The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Allman Brothers Band - A Career Retrospective
PostPosted: Wed August 17, 2022 2:54 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The Final Note (Owing Mills, MD 10/17/71)

What this release amounts to is more a historical document than a usable recording. This isn’t one you’ll throw in and jam to, mostly because it’s about as rough a recording as it gets, apparently sources from a handheld device with an internal mic. It’s missing huge chunks of the show, fades out just a Elizabeth Reed is really cooking, and contains Hot ‘Lanta and Whipping Post in the same poor quality, but somehow neither of those songs are on the setlists I researched for this show. Perhaps the archivists are just mistaken, but it makes this release a profound mess - even if the performance itself, once you use your imagination to fill the blanks from the rough recording, are on par with the exceptional performances in this time period.

It’s still important as a historical document of the last time one of the greatest guitar players played in front of a live audience. As one who knows that there’ll be great albums to come, I have never really listened to a non-Duane live album, so I share with the fans of that time a little nervousness about their decision to push forward, almost immediately, after losing Duane Allman. I’ll be taking in the next set of shows and albums from that perspective, and so I anticipate the next phase of this journey to be fun, exciting, and fascinating. I know there’s lot of twists and turns to come, but wanted to make note of this feeling right here at our first bend in the long road ahead.

PostPosted: Wed August 17, 2022 6:22 pm 
Future Drummer

Put your faith in Dickey....it'll be all right!

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Wed August 17, 2022 8:36 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
Put your faith in Dickey....it'll be all right!

Yeah, I mean I guess there wouldn’t be basically another 49 years of shows (if you count Brothers) without there being something to it.

PostPosted: Wed August 17, 2022 10:18 pm 
Major Dude

liebzz wrote:
SUNY at Stonybrook 9/19/71

This is both the roughest and longest recording available so far. Clocking in at an hour and 46 mins - there’s some interest stuff here. The first glimpses of new material arrives with a nice long rendition of Blue Sky. Dreams is a 20 minute monster. Stormy Monday is absolutely killer here. As is In Memory of Elizabeth Reed to close. An excellent show as we slowly make our way into the final month of Duane Allman’s live performance career.

I love the Blue Sky from this so much.

PostPosted: Wed August 17, 2022 10:44 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

wease wrote:
liebzz wrote:

This is both the roughest and longest recording available so far. Clocking in at an hour and 46 mins - there’s some interest stuff here. The first glimpses of new material arrives with a nice long rendition of Blue Sky. Dreams is a 20 minute monster. Stormy Monday is absolutely killer here. As is In Memory of Elizabeth Reed to close. An excellent show as we slowly make our way into the final month of Duane Allman’s live performance career.

Couldn’t agree more. I am not so well versed, at least to this point, in their live material. I expected Blue Sky to be more like a Midnight Rider from that era, meaning played mostly straight, but they really did a fabulous job playing around with that.

PostPosted: Wed August 17, 2022 11:44 pm 
Major Dude

liebzz wrote:
wease wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Couldn’t agree more. I am not so well versed, at least to this point, in their live material. I expected Blue Sky to be more like a Midnight Rider from that era, meaning played mostly straight, but they really did a fabulous job playing around with that.

And as far as I know, it’s the only live performance out there with Duane playing on it. So damn good.

PostPosted: Thu August 18, 2022 11:35 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Macon City Auditorium, Macon, GA 2/11/72

While the Allman Brothers Band continued on nearly immediate after the death of Duane Allman, it’s this show and Eat a Peach that sort of close the book on that era. Dedicated at the outset to Duane, this show is the reassurance that it’s gonna be alright. Dickey Betts makes sure, after a Statesboro Blues where you can really feel Duane’s absence, that he’s every bit up to filling his and Duane’s leads, with Gregg filling in a lot of the rhythm on keys. In this show, once they loosen up and jam a bit, you can hardly tell the difference except as I just noted in the rhythm. It may not be quite the same but they went from being one of the greatest live bands ever to one of the greatest live bands ever. Les Brers in A Minor here is pretty damn smokin’.

PostPosted: Thu August 18, 2022 3:57 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Eat A Peach

It’s been a good long time it seems since I last visited at least a partial studio album, and as things progress the balance of the journey will be more focused on mixing in fewer shows with the studio albums but I will still be listening through both. This really does serve as the moment of closure, not just for Duane Allman but ultimately unintentionally for Berry Oakley as well, who met a similar date just a year after Duane’s passing. In particular, Berry Oakley’s contribution to Mountain Jam at its midway point is an all time bass guitar jam that deserves its own legendary status.

The first three songs are studio post-Duane, and all three are pretty epic - classics Ain’t Wasting Time No More, and Melissa, and the phenomenal instrumental jam Brer in A Minor. The middle section is a 33 minute Mountain Jam, One Way Out, and Trouble No More - all from the Fillmore East - in what feels like either a sequel or at the least taking care of unfinished business. The end three more studio tracks that include Duane’s contributions to Stand Back, Blue Sky, and the quick end note of Little Martha.

Whether it’s boldness or a sense of dissatisfaction with recording in a studio, splitting this three ways works as almost transitional from classic Allmans to the next set of adventures, which we know will both great in places coupled with massive collapses and tragedy.

PostPosted: Thu August 18, 2022 4:50 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

The studio version of Blue Sky is one of my favorite things, of any artist.

PostPosted: Thu August 18, 2022 5:19 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Captain Termite wrote:

The version of this from the Stonybrook show I covered is really phenomenal.

PostPosted: Thu August 18, 2022 5:39 pm 
Future Drummer

Oh wow, the second disc from Macon City rules. Never listened to this one before.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Thu August 18, 2022 5:57 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
Oh wow, the second disc from Macon City rules. Never listened to this one before.

The second half of that show you’d barely know Duane wasn’t there.

PostPosted: Thu August 18, 2022 6:08 pm 
Major Dude

Les Brers was from a riff Dickey played in the middle of the version of Whipping Post on the original Fillmore East album. The bass line Berry added is one of the best bass licks ever. How do you not move to that groove.

Little Martha- the only writing credit Duane ever had with the Brothers. It may be his only one ever, but I’d have to look that up.

Blue Sky- just so, SO good. Probably my favorite major key tune in rock and roll music.

Ain’t Wasting Time- an excellent “farewell” to Duane

Melissa- Duane’s favorite Gregg written tune

PostPosted: Thu August 18, 2022 7:08 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah, gonna see Eat A Peach played in full by the Trouble No More band in November. Looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Thu August 18, 2022 7:14 pm 
Major Dude

That’ll be nice

PostPosted: Thu August 18, 2022 11:44 pm 
Future Drummer

wease wrote:
Melissa- Duane’s favorite Gregg written tune

Gregg's had some great vocals put to tape over the years but the studio take sits alone on the top shelf for me, there's grief, restraint and the joy of playing all present. The album track itself is just spot on, the fade out resurrected at gigs for decades thereafter.

PostPosted: Fri August 19, 2022 8:13 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

liebzz wrote:
Captain Termite wrote:

The version of this from the Stonybrook show I covered is really phenomenal.
Fucking awesome

PostPosted: Sat August 20, 2022 2:19 am 
Major Dude

I listened to the first of show shows that Clapton sat in with them during the ‘09 Beacon Run. I know a lot of you don’t like Clapton very much, but he really played at an elevated level for those two shows.

The ‘09 Run was a 40th Anniversary run that not only had friends and contemporaries sit in but they tried to get everyone that Duane ever worked/recorded with that was still alive at the time and I think they got everyone except for Aretha. I’m going to make my way thru the whole run, but it had been a while since I listened to any of them and I wanted to start with the Clapton shows.

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2022 9:51 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY 5/1/73

So even at this point it may be advantageous to make sure we’re straight on who’s in, and who’s out:

Out: Duane Allman (guitar), Berry Oakley (bass)
In: Lamar Williams (bass), Chuck Leavell (piano)

This show, in the first half, really seems to focus on new songs to come out in a couple of weeks. Wasted Words, Jessica, In & Out Blues, and Ramblin’ Man make their first appearances in this journey, and all sound more than solid. Really the first part of this still feels less like the focus, almost a warm up for the big finish in the 20 mins of You Don’t Love Me > Les Brer in A Minor, 20 mins of Whipping Post, and 30 min Mountain Jam.:.all pretty great. I liked the transition in You Don’t Love Me > Les Brer in A Minor since it gives a focus to the jam than being minutes of only slide - especially with this revamped Allmans.

PostPosted: Mon August 22, 2022 10:24 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Brothers and Sisters

Given the tumult from 71-73 - being at your absolute high, losing your bandleader, then losing your bass player, and carrying nonetheless with a bevy of drugs, alcohol and women, basically this band has no business putting an album so effortlessly exceptional as this. 4 absolute classics in Wasted Words, Ramblin’ Man, Southbound, and Jessica. A killer bluesy Jelly Jelly, Come and Go Blues which I like but for some reason keep expecting Joe Cocker to come sauntering in. What’s great here is you get a real live feelin the studio, with extended pieces and no fear of run times. The band sounds loose and together despite the big lineup changes (and the turbulence right around the corner). A single spark captured here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands