The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Kings Of Leon single "Supersoaker"
PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 2:57 am 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
But seriously, I didn't listen to that new song in the OP.

Probably for the best, just keep listening to the soundcheck song instead, friend

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 2:59 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
But seriously, I didn't listen to that new song in the OP.

Probably for the best, just keep listening to the soundcheck song instead, friend

:ohyeah!:

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 3:04 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

I really only liked the 'Because of the times' album, it gets a regular rotation once in a while. That was KOL's best work. Shame they haven't done anything good since. :shake:

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 3:05 am 
The Master

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
I really only liked the 'Because of the times' album, it gets a regular rotation once in a while. That was KOL's best work. Shame they haven't done anything good since. :shake:

Because of the times is great and so were the previous records but they really took a shit dive. Its fine. its not a shame because im not emotionally invested.

Their documentary is pretty great though; talahina sky or whatever.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 8:50 am 
10Club Complaint Department

darth_vedder wrote:
harmless wrote:
I like it.

Since when was Kings of Leon not vanilla?

Their first 3 albums.

OK, so 'vanilla' just means 'has a rough production'?

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 8:51 am 

I like all of their music apart from the last album, save three songs: Pyro, Mary and Back Down South.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 9:25 am 
what on earth am I talking about

This is a very uninspired retread of their older work. It's very bland.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 10:02 am 

I don't look for much with KOL, but I like 'em enough. I don't think this is any more bland than the first three. It's a good song; methinks people could be put off by the neon signs and the 'sentimental girls' lyric. I wonder whether, if it had some mud-slingin' barn-stompin' rodeo mud or bar brawl in the video, everyone would love it.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 10:32 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Yeah I could go for that. This is a bit safe.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 1:06 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

harmless wrote:
I like all of their music apart from the last album, save three songs: Pyro, Mary and Back Down South.

back down south was kinda cool live before the album came out but really wasnt good on the album IMO

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 1:07 pm 

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
harmless wrote:

back down south was kinda cool live before the album came out but really wasnt good on the album

Well I loved it. Never heard the live version but it was easily the best song on the album.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 1:10 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

harmless wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
harmless wrote:

back down south was kinda cool live before the album came out but really wasnt good on the album

Well I loved it. Never heard the live version but it was easily the best song on the album.

it could be that by the time the album came out i was starting to be put off by them personally

it could just be too that it didnt live up to what i was expecting since i did hear it live first, that could be a good reason for not hearing songs live first i guess, the album version probably wont live up.

im pretty sure ill give this album a chance when it comes out and see if they can change my mind and i can get back to enjoying their music

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 1:24 pm 

:thumbsup:

I get the criticisms people have thrown at this band, honestly. But I never expected them not to 'sell out', so it didn't surprise me or anything when they did. They first appeared in the UK and became huge with an Indie Hipster audience, the kind of audience that worshipped a bunch of bands beginning with 'The...'. It was a really annoying time for music. That said, their music was always marginally more interesting and they didn't really fit in with the 'The' band British Indie scene, being more hillbilly Southern rock (and American rather than English and pretentious... crucial). I wasn't a massive fan of YAYM apart from a few songs, but I loved Aha Shake. I liked their more polished rock sound at Because of The Times. And although I could tell they were becoming more commercial and the success was going to their heads, I really did like Only By the Night as an album, and I still love all the songs most of my peers hate ('Sex On Fire', 'Use Somebody'... both great songs). The only band I could compare these to, since they've also been based in a Southern Rock / Americana schtick, is Counting Crows. They too have done more rocky stuff, and more shiny happy pop stuff. But I've really liked all of it. Really well-written songs, with all different kinds of moods, and yeah some of them are superficial and fun. But both of these bands do superficial and fun better than Pearl Jam. And Caleb Followill is cute, one of my first conscious man crushes.

Maybe we can all agree that they should never have modelled for jeans catalogues or whatever that was.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 1:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

harmless wrote:

I get the criticisms people have thrown at this band, honestly. But I never expected them not to 'sell out', so it didn't surprise me or anything when they did. They first appeared in the UK and became huge with an Indie Hipster audience, the kind of audience that worshipped a bunch of bands beginning with 'The...'. It was a really annoying time for music. That said, their music was always marginally more interesting and they didn't really fit in with the 'The' band British Indie scene, being more hillbilly Southern rock (and American rather than English and pretentious... crucial). I wasn't a massive fan of YAYM apart from a few songs, but I loved Aha Shake. I liked their more polished rock sound at Because of The Times. And although I could tell they were becoming more commercial and the success was going to their heads, I really did like Only By the Night as an album, and I still love all the songs most of my peers hate ('Sex On Fire', 'Use Somebody'... both great songs). The only band I could compare these to, since they've also been based in a Southern Rock / Americana schtick, is Counting Crows. They too have done more rocky stuff, and more shiny happy pop stuff. But I've really liked all of it. Really well-written songs, with all different kinds of moods, and yeah some of them are superficial and fun. But both of these bands do superficial and fun better than Pearl Jam. And Caleb Followill is cute, one of my first conscious man crushes.

Maybe we can all agree that they should never have modelled for jeans catalogues or whatever that was.

very good write up, i agree with you on most everything, and the selling out part didnt bother me, if they wanna make money then let them make money, but the side effect of that is their big heads and bad attitudes, and IMO just shitting on their audience (mainly Caleb) with that stuff a year or 2 ago. now i can understand he had a problem, but you fix that before you fuck over the people that made you rich. as far as the music i love their first 3 albums, the 4th is pretty good, the only song i hate is "Use somebody" and their 5th album didnt get a ton of play from me, but at least half of it is good. im pretty sure im gonna get back to a point where i listen to KOL a bunch again because i do think they are a pretty good band, and i was really into them for quite a long time, ive just gotta get over my own stupid hang up about them :lol:

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 1:40 pm 

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
harmless wrote:

very good write up, i agree with you on most everything, and the selling out part didnt bother me, if they wanna make money then let them make money, but the side effect of that is their big heads and bad attitudes, and IMO just shitting on their audience (mainly Caleb) with that stuff a year or 2 ago. now i can understand he had a problem, but you fix that before you fuck over the people that made you rich. as far as the music i love their first 3 albums, the 4th is pretty good, the only song i hate is "Use somebody" and their 5th album didnt get a ton of play from me, but at least half of it is good. im pretty sure im gonna get back to a point where i listen to KOL a bunch again because i do think they are a pretty good band, and i was really into them for quite a long time, ive just gotta get over my own stupid hang up about them :lol:

Yup. There's no excuse for being a douchebag, for sure. I'm wondering whether their general drop out of favour will make them work just a little harder musically again. There last album was OK but it was lazy, almost like they knew their formula and just trotted it out. Like Backspacer I guess.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 1:40 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

harmless wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
harmless wrote:
I like it.

Since when was Kings of Leon not vanilla?

Their first 3 albums.

OK, so 'vanilla' just means 'has a rough production'?

I guess so. I don't think Because of the Times is vanilla at all. The first 2 albums are just solid dirty rockers. The rest, :shake:

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 1:43 pm 

I really like vanilla ice cream. Maybe that's my issue.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 1:47 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

harmless wrote:

I like French Vanilla, oh la la.

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 1:48 pm 

darth_vedder wrote:
harmless wrote:

I like French Vanilla, oh la la.

:li:

PostPosted: Fri July 19, 2013 1:49 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I don't mind this song at all. Good radio tune. Of course, I have nothing invested in this band, don't ever seek them out, nor was I following them in their early years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands