The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2021
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:01 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

daft twat wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
Royal Blood was disappointing.

Manchester Orchestra was pretty strong.

Disagree. I’m loving this Royal Blood album. I only liked maybe 3 songs off their debut and never even finished their follow-up. Typhoons is likely my Aussie winter 2021 album. Love it more with each spin.

Agreed. I enjoyed this quite a bit.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Sharon van Etten & Angel Olsen dropping a song together is everything I need right now. :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:05 pm 
Posting (live)

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:59 pm 
AnalLog

LetMeSleep wrote:

Hell yeah buddy

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:50 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LetMeSleep wrote:

What's this?

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:15 am 
AnalLog

epilogue wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

What's this?

Lord Huron, "Long Lost"

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:17 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

ghost wrote:
epilogue wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

What's this?

Lord Huron, "Long Lost"

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:36 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Actually listened to about half of it driving around today. Pretty good. Sounds to me like what Western Stars would have sounded like if My Morning Jacket recorded it.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:59 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Hip Hop List:

The Alchemist - This Thing Of Ours EP
Mach-Hommy - Pray For Haiti
J. Cole - The Off-Season
Armand Hammer & The Alchemist - Haram
MAVI - End Of The Earth
CZARFACE & MF DOOM - Super What?!
slowthai - TYRON
Hus Kingpin & Big Ghost Ltd. - Cocaine Beach

:nice:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:45 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

liebzz wrote:
Actually listened to about half of it driving around today. Pretty good. Sounds to me like what Western Stars would have sounded like if My Morning Jacket recorded it.

I might have to take this back on further review. Listened to the end of the album, and perhaps I’d be more into it in smaller doses, the dragging tempo just just do it for me after a while. The second half of the album in particular just sounded like one long droning song with reverb soaked vocals. Perhaps their other albums have a bit more variety in them but I kind of just got tired of it after a bit.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:48 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Teeeeeekay wrote:
J. Cole - The Off-Season
CZARFACE & MF DOOM - Super What?!

I need to hear these.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:54 am 

The Off-Season is pretty great. Cole settling in as one of the best out there.

I’m a huge DOOM fan so I automatically included this one, even though a little underwhelming.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:59 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Does anything from your list stand in terms of beats/production? That's what I'm most interested in.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:00 am 
Production Police

Ello Sailor wrote:
Does anything from your list stand in terms of beats/production? That's what I'm most interested in.

Same dawg. Tried to get into the J Cole but the first few beats did nothing for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:23 am 

Ello Sailor wrote:

I love the Alchemist stuff. This EP sounds great, and he always has nasty beats and samples. And the features on this just kill. Earl Sweatshirt, Boldy James, Pink Siifu, Navy Blue....

Pray For Haiti might be my favorite production wise. Mach-Hommy is shooting up my list. This album was curated by Westside Gunn so its a Griselda Records LP, multiple producers on this one. Most of my favorites being the ones produced by Camouflage Monk. Disappointed there’s no verse from Your Old Droog.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:00 pm 
AnalLog

liebzz wrote:
liebzz wrote:

I might have to take this back on further review. Listened to the end of the album, and perhaps I’d be more into it in smaller doses, the dragging tempo just just do it for me after a while. The second half of the album in particular just sounded like one long droning song with reverb soaked vocals. Perhaps their other albums have a bit more variety in them but I kind of just got tired of it after a bit.

Yeah they leaned hard into the "lost country classic" concept with this one. Maybe too hard. The LP artwork and liner notes reference a bunch of fictional artists and albums. There's a note on the back that says it's meant to be heard in sequence and uninterrupted. If you want a real deep dive you can go to the LH subreddit and read theories on how this album fits into their "lore." I think they're making a movie based on album #3 (Vide Noir) and this is related to it somehow? It can be a bit much.

I like it so far, but the concept weighs it down a bit. It was easier to enjoy the first 3 albums without knowing anything about the stories behind them.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:10 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

liebzz wrote:

Yeah I'm gonna need to check this out.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Snooze Fest 2021

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:16 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

ghost wrote:
liebzz wrote:
liebzz wrote:

Yeah they leaned hard into the "lost country classic" concept with this one. Maybe too hard. The LP artwork and liner notes reference a bunch of fictional artists and albums. There's a note on the back that says it's meant to be heard in sequence and uninterrupted. If you want a real deep dive you can go to the LH subreddit and read theories on how this album fits into their "lore." I think they're making a movie based on album #3 (Vide Noir) and this is related to it somehow? It can be a bit much.

I like it so far, but the concept weighs it down a bit. It was easier to enjoy the first 3 albums without knowing anything about the stories behind them.

I know nothing about this band and now I'm kinda freaking out. What's all this???!

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:26 pm 
AnalLog

epilogue wrote:
ghost wrote:
liebzz wrote:
liebzz wrote:

I know nothing about this band and now I'm kinda freaking out. What's all this???!

Here's a pretty good summary of the first two albums:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2139360/lord-hu ... interview/

They're a great band that everyone should check out!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands