The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: Re: New Kings Of Leon single "Supersoaker"
PostPosted: Wed July 24, 2013 4:36 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I remember reading that when they signed the deal they went out and bought the Led Zeppelin discography and a few pounds of weed.

I like them just for that. Aha Shake will always be a classic to me. First 3 lps are solid. Then a little up and down after that.

Like em enough to listen.

PostPosted: Wed July 24, 2013 4:41 pm 
Rank This Poster

Tyler Durden wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
I watched their embarrassing doc on Netflix the other night. They totally glossed over the whole 'we don't write our own songs' thing.....not to mention how it was they actually got signed.

This new song does absolutely nothing for me by the way. Sounds to me like these guys are rich and out of ideas.

Angelo Petraglia co-wrote the first album; I don't see that as a big deal. I can think of many successful bands who take credit for writing their own material and it's awful. :haha:

As for how they got signed, weren't they first signed as a duo (Caleb and Nathan) and the record company wanted to market them that way?

who the hell is this petraglia guy? is he only known b/c of KOL? and how the hell did they know them?

from what i understand, they record company wanted to market them as a "brother" band have find musicans for them. they said they wanted their cuz and other brother in the band, so the record company let them do what they wanted.

i also thought the doc. on them was awesome.

PostPosted: Wed July 24, 2013 4:54 pm 
Banned from the Pit

warehouse wrote:
who the hell is this petraglia guy? is he only known b/c of KOL? and how the hell did they know them?

When Caleb and Nathan went to Nashville to score a record deal, they met Angelo Petraglia. He's written and produced a lot of country artists...from great artists like Patty Griffin and Emmylou Harris to crap like Brooks & Dunn and Taylor Swift.

warehouse wrote:
from what i understand, they record company wanted to market them as a "brother" band have find musicans for them. they said they wanted their cuz and other brother in the band, so the record company let them do what they wanted.

Yeah, they said they didn't want to be Evan and Jaron. :haha:

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 10:52 pm 
Technical Overlord

I saw on Wikipedia that Angelo is involved on the new album. Color me intrigued.

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 11:07 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Whitey McTeeth wrote:
I saw on Wikipedia that Angelo is involved on the new album. Color me intrigued.

Angelo has pretty much co-produced all of their albums.

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 7:46 pm 
Future Drummer

Hold on. Are you telling me that my respect for this band is going to take a huge nose dive? They have other people write their songs? Is this true? What is the truth people?

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 9:11 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Harry Lime wrote:
Hold on. Are you telling me that my respect for this band is going to take a huge nose dive? They have other people write their songs? Is this true? What is the truth people?

As I stated above, Angelo Petraglia co-wrote Youth & Young Manhood with Caleb and Nathan. He also co-wrote "Pistol Of Fire" and "Soft" (I'm assuming these were leftovers from the first album's writing sessions).

I don't think it's a big deal. There are artists who have made great albums with outside writing help...and artists who have made bad albums and took full credit for the writing *cough*Riot Act*cough* :haha:

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 9:20 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Tyler Durden wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:

As I stated above, Angelo Petraglia co-wrote Youth & Young Manhood with Caleb and Nathan. He also co-wrote "Pistol Of Fire" and "Soft" (I'm assuming these were leftovers from the first album's writing sessions).

I don't think it's a big deal. There are artists who have made great albums with outside writing help...and artists who have made bad albums and took full credit for the writing *cough*Riot Act*cough* :haha:

Hey, you watch it there

Though you are right on the fact that its no big deal

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 9:33 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:

Hey, you watch it there

Though you are right on the fact that its no big deal

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan...even before they were a band, I was into Mother Love Bone. I've seen PJ numerous time over the years (first show was in '92)...but as far as the albums go, most I LOVE while a couple I'm lukewarm on (Binaural and Riot Act).

I pride myself in being one of Pearl Jam's biggest fans...and in turn, one of their biggest critics. I'm not a blind worshipper of everything they do like some of the scary fanatics I've met at shows. :haha:

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 10:13 pm 
tl;dr

I heard this song on the radio the other day. It was pretty bad. I don't think this band really does it for me.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 8:34 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

I was under the impression that many of KOL's earlier songs started as a drunken ad-lib from Caleb. Which is why many of their earlier songs (i.e. first 3 albums) were not only brilliant, but Caleb mumbled and slurred his vocals in the studio recordings.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 1:22 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Not defending KoL in particular they are just one group in a long line of bands I was into for 5 min and forgot about but I have no problems with bands collaborating with outside people. It's about having good songs. As long as credit is given.

PostPosted: Sun July 28, 2013 12:29 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

Supersoaker is a good name for a band and now I can never use it because the word has been tainted by this fairly atrocious single.

PostPosted: Sun July 28, 2013 2:12 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Fuzzcharger wrote:
Supersoaker is a good name for a band and now I can never use it because the word has been tainted by this fairly atrocious single.

Anyone not liking the single version of supersoaker, check out the live version from jimmy fallon last week, i didn't like the single but the live version is a lot better imo

PostPosted: Sun July 28, 2013 9:09 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I'm not quite sure what people are disliking about this song. It sounds like KOL.

PostPosted: Sun July 28, 2013 9:48 am 

harmless wrote:
I'm not quite sure what people are disliking about this song. It sounds like KOL.

Well, yeah, that's pretty much the long and short of it.

PostPosted: Sun July 28, 2013 9:51 am 

Birds in Hell wrote:
harmless wrote:

Well, yeah, that's pretty much the long and short of it.

I understand that perfectly. :nice:

But fans of this band disliking this song are being needlessly picky imo.

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands