The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: The Allman Brothers Band - A Career Retrospective
PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 6:03 pm 
Future Drummer

The Allman Brothers Band (ABB) – A Liebzz style review of their studio and selected live albums, or what Wikipedia calls their studio and contemporary live albums. I am pretty familiar with the songs on ‘At Fillmore East’ and any radio single but a lot of their catalogue, especially studio versions of songs will be new to me. I've bolded what I think are the best songs off of each album.

The Allman Brothers Band (1969) - I am not sure if I had ever heard the first song ‘Don’t Want You No More’ but it’s great. Maximum ABB from the get go. ‘It’s Not My Cross To Bear’ and ‘Black Hearted Woman’ are next. The conciseness of these songs done n the studio add a little muscle and grit to songs I only knew in live, jammed out versions. Gregg Allman’s vocals have a beautiful bite to them. Muddy Water’s ‘Trouble No More’ ends side one on a high note. Side two somehow tops side one. ‘Every Hungry Woman’, ‘Dreams’ and ‘Whipping’ are staple ABB songs and all are rendered precise and tough here. ‘Dreams’ in particular is better in the studio than any live version I’ve heard.

Wow, what a debut album. The band came together in March of 1969 with the final piece fell into place when Gregg Allman was asked to join the band March 26, 1969. The album was recorded over six days in August of that year and released the album in November. Eight months from formation of the band to album release. I am amazed that they had their sound so dialed in from day one.

Last edited by surfndestroy on Thu March 04, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Allman Brothers Band - A Career Retrospective
PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 6:04 pm 
Future Drummer

Idlewild South (1970) – Somehow their self-titled album didn’t make them stars, selling about 35,000 copies initially. Duane Allman was becoming a guitarist of renown, coming off guesting on the Clapton lead ‘Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs’. Album two added to the sonic template, branching out from straight up blues by adding some country influences and acoustic guitars with some pretty memorable songs written by guitarist Dickey Betts, to those written by Gregg Allman and a Willie Dixon cover.

‘Revival’ (Betts) kicks off side one, expanding the ABB sound with a hippy-ish, country influenced, acoustic song. A had never heard the studio version before and it definitely adds elements you don’t hear from them live. ‘Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’’ is possibly the weakest song from the first two albums and it’s highly listenable with some lovely guitar work. ‘Midnight Rider’ hits it out of the park. About as perfect a single as I can imagine. Three minutes of concise audio heaven. Side one closes with ‘In Memory of Elizabeth Reed’ (Betts) and what a closer it is. The song starts off sounding as if it could be Santana and just stays in this beautiful mellow groove with some beautiful guitar and organ solos filling the second half of the song. Side two is short, clocking in at just over 13 minutes. It brings them back to their blues roots after a fairly adventurous first side. ‘Hoochie Coochie man’, a Willie Dixon cover, it ditches some of the song’s original muscle for some almost joyful swing and a great vocal from Berry Oakley (bass). 'Please Call Home’ is a beautiful blues ballad. I can’t believe I’ve never heard this song. The album closes with ‘Leave My Blues at Home’, a funky blues song by Gregg. Duane’s love of King Curtis probably shows on this song more than on any song so far. If you don’t know who King Curtis is, seriously check him out.

Album two proved they weren’t going to get pigeon-holed in their sound. The contributions by Betts are strong, Oakley showed he could add lead vocals when the song called for it. The next album ‘At The Fillmore East’ would cement what a different beast the ABB were in the studio as compared to live.

Last edited by surfndestroy on Thu March 04, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 6:58 pm 
Future Drummer

At Fillmore East (1971) – An impossibly great live album. This was my introduction to the band and I can say I love every last one of these songs. The first two sides are new blues covers; 'Statesboro Blues’, ‘Done Somebody Wrong’ and ‘Stormy Monday’ on side one and ‘You Don’t Love Me’ filling side two in jammed out glory while staying surprising jaunty. ‘Statesboro Blues’ and ‘Stormy Monday’ are just stellar, on the latter Gregg’s vocals are all world. Side three starts with a new instrumental ‘Hot’Lanta’ before moving on to an amazing performance of ‘In Memory of Elizabeth Reed’. The album closes with a twenty-two minute plus version of ‘Whipping Post’ which, while spectacular is a touch too long for.

A seminal live album which deserves all the accolades it receives, with special kudos to ‘Statesboro Blues’, ‘Stormy Monday’ and ‘In Memory of Elizabeth Reed’.

Last edited by surfndestroy on Thu March 04, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 7:13 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i'm going to check these guys out..

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 8:58 pm 
Future Drummer

Eat a Peach (1972) – The last album to feature Duane Allman who died from a motorcycle accident during the album’s recording. Part studio and part a collection of songs leftover from ‘At Fillmore East’ recordings. The studio songs continued to expand the ABB sound.

The studio songs are uniformly strong. Kicking off with ‘Ain’t Wastin’ No More', a mid-tempo blues song with some country influences. Very laid back vocal delivery by Gregg. ‘Les Brers in A Minor’ is a nice extended instrumental by Betts. 'Melissa’ is the highlight of the album for me. An acoustic guitar base number with some poignant guitar and a beautiful vocal by Gregg. The vocals and guitar seem to float above the earth at times. ‘Stand Back’ is the first song in their catalogue where it feels they fall short. It reminds me more of a Lynyrd Skynyrd song than ABB. The studio tracks close with 'Blue Sky’ (Betts) and ‘Little Martha’ (Duane Allman). ‘Blue Sky’ featuring a vocal by Betts is a nice song with some country inspired guitar leads and fills throughout. ‘Little Marta’ is a touching nod to Duane Allman. A two minute acoustic instrumental, highlighting that Duane could play much more than just slide guitar.

The songs leftover from ‘At Fillmore East’; ‘One Way Out’, ‘Trouble No More’ and a near 35 minute ‘Mountain Jam’ are up to the same stellar standard as the songs on the live album. My preference is the tighter cover songs, Elmore James’ ‘One Way Out’ and Muddy Waters’ ‘Trouble No More’ over the sprawling ‘Mountain Jam’ I can say this about ‘Mountain Jam’, for a 35 minute long song, it holds together very well.

A pretty fitting end to the Duane Allman era of ABB. While they would never be the same again, they would prove to rise from the ashes multiple times in the future. My appreciation for the band’s studio output has really risen with the reviews so far.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 8:59 pm 
Future Drummer

Brothers and Sisters (1973) – Surprisingly, this is the ABB commercial peak, selling over seven million copies and featuring the band’s only number one song ‘Rambling Man’. Bassist Berry Oakley died part way through the recording of the album. Again by motorcycle accident. Chuck Leavell joins the band on piano and is a beautiful addition to the band and their sound.

Wasted Words’ starts things off. Southern rock through and through. Guitars have both a bit of bite and a bit of sing to them. Lynyrd Skynyrd would make this sound the template of their first couple albums. ‘Rambling Man’ (Betts) is up next and what a song it is. Great vocals by Betts as well as the memorable guitar fills. ‘Come and Go Blues’ has it’s moments and highlights what a great addition Leavell is on piano. ‘Southbound’ starts out very southern rockfish before settling into an upbeats blues number with a strong vocal performance. ‘Jessica, an instrumental’ is the standout track for me, ABB to it’s bones with Betts proving to be every bit the slide guitarist as Duane but with his own, unique sound and take on it. The track closers on both sides, ‘Jelly Jelly’ and ‘Pony Boy’ are fine enough songs but both fall a little flat for me. ‘Jelly Jelly’ does feature some great piano playing by Leavell and ‘Pony Boy’ attempts to blend the delta blues with the ABB sound.

A remarkable album given the losses the band had faced.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 9:02 pm 
Future Drummer

Win, Lose or Draw (1975) – The band was falling apart but managed to pull it together for yet another solid album. The band would breakup for a for years after the tour supporting this album. This is the last studio album with Chuck Leavell on piano. I love what he brought to the band. Expanding the sound while staying true to the band’s origins. I can see why the Rolling Stones poached him.

Can’t Lose What You Never Had’ (Muddy Waters) starts things off in fine form. The highlights being Gregg’s whiskey soaked singing and Betts’ guitar solo. ‘Just Another Love Song’ is just that, just another song. Not memorable and I am not a fan of the slightly mumbled vocal delivery by Betts. ‘Nevertheless’ is a surprisingly strong number followed by ‘Win, Lose or Draw’ a piano driven ballad. Both songs show Gregg is fine form vocally. Side one closes out with ‘Louisiana Lou and Three card Monty John’ is a song I had never heard before and is pretty solid even if a little non-descript. Side two’s ‘High Falls’ is a fourteen minute instrumental that showcases Betts’ slide playing but it goes on too long for me, It does have nice fusion jazz influences in the drums and percussion. The album closes with a cover, ‘Sweet Mama’ featuring a good vocal by Betts but not that memorable overall.

While not a bad album, the losses and vices have caught up to them, Gregg Allman is saving fewer songs for the band and keeping more for his solo work to the detriment of this and future albums.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 10:06 pm 
Major Dude

Don’t Want You No More is a Spencer Davis Group cover.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 10:17 pm 
Major Dude

There is no slide in Jessica

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 10:19 pm 
Future Drummer

wease wrote:
Don’t Want You No More is a Spencer Davis Group cover.

That I knew but failed to include it.

I leaned on Wikipedia quite a bit and learned lots about the history of the band and how the band member changes impacted each subsequent record and to a lessor degree impacted them live. They have quite the history.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 10:20 pm 
Future Drummer

wease wrote:
There is no slide in Jessica

Now you're just making me feel bad but thank you for the correction. I obviously can't tell the difference and by default think all ABB songs have slide in them.

I am going to have to go do some emotional repairs after this hurt.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 11:11 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Woah. Nice work. I basically made as far as you have then lost focus after Win Lose or Draw. Every album up to that point for me in some level of incredible. The debut is really killer I agree and I really loved Idlewild South and Brothers and Sisters. It doesn’t need to be said that Fillmore East is one of the greatest live albums ever.

I love the thought you put into this. I admittedly have no background in ABB post this point, but other than that last album they were really quite outstanding to this point.

My biggest concert regret is not going to see them all those years they played at the Beacon. No excuses for me on that.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 11:17 pm 
Future Drummer

Wipe the Windows, Check the Oil, Dollar Gas (1976) – A rag tag live album with a collection of songs from 1972 to 1975, It captures the band with Chuck Leavell on piano, Lamar Williams replacing the deceased Berry Oakley on bass and with guitar solely by Dickey Betts. The single guitar makes some of the songs a little wistful. Heavy on songs from ‘Brothers and Sisters’ and the covers had all previously been released. Nice for capturing this period of the band and while not as strong as ‘At Fillmore East’, there is lots to like here. New covers would have really helped this album. I am not sure if there is anything that is required listening.

Now for the low point of their career.

Enlightened Rogues (1979), Reach For The Sky (1980), Brothers of the Road (1981) – These three albums are pretty lean times for the newly regrouped band. Not nearly as bad as originally reviewed, they were just the wrong sound for the times. Personnel changes on each album. Dan Toler is added on guitar for all three albums and I am not a fan of the honky-tonk stylings he seemingly brought to the band. Greg? Allman songs are few and far between. This period is really lead by Dickey Betts.

The highlights from ‘Enlightened Rogues’ which I just have to say is a great album name, include: ‘Crazy Love’ showing Gregg could still sing up a storm. Upbeat in the Lynyrd Skynyrd ‘Street Survivors’ kind of way. ‘Pegasus’ is another in a long line of strong instrumentals. Solidly sounds like the ABB with a few new influences and sounds. The best song from this era of the band. ’Need Your Love So Bad’ is a strong cover. The playing is strong across the album but the songs just aren’t there.

On ‘Reach For The Sky’, the ABB I love is gone. ‘I Got A Right to Be Wrong’ is a fine song but is more a country band’s song than ABB. My biases on display here for sure but it just doesn’t sound like the ABB. ‘Angeline’ is a good song and sounds like the ABB, though the honky-tonk is still strong in the song it is tamed by Gregg’s vocals. This is the first of two albums I would recommend you skip.

‘Brothers of the Road’ is the other album to skip. Except for ‘Leavin’’ there is nothing on this song to listen to. A honky-tonk mess that never should have been put out under the ABB name. Synthesizers in the ABB is just wrong. These songs belong on a Hank Williams Jr album. ‘Leavin’’, the sole good song on this album is a muscular blues song that is, not surprisingly the only song solely credited to Gregg Allman. He had one other co-write on a song better left forgotten.

After this run of three albums the band took a long break and would not re-unite until 1990.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 11:19 pm 
Future Drummer

Seven Turns (1990) – After a long break the ABB are back. Dan Toler is out on guitar and Warren Haynes is brought in. This is a great latter-day version of the band. Betts is back to writing songs much better suited to the ABB while still retaining country influences. The album is uniformly strong and quite the comeback for them.

Kicking off with ‘Good Clean Fun’ and it feels like “they’re back”. It has a great guitar riff and Gregg sounds great. He’s lost some range but made up for it in grit. ‘Let Me Ride’ is the only low point on the album, too country for me. ‘Low Down Dirty Mean’ put the country influences on much better display. A nice honky-tonk guitar intro before Gregg’s vocals come in and center the song back in the blues in the same way Ronnie Van Zandt could do on songs. ‘Shine It On’ and the ABB groove, updated as it is just keeps on. ‘Loaded Dice’ is pretty strong on the country but much better executed than ‘Let Me Ride’. Warren Hayne’s vocals really help make this happen versus Betts on ‘Let Me Ride’. ‘Seven Turns’ comes up next. What a great song. Everything is perfect here. The standout on the album. ‘Gambler’s Roll’ has them firmly back in the blues, with some nice searing guitars and world-weary vocals. ‘True Gravity’ is nothing special but it sounds like ABB doing nothing special. Has a nice live feel to it. The album closes with ‘It Ain’t Over Yet’, a very fitting album closer and proves prophetic.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 11:22 pm 
Future Drummer

Shades of Two Worlds (1991) – Another really solid latter-day album. My guess is a stable lineup and lots of touring helped.

End of the Line’ starts things off on a high note. Everything is clicking. The groove, the guitar, the vocals. ‘Bad Rain’ is okay. In general, I am not a big a fan of songs not sung by Gregg and this one falls into that category. Not bad but they can do better. ‘Nobody Knows’ is the closest they come to sounding like old school ABB. Just something about the guitar tones. Big fan of this rambling song. ‘Desert Blues’ is another fine song but it is missing something. ’Get on with Your Life’ is a beautiful blues number. Like ‘Seven Turns’ on the previous album, everything is perfect here. ‘Midnight Man’ like ‘Bad Rain’ is just okay. ‘Kind of Bird’, a jazz influenced number captures what a great version of the band this one is. Nimble, muscular, soulful, it’s all there in this eight minute instrumental. You should definitely take a listen to this song. The album closes on another high note with a cover of Robert Johnson’s ‘Come on in My Kitchen’. A gorgeous take on the song with a gospel feel to the vocal arrangement.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 11:48 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I will have to go back and start with 1990 I think. Sounds like there’s some promise there.

PostPosted: Thu March 04, 2021 11:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

The highlight of enlightened rogues is just aint easy.. which is one of my fav AB songs

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:12 am 
Future Drummer

i got bugs wrote:
The highlight of enlightened rogues is just aint easy.. which is one of my fav AB songs

I thought it would be based on the reading I did and my preference for d=songs written by Gregg Allman but it just didn't do it for me.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:14 am 
Major Dude

liebzz wrote:
Woah. Nice work. I basically made as far as you have then lost focus after Win Lose or Draw. Every album up to that point for me in some level of incredible. The debut is really killer I agree and I really loved Idlewild South and Brothers and Sisters. It doesn’t need to be said that Fillmore East is one of the greatest live albums ever.

I love the thought you put into this. I admittedly have no background in ABB post this point, but other than that last album they were really quite outstanding to this point.

My biggest concert regret is not going to see them all those years they played at the Beacon. No excuses for me on that.

I finally got to go in 2013 and 2014.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:17 am 
Major Dude

liebzz wrote:
I will have to go back and start with 1990 I think. Sounds like there’s some promise there.

They find their way back when Warren joins.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands