The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Turntables and Stereo Equipment
PostPosted: Mon October 31, 2022 9:51 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

If it's good enough for Kevin Shields, then why not?

PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2022 9:41 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Ello Sailor wrote:
Sounds like you're afraid to discover whether or not those bad boys can handle The Downward Spiral.

Oh it's on the docket.

Honestly, I think they will sound really great, but I don't think I'll reach aural nirvana until I have the right amp/pre-amp setup to drive them. "High efficiency" speakers tend to reveal the shortcomings of moderately priced gear.

Gonna listen to this tomorrow.

Also, I swapped my speakers for the same model but a different wood finish. And then I bought a new stylus, an ATVM540M. It's a significant upgrade from my last one.

Where these things really shine is with densely produced albums with a lot of information. Sure, they are amazing with open and airy recordings like Gillian Welch or Buena Vista Social Club. But Radiohead albums, Binaural, Haim, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot...Everything is so clearly and fully articulated. Every sound is full present, nothing is stepping on top of anything else. It's incredible. Bringing some of my favorite albums to life in whole new ways.

PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2022 9:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I dream of one day having a few grand to spend on a proper setup.

PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2022 9:44 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:

Do you own Mezzanine or Dummy on vinyl?

PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2022 9:44 pm 
The Master

epilogue wrote:

:heartbeat:

PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2022 9:45 pm 
The Master

Ello Sailor wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Do you own Mezzanine or Dummy on vinyl?

Dummy is on my to-buy list! Also the live record.

Never been a huge fan of Mezzanine. Don't hate it at all, I just outgrew it one day and it hasn't really clicked since then. [ducks]

PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2022 9:47 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
epilogue wrote:

:heartbeat:

UMMMMM.... thank you for this. I'm at work at can't watch it just yet, but I'm so looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2022 9:49 pm 
The Master

He's is my favorite youtube audio personality. Very likable, very smart, very reasonable.

PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2022 9:50 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
Never been a huge fan of Mezzanine. Don't hate it at all, I just outgrew it one day and it hasn't really clicked since then. [ducks]

My brother in Christ, one does not simply outgrow the production masterclass of Mezzanine.

PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2022 9:55 pm 
The Master

Ello Sailor wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

My brother in Christ, one does not simply outgrow the production masterclass of Mezzanine.

the production is still amazing!

PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2022 9:56 pm 
The Master

Fine I'll play it again sometime soon. That whole era of music is tough for me now: Massive Attack, Roni Size & Represent, UNKLE, DJ Krush...Went HARD on all that stuff from 98-2005 or so. Much of it just feels very druggy to me now.

PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2022 10:03 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
Fine I'll play it again sometime soon.

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2022 5:11 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
super nintendo chalmers wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
First listen through the Audioengine B1 is Random Access Memories in 24/96 FLAC and it sounds great. The Bluetooth AAC codec bumps it down to 24/48 transmitted at 256kbps, but because both devices natively support AAC (and I’ve wiped my iPad of literally everything except for Amazon Music), the idea is that there should be no audible difference between wireless and Apple’s native wired fidelity (a DAC connector for the iPad would upend all of this, offering 24/96 with no bandwidth limitations).

The album sounds detailed and smooth, although the top end is still a little glassy for my liking. I think it has more to do with the mastering job. I’ll A/B some warmer recording this weekend between vinyl and the B1.

Some great reading is here:

https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate- ... aac-20296/

I absolutely love my B1. It felt like a total spurge at the time, but I really wanted to hear the second Neil archive in good quality (and on my stereo as opposed to headphones on the work laptop). And with the amount of use it gets, it's worth every penny. I futzed for ages trying to find something similar. I picked up a used AirPort that did OKAY...but was a total headache after awhile. The B1 was a revelation.

I do intent to get a wired DAC down the line, but not for at least a couple more years.

I was doing some reading and realized I'd made a pretty boneheaded error way back when I set this up: In using the optical out to my receiver, I was in effect converting the B1 codec to the inferior codec of my mid-grade Yamaha DAC. So while I was getting some benefits from the B1 and my dedicated streaming iPad (stability of processing and wide-band bluetooth, so little to no variance in streaming quality from processor or signal interference), I was still limited to the Yamaha codecs AND introducing another conversion step. D'oh!

Anyway I got an order of fancy silver RCA plugs from Decware last week and got my B1 set up with those, so now I'm actually hearing its codec support (still 1-2 conversion steps, from Amazon Music HD FLAC > iPad BT AAC > Audioengine B1(?) -- does this last step convert to aptX HD, or default to AAC, both of which are supported by Audioengine?). Everything sounds great, but I need to visit a few well-known albums to really qualify just how better it is (if at all).

I'm keeping my eye out for DAC setups that use Snapdragon bluetooth, which is just now supporting aptX Lossless. Will ultimately get something like the Fiio M11Plus and a BT receiver that both support aptX Lossless, once such a receiver hits the market.

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2022 12:19 pm 
Major Dude

My god. You make listening to music sound so exhausting. I don’t even want to listen to music after reading all that.

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2022 1:54 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

There's a local dude I started following on Instagram a while back. Someone I follow had tagged him I think. Most of his posts are of his stereo setup in his house, and he gets pretty technical, and has very expensive equipment, which he uses for his turntable, and playback of DAC, HD-FLAC, MQA(?), etc. I started following him because in a few of his posts he props up PJ vinyls (Vs., Ten, LO2L). He also custom builds cabinets, shelving, and tables for stereo equipment.

As far as his setup, and all the technical jargon he uses in his posts, it's hard to follow and really get where he's coming from just to play some music.

I get wease's point, but I also see how one could get locked in to bringing out the best sound. It sounds like a true passion is what I'm saying. An expensive one, but a passion nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2022 3:00 pm 
The Master

Yes

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2022 4:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Stereo equipment and its performance, for me, is a lot like art. I can look at a Monet in a museum and be blown away, while trag is over there looking at schooners in a 3D painting and I can’t see shit

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2022 4:42 pm 
The Master

My experience is that there are cases where one big purchase -- like my speakers -- make a huge, immediately impactful difference.

Then there are other parts of the signal chain where the sum total of small parts will collectively make a big difference. This is the path I'm on now, making all sorts of little tweaks over the next year or so. Did my changing the DAC signal flow really make a massive difference? Nah, but it's a step down the path.

Once I'm through with all that, I'll go with one more big swing for a high-end turntable + moving coil cartridge.

PostPosted: Fri December 23, 2022 5:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

That dude needs to learn how to edit, that video could have been 35 seconds long. I guess audiophiles don’t compress their YouTube videos either

PostPosted: Wed March 29, 2023 10:38 pm 
The Master

About a month ago, I started getting some audible rumble whenever i turned up the volume on my receiver while using the turntable as my source.

Took me a minute to hunt down the source of the issue, but I became convinced it was because the motor of my vintage Pioneer PL-516 had never once been serviced.

I was able to identify the motor type (DC servo), and found a YouTube video of a guy servicing the exact same motor in another turntable:

https://youtu.be/ypSAJNVfGqw

Seemed easy enough, so a couple weeks ago I set to tackling the project…until I got to the motor where the screws had fused into the housing. So I had to set it aside while I waited for a special pair of electronic screw pliers to arrive from Japan.

They finally came a couple days ago, and today I wrapped things up, getting the motor cleaned, buffed with a dremel + wire brush, oiled up and reassembled.

Nearly a month without my turntable and I’m glad to report it’s back in action, with another 10db or so of gain before I start to hear any motor noise (and that’s at especially high levels, around 95db or so which I’m basically never hitting).

This probably all sounds very fussy and unnecessary, but I absolutely love it. I want to spend the rest of my life futzing with my gear in pursuit of better fidelity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands