The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Allman Brothers Band - A Career Retrospective
PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:17 am 
Future Drummer

Where It All Began (1994) – The last studio album with Betts or Allen Woody on bass. With Betts quitting before the next studio but after doing lots of touring with the band in the nine years between albums. Woody died from a heroin overdose in 2000.

‘All Night Trains’ pulls the album out of the station at steady chug. ‘Sailin’ Across the Devil’s Sea’ features some great guitar work and is solid southern rock. ‘Back Where It All Begins’ is nine minutes of greatness. A Betts song that floats in the same way ‘Blue Sky’ does. That bit of greatness is followed by two more, flat out great songs. ‘Soulshine’, a new song to me and I cannot begin to say how good this song is. I love the slide guitars over the organ and Gregg sings so well here. ‘No One to Run With’, ABB with a Bo Diddley beat. This is one of my blast when happy songs. ‘Change My Way of Living’ is good but too much a vehicle for some slide work and not enough song. ‘Mean Woman Blues’ sounds like it could be on the first album. Rocking blues, tight and concise. ‘Everybody’s got a Mountain to Climb’ is a slow country blues song. Lead vocals by Betts is never a favorite of mine. ‘What’s Done Is Done’ is another song that sounds like it could be on the debut album. A damn fine song. The album closes with ‘Temptation Is a Gun’, a solid blues number that is surprisingly co-written by a couple members of Journey.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:18 am 
Major Dude

i got bugs wrote:
The highlight of enlightened rogues is just aint easy.. which is one of my fav AB songs

The only highlight in an abysmal run of albums.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:19 am 
Future Drummer

An Evening with The Allman Brothers Band: First Set (1992) and Second Set (1995) – These two albums beautifully capture what this Betts/Haynes guitar version of the band was all about in concert. Two stellar live albums. Impeccable playing and singing on every song.

‘First Set’ highlights are every song really but ‘Blue Sky’, ‘Melissa’ and ‘Dreams’ are especially. That Gregg Allman can sound so good on vocals after the life he lived is just a miracle. He is amazing. I saw them on this tour and they were this good every night.

‘Second Set’ is just as good as its predecessor. ‘Soulshine’ is a must listen. ‘Back Where It All Begins’ and ‘Jessica’ shows they are every bit the jam band in 1994 as they were at the beginning and just as good.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:20 am 
Future Drummer

wease wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
The highlight of enlightened rogues is just aint easy.. which is one of my fav AB songs

I think Crazy Love, Pegasus, Angeline and Leavin' are all worth checking out from that era. But it is a sad time in the band's history.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:21 am 
Major Dude

surfndestroy wrote:
Shades of Two Worlds (1991) – Another really solid latter-day album. My guess is a stable lineup and lots of touring helped.

End of the Line’ starts things off on a high note. Everything is clicking. The groove, the guitar, the vocals. ‘Bad Rain’ is okay. In general, I am not a big a fan of songs not sung by Gregg and this one falls into that category. Not bad but they can do better. ‘Nobody Knows’ is the closest they come to sounding like old school ABB. Just something about the guitar tones. Big fan of this rambling song. ‘Desert Blues’ is another fine song but it is missing something. ’Get on with Your Life’ is a beautiful blues number. Like ‘Seven Turns’ on the previous album, everything is perfect here. ‘Midnight Man’ like ‘Bad Rain’ is just okay. ‘Kind of Bird’, a jazz influenced number captures what a great version of the band this one is. Nimble, muscular, soulful, it’s all there in this eight minute instrumental. You should definitely take a listen to this song. The album closes on another high note with a cover of Robert Johnson’s ‘Come on in My Kitchen’. A gorgeous take on the song with a gospel feel to the vocal arrangement.

Gregg hated Nobody Knows. He felt it was a ripoff of Whipping Post. Which it is. The label told them they needed another song like Whipping Post, like a really identifiable ABB song and Dickey took it literal and ripped off WP.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:22 am 
Major Dude

surfndestroy wrote:
wease wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

I think Crazy Love, Pegasus, Angeline and Leavin' are all worth checking out from that era. But it is a sad time in the band's history.

All garbage.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:23 am 
Future Drummer

Hittin’ The Note (2003) – The final studio album. The exit of Dickey Betts from the band finds the guitars being handled by Trucks and Haynes. Trucks was first introduced on the live album ‘Peakin’ at the Beacon’ and Haynes is back replacing Betts.

‘Firing Line’ starts things off, a nice straight forward rocker that firmly introduces both guitarists to world. “The High Cost of Low Living’ is a beautiful southern blues tune that quotes from ‘Blue Sky’, ‘Dreams’ and ‘Mountain Jam’. “Desdemona’ is a slow strutting blues number that plays out at nine minutes with a purposeful nod to ‘In Memory of Elizabeth Reed’. The next two songs, ‘Woman Across the River’ and ‘Old Before My Time’ are slow blues songs. The latter acoustic based with a heartfelt vocal from Gregg. Two more blues songs follow, ‘Who to Believe and ‘Maydell’, nice but easily forgotten. ‘Rockin Horse’ is a rocking number but like the last two songs, easily forgotten. They then turn the Stones’ ‘Heart of Stone’ into a weeping blues that I am sure Mick and Keef would applaud. The penultimate song on the album and to their studio career is a twelve minute ‘Instrumental Illness, nominated for two Grammy Awards in 2003 and 2004. Everyone in the band is given room to shine and really highlights how strong the version of this band was musically. The album closes with ‘Old Friend’, an acoustic number featuring only Haynes and Truck. It is the only ABB track to not include an original band member. A fitting ode to the fact that the band’s music will live on long after all the original members have passed.

A strong album that runs a touch too long at seventy-five minutes. Lose a few of the middle songs and a seven song, fifty-five minute album would make a better listen.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:24 am 
Future Drummer

wease wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
wease wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

All garbage.

I will need to go emotionally repair again after that outburst.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:26 am 
Future Drummer

One Way Out (2004) – A fitting conclusion to their career. A live album from the ‘Hittin’ The Note’ tour featuring Trucks and Haynes on guitar. A beautiful collection of songs from across their career. As always, Gregg Allman is in fine form on vocals and the duo of Haynes and Trucks shine through all over the place. Derek trucks is one of my favorite guitarists and I just find every note he plays is just filled with soul. Thirty-five years between this album and ‘At Fillmore East’ and they are still just as good.

You should really check out the few live tracks on the ‘Trouble No More: 50th Anniversary Collection’. ‘Little Martha’ from 2005 is a nice nod to Duane. Then ‘Black Hearted Woman’ from March 26, 2014, 45 years to the day of the first time they played as a band. The final song on the collection is ‘Trouble No More’, of note as it is the very first song the band played together and the final song they played as a band on October 28, 2014.

I learned the ABB were a better band and songwriters than I ever gave them credit, especially the first four studio albums. Their late career resurrection starting with ‘Seven Turns’ is really impressive and everyone of those albums is worth checking out. The latter day bands could compete with the original line-up, and I am especially fond of the ‘One Way Out’ album featuring Betts and Trucks on guitar.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:27 am 
Major Dude

I wish the Betts/Pearson era would have recorded something. Even a live album. That’s one period that doesn’t get the attention it should. Jack Pearson is one the absolute best guitar players in the world. (And nicest guys, too). He deserves to be known like Warren or Derek.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:29 am 
Future Drummer

wease wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
Shades of Two Worlds (1991) – Another really solid latter-day album. My guess is a stable lineup and lots of touring helped.

End of the Line’ starts things off on a high note. Everything is clicking. The groove, the guitar, the vocals. ‘Bad Rain’ is okay. In general, I am not a big a fan of songs not sung by Gregg and this one falls into that category. Not bad but they can do better. ‘Nobody Knows’ is the closest they come to sounding like old school ABB. Just something about the guitar tones. Big fan of this rambling song. ‘Desert Blues’ is another fine song but it is missing something. ’Get on with Your Life’ is a beautiful blues number. Like ‘Seven Turns’ on the previous album, everything is perfect here. ‘Midnight Man’ like ‘Bad Rain’ is just okay. ‘Kind of Bird’, a jazz influenced number captures what a great version of the band this one is. Nimble, muscular, soulful, it’s all there in this eight minute instrumental. You should definitely take a listen to this song. The album closes on another high note with a cover of Robert Johnson’s ‘Come on in My Kitchen’. A gorgeous take on the song with a gospel feel to the vocal arrangement.

Gregg hated Nobody Knows. He felt it was a ripoff of Whipping Post. Which it is. The label told them they needed another song like Whipping Post, like a really identifiable ABB song and Dickey took it literal and ripped off WP.
Well I like it. I wasn't sure whether or not to highlight Nobody Knows or the Come On In My Kitchen. I think both are worthy of listens.

Last edited by surfndestroy on Fri March 05, 2021 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:31 am 
Major Dude

If you have the chance, grab the last run of Beacon shows including the last Allman Brothers Band show from 2014 and the 50th Anniversary The Brothers show from early 2020 MSG. Those last two shows are magical.

Also, check out the two shows Clapton played with them during the Beacon Run in 2009. Clapton slays on Dreams and Liz Reed.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 12:32 am 
Major Dude

surfndestroy wrote:
wease wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:

Well I like it. I wasn't sure whether of not to highlight Nobody Knows or the Come On In My Kitchen. I think both are worthy of listens.

Oh, I like it too.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 3:00 am 
Major Dude

Also, the 1971 Fillmore East Recordings is an expanded set from which At Fillmore East was put together. It features all the shows recorded for the album and the last show to ever take place at the venue in June of that same year. HIGHLY recommended.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 3:12 pm 
Future Drummer

I first saw these guys in '92, the tour following what became the Evening With: First Set. The middle acoustic set is still one of my favorite live memories:

Seven Turns
Midhnight Rider
Midnight Blues
Melissa
Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad

Also their finally attending Mountain Jam, a fest named after their own song, and bookending the main set with that tune was pretty awesome. Ended up getting Derek's slide which a friend of mine still uses to this day.

PostPosted: Sun July 31, 2022 8:05 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Forthcoming - love that this has already been done but I would like to take this in phases…

PostPosted: Mon August 01, 2022 1:02 am 
Major Dude

Looking forward to your comments.

PostPosted: Mon August 01, 2022 9:24 am 
Rank This Poster

surfndestroy wrote:
wease wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
wease wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

All garbage.

I will need to go emotionally repair again after that outburst.

I wanna say that just ain't easy is an older song they put in a later album because I was watching an old show on yt n it was it was in the setlist

PostPosted: Mon August 01, 2022 12:04 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Allman Brothers Band

There’s really no other band that quite personifies the term southern rock like the Allman Brothers Band. What is now a thread in rock music that has a rich history and tradition steeped in blues but with a rock and roll groove is in its infancy on this debut album. If nothing else, the album feels like a band restrained just itching to explode. The guitars show glimpses of what’s to come on those very same songs in a live setting. And yet even with that restraint, you still get a great album, basically an all timer, because the songs are really strong, the grooves stellar, and the guitars are well the guitars of the Allman Brothers Band. Songs get pushed but never over the edge here.

Each of the songs here basically belongs on your Allman Brothers playlist - the table setting Don’t Want You No More through the epic jam of jams Whipping Post. This music was truly made for swampy hot as hell days, with thick air being cut by Duane Allman’s guitars. Damn I miss this music - haven’t been here for a while.

PostPosted: Mon August 01, 2022 3:17 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Bear’s Sonic Journals: Live at Fillmore East February 1970 -Part I: The Compilation

I’ve been working on doing this proper and going through the live material on Spotify through the chronology. Taken from 3 shows, parts of which I will cover next, the compilation serves as disc one and the best of this run on 2/11, 2/13, and 2/14 at the Fillmore East. This starts and ends with 2 massive jams: In Memory of Elizabeth Reed to start, and a 30 minute spliced Mountain Jam to end it. In between, a series of concise-ish performances (under 8 minute Whipping Post that’s just as thrilling as the extended version of At Fillmore East coming down the road apiece). Trouble No More really slays, as does Statesboro Blues (this might also top the standard bearing version). Having spent a fair amount of time in the pandemic listening to the Grateful Dead jam (see that thread for a long long journey), it’s almost jarring the extent to which the Allman Brothers stay in attack mode with only brief respites. Where the Dead circle back, the Allman Brothers push forward until exhaustion. That’s not to choose one over the other, but a reflection on diving into the live stuff here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands