The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Allman Brothers Band - A Career Retrospective
PostPosted: Thu August 04, 2022 11:46 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Live at the Atlanta Pop Festival - Part II: 7/5/70

The first show seemed revelatory of a touring machine, but it’s possible this set is even better. Certainly the bar has been raised for Whipping Post here. Mountain Jam is quite long but the time flies on their exceptional band chemistry. Statesboro Blues and Elizabeth Reed are beasts as they always are. This is the first Stormy Monday for me here and it is off the charts great. This band is pretty crazy.

PostPosted: Thu August 04, 2022 1:30 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Idlewild South

The second studio album (seems like it’s been a while) and the Allman Brothers are further refining their sound. Granted, these versions can’t compare to the live versions given the pure energy you can feel in the speakers/headphones from these guys all playing together, but as studio recordings go, there’s more than plenty to love. Revival, Midnight Rider, and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed are the put classics on here, and the studio versions of each are essential in their own way. Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’ is one I am really glad to get a studio version of - it’s almost as if I needed it to make sense or context behind the strong live versions I have heard to this point. Hoochie Coochie Man is as close to the live energy you are probably going to get in the studio, and this mfer is blistering. Leave My Blues At Home closes us out nicely in what feels like the straight standard for their sound. I may rate this slightly above the debut, or not, it’s so close. Both really great albums.

PostPosted: Thu August 04, 2022 8:35 pm 
Major Dude

Now listen to the Layla album. That was next for Duane.

PostPosted: Thu August 04, 2022 9:05 pm 
Major Dude

Did you notice the similarities in the arrangements of Outskirts of Town and Stormy Monday?

I may be wrong but I’m 99% sure I read that the Allmans were the first and last acts to perform at the APF. And due to storms Sunday night causing a delay, they didn’t finish that last set til 6-7 Monday morning.

PostPosted: Thu August 04, 2022 9:37 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I didn’t really read into those shows too much. There was a rain delay built in and then another maybe 7 mins of Mountain Jam that I think was cut off.

I may do Layla in part because the sets are running together a bit since the set lists are so similar. But one more first…

PostPosted: Thu August 04, 2022 9:40 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

American University, Washington, DC 12/13/70

The quality of this recording is not quite the same as the ones that came before, but for bootleg trained ears you can hear everything and it’s good enough to enjoy. And worth it! There are some seriously epic performances here - particularly in the second half of the show. Stormy Monday was just getting serious when it got cut off, but then You Don’t Love Me just scorches and then they finish off with a further extended Whipping Post. Every time I think I’m hitting the apex they keep raising the bar.

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 1:13 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

wease wrote:

Haven’t gotten to this yet, but my entire life I always thought this was some last gasp of genius from Clapton, and come to find out Duane Allman carried his ass through this record? Is my whole life a lie?

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 1:40 am 
Major Dude

liebzz wrote:
wease wrote:

Haven’t gotten to this yet, but my entire life I always thought this was some last gasp of genius from Clapton, and come to find out Duane Allman carried his ass through this record? Is my whole life a lie?

He also added that main intro riff to the title track. Just imagine that song without that riff. And he didn’t even get any writing credit on it.

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 1:45 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

wease wrote:
liebzz wrote:
wease wrote:

He also added that main intro riff to the title track. Just imagine that song without that riff. And he didn’t even get any writing credit on it.

So Duane writes the main riff, the keyboardist is credited with the coda…so Clapton wrote the lyrics about his best friends wife. That’s his contribution?

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 3:06 am 
Major Dude

liebzz wrote:
wease wrote:
liebzz wrote:
wease wrote:

So Duane writes the main riff, the keyboardist is credited with the coda…so Clapton wrote the lyrics about his best friends wife. That’s his contribution?

He had the chord progressions in the verses and chorus it Duane tied them together with the riff. Jim Gordon, the DRUMMER wrote the coda music.

Last edited by wease on Sat August 06, 2022 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 2:03 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Derek and the Dominoes - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

At wease’s suggestion, I went back to this album for the first time in at least 20 years. Conceptually, it was always really Eric Clapton’s chronology, and I never seriously considered anyone else in the band. Fast forward to now, and this deep dive, starting with the first short era of the Duane Allman years in the Allman Brothers Band, and the context of the album changes.

On the Clapton side of things, I have long swung back and forth between considering him one of the greats and alternately dismissing him as a hack. I think the reality is somewhere in the middle: an exceptional guitarist who is best suited with a strong backing band sticking to blues and blues focused rock and a lackluster songwriter. The John Mayer of the 1970s.

This brings us to Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. This album really comes with a boatload of hype, some of it justified, and some not. The cover of Key to the Highway is phenomenal. The re-worked cover of Little Wing has many moments of brilliance - especially not lost on me is playing through the end jam. I think most of that is Duane and it’s really great. I’d venture to say Jimi Hendrix’s poorest recording decision ever was to fade out just as the solo kicks in on that song - criminal. Other Duane focused highlights include Anyday, Nobody Knows You When You Are Down and Out, Why Does Love Got to Be So Sad, Have You Ever Loved A Woman, and I Am Yours. Without Duane, I can’t deny I have always loved Bell Bottom Blues.

And then there’s Layla, which hearing for the first time in this context, Duane Allman with the main opening riff, the slide, and Jim Gordon’s coda - Clapton really feels a lot like he’s along for the ride on his most famous tune.

Sure the album is a bit bloated in spots, and weight of the hype brings this album unnecessary baggage, but it’s definitely one of the diamonds in Clapton’s post-Cream career.

PostPosted: Fri August 05, 2022 2:46 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Fillmore West ‘71 - Part I: 1/29/71

The quality of this recording sort of dives a few songs in, but once again it is worth it. Jumping into ‘71, you can feel the momentum from the end of 1970 where they’re really in an incredible groove. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, here, is beyond. Similar with You Don’t Love Me, which is maybe my favorite live song of theirs, and is growing into what will become that unstoppable version on At the Fillmore East. I will say I prefer the straight stop on Whipping Post in mid-70 over the late 70/early 71 version that hangs on to the song a bit too much, but it’s still basically a masterclass of live performance.

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 12:09 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Fillmore West ‘71 - Part II: 1/30/71

Just focusing on what sets this show off from the others - Stormy Monday is really something here though introduced as a song they rarely play (fibbing). You Don’t Love Me is still getting more awesome by the show. Whipping Post is much shorter, but they kept the long and winding outtro, perhaps because it was the final song. I have yet to hear a single song that’s not a phenomenal version in every show, save for maybe Midnight Rider which is only very good because it is pedestrian in comparison to the other songs. They are basically unstoppable.

PostPosted: Sat August 06, 2022 5:51 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Fillmore West ‘71 - Part III: 1/31/71

This final show from the run is instantly the best of the three. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed defies the senses. Hoochie Coochie Man, Dreams, and You Don’t Love Me are the best yet. And figure this: Whipping Post and Mountain Jam close this out over the course of 65 minutes. Damn. What a show.

PostPosted: Sun August 07, 2022 12:10 am 
Major Dude

Say goodbye to Dreams. That’s around the point it goes away IIRC. Hoochie Coochie Man, as well.

PostPosted: Sun August 07, 2022 12:45 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

It was good while it lasted. And Dreams was really good at the last show.

PostPosted: Sun August 07, 2022 1:31 am 
Major Dude

It seems like there’s a surprise Dreams towards the fall somewhere but it’s like the only one. By that time they’d begun work on Eat A Peach.

PostPosted: Mon August 08, 2022 11:53 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

At Fillmore East

I’ll dive into the shows next that comprise this compilation live album, but figured I’d start with the live album first since it holds such an important place in the Allman Brothers story. It’s hard to think of the band who at this point had released two albums with songs like Midnight Rider, Dreams, Whipping Post, etc. as a band failing to gain traction in their first two albums, but apparently such was the case in 1971. Culling top performances from their run at the Fillmore East in March 1971 (I had just read somewhere, possibly not reputable, that they listened back to the shows afterwards to see which songs they needed stronger takes on for the live album), this is, if not the, one of the seminal live albums of all time.

This runs similar in concept to their shows of the day, quickly powering through Statesboro Blues, hit up a couple of classic blues songs, tear the crap out of You Don’t Love Me, a nice Hot’lanta, yet again raise the bar on In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, and close out with an epic Whipping Post. What’s fascinating is perhaps they took the best takes from the 4 shows in 2 days, but it’s just about in line with the quality of their performances in this time. A band that was remarkably consistent, and consistently mind blowing. Really the apex of their all too brief era with Duane Allman.

PostPosted: Mon August 08, 2022 5:29 pm 
Major Dude

Wait until you realize what they did with You Don’t Love Me.

PostPosted: Mon August 08, 2022 6:31 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

wease wrote:
Wait until you realize what they did with You Don’t Love Me.

Did they splice it from multiple shows?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands