys, probably high school aged, in a garage with a drum set, a bass, and a guitar. They sounded like three kids aping "Tourettes" through a 4-track recorder for 45 minutes. The album art was a distorted picture of a cable splitter on a white backdrop with the word "splitter" in stencil print. I think I ordered this CD from the back of SPIN magazine on a whim.

I think about this CD a lot and I seriously doubt I'll ever hear these songs again. No chance they got a record deal. Probably paid their own money to produce and distribute. I'd be surprised if there was anything uploaded to the internet from them at all.

This is a thread about that. Songs you remember. Songs and bands that never made it. Songs from your old local scene. All of it. Share it here and let's reminisce on the fleeting power of music.

This is essentially a Pete & Pete episode.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Oh yeah?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:42 pm 
Poster of the Year

Yeah. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... rdDaysPete

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I remember something else about Splitter, the band from Colorado.

One of the songs on that cd was called "When I Was a Girl". I remember how it goes, but yeah, I never really hear it again.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Norris wrote:

Wow. That's nuts.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:47 pm 
Poster of the Year

washing machine wrote:
Norris wrote:

Wow. That's nuts.

It's an incredible episode of television.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:49 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

There's a great Reply All episode about this sort of thing, too.

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/o2h8bx

Quote:
A man in California is haunted by the memory of a pop song from his youth. He can remember the lyrics and the melody. But the song itself has vanished, completely scrubbed from the internet. PJ takes on the Super Tech Support case.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:50 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

epilogue wrote:
There's a great Reply All episode about this sort of thing, too.

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/o2h8bx

Quote:
A man in California is haunted by the memory of a pop song from his youth. He can remember the lyrics and the melody. But the song itself has vanished, completely scrubbed from the internet. PJ takes on the Super Tech Support case.

Yeah, I actually had that Reply All episode (and the short lived Gimlet series Mystery Show) in mind with this thread.

The concept of recounting music you'll never hear again would probably be a great podcast series on its own.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:06 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

There was this local band in upstate New York called the Ominous Seapods. Swore they’d be the next Phish, especially with this killer guitarist, who ultimately quit the band. Their replacement guitarist was a guy who was in another upstate NY jam band I believe called Cooter Stew who had sold their cD-Rs at the show? I have the CD-R somewhere, but nothing ever surfaced of them, and after the first album with the new guy, Ominous Seapods were no more - but you can at least listen to them on Spotify (Jet smooth Ride and their live album, Matinee Idols, we’re both quite good - and featured the first guitarist). I don’t think I will be likely to hear any of it again, but I must have seen Ominous Seapods 5-10 times while I was in college.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:37 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

This dude who used to bully the fuck out of me in Junior High (he was a year older than me) ended up being a close friend in High School. Anyway, after he graduated he started a band called Tant Mieux. They were incredible. They're biggest influence at the time was Smashing Pumpkins.

The lead guitar player wanted to be a Navy Seal. But he wasn't allowed to join because he was color blind. It devastated him and he killed himself. Then a few years later the lead singer (my former bully turned friend) died unexpectedly at home.

I think about their music all the time. Such an incredible group. They had a song called "Life Guard" that was a retooled song from the lead singer's former band. Originally the song was Christian Rock and it was about Jesus. Then when he formed Tant Mieux he changed it to be a summer lust song about an actual lifeguard. :lol:

I had a demo of the Christian version of the song for a long, long time. But that disc is long gone now. No idea what happened to it. I never had any Tant Mieux music, though. They never released a demo or anything.

But I still think about "Life Guard" all the time and find myself humming it unexpectedly.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:50 pm 
Gone

Pearl Jam pre 2003?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:55 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

verb_to_trust wrote:
Pearl Jam pre 2003?

So you're sticking with the good stuff, Avocado onwards

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:19 am 
Rank This Poster

Years ago a mate lent me a Living Color CD that had a cover of James Brown's "Talking Loud, Ain't Sayin' Nothin" on it. No idea what the CD was, but man I loved that song.

I taped it to a C90 mix tape, but that's long gone now.

Ive searched over the years for that track but never been able to find it.

Weird given its from such a well known band, but there you go.

<Edit> Except I literally just searched YouTube for it for the first time in years and found it straight away. Yay for me, but I'll show myself out of the thread...

Spoiler: show

Last edited by Higgs on Sat May 14, 2022 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands