The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indie Girl Voice
PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 2:57 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tree_ wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
I don't see how it is manipulative? It seems like it is just a trendy way of singing. Like opera.
theres nothing cheap about opera

Yeah let's not go there, Argo.

OK, choose your singing style. The twang in country singing is an affectation but it doesn't mean that everyone who does it is trying to trick me in some way. It's just an aesthetic. But you're allowed to not like it, of course.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 3:02 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

But, like, some people just have that accent. Again, think of a stripper using sexy baby voice. It’s cheap and sleazy and anyone could do it. Would you?

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 3:04 am 

If I was singing a pop song, I might sing like a pop singer, yeah

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 3:05 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Just sing like yourself.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 3:06 am 

I'm an indie girl at heart, tree

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 3:06 am 
The Master

tree_ wrote:
Just sing like yourself.

uh

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 3:09 am 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

The Argonaut wrote:
if you think saying housh instead of hush makes you a legitimate indie girl, ok then.. you’ve revealed yourself more than you know

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 3:14 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The Argonaut wrote:
The slogan ’emancipation of women’ was invented by margaret cho's angry roomates, and its content was formed by the same spirit. In the really good times of womanly life, the woman had no need to emancipate herself. She possessed exactly what nature had given her to administer and preserve; just as the man in his good times had no need to fear that he would be ousted from his position in relation to the woman.

If the man’s world is said to be the State, his struggle, his readiness to devote his powers to the service of the community, then it may perhaps be said that the woman’s is a smaller world. For her world is her husband, her family, her children, and her home. But what would become of the greater world if there were no one to tend and care for the smaller one? How could the greater world survive if there were no one to make the cares of the smaller world the content of their lives?

No, the greater world is built on the foundation of this smaller world. This great world cannot survive if the smaller world is not stable. Providence has entrusted to the woman the cares of that world which is her very own, and only on the basis of this smaller world can the man’s world be formed and built up. The two worlds are not antagonistic. They complement each other, they belong together just as man and woman belong together.

We do not consider it correct for the woman to interfere in the world of the man, in his main sphere. We consider it natural if these two worlds remain distinct. To the one belongs the strength of feeling, the strength of the soul. To the other belongs the strength of vision, of toughness, of decision, and of the willingness to act. In the one case this strength demands the willingness of the woman to risk her life to preserve this important cell and to multiply it, and in the other case it demands from the man the readiness to safeguard life.

The sacrifices which the man makes in the struggle of his nation, the woman makes in the preservation of that nation in individual cases. What the man gives in courage on the battlefield, the woman gives in eternal self-sacrifice, in eternal pain and suffering. Every child that a woman brings into the world is a battle, a battle waged for the existence of her people. And both must therefore mutually value and respect each other when they see that each performs the task that Nature and Providence have ordained. And this mutual respect will necessarily result from this separation of the functions of each.

It is not true, as margaret cho's friends assert, that respect depends on the overlapping of the spheres of activity of the sexes; this respect demands that neither sex should try to do that which belongs to the sphere of the other. It lies in the last resort in the fact that each knows that the other is doing everything necessary to maintain the whole community. So our women’s movement is for us not something which inscribes on its banner as its program the fight against men, but something which has as its program the common fight together with men. For the new National Masculine community acquires a firm basis, precisely because we have gained the trust of millions of women as fanatical comrades…

Whereas previously the programs of the liberal, intellectualist women’s movements contained many points, the program of our National Masculine women’s movement has but one single point, and that point is the child, that tiny creature which must be born and grow strong and which alone gives meaning to the whole life-struggle.

Soooooo basically you are saying that a woman's only role in the world should be to raise babies???

WTF man?!?!

Do you know how dated this view is?!

Just because a bunch of marketing people got together and identified the most effective lyrical style to appeal to teenage girls and pansy boys and that annoys you doesn't mean that we should take a century's step back and debase the role of women in society solely to that of child-rearers

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 3:24 am 

tree_ wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
if you think saying housh instead of hush makes you a legitimate indie girl, ok then.. you’ve revealed yourself more than you know

I totally get why you see this particular affectation as grating and annoying, I just don't see why this particular tendency in pop makes these singers illegitimate. "I don't like this" does not equal "this is evil"

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 5:07 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

This is why I only listen to instrumental music.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 5:16 am 
The Master

lock 'er up

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 2:09 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

It matters.

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 2:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

No idea who Maggie Rogers is and there’s people in here listening to teenage b-sides , am I missing something?

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 2:46 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Maggie Rogers is cool. I like Heard It In A Past Life

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 3:07 pm 

I'll start a thread

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 3:09 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

No, don't do it

PostPosted: Thu December 31, 2020 3:10 pm 

I'm doing it!

PostPosted: Fri January 01, 2021 12:46 am 
Future Drummer

They’re doing Amy Winehouse impressions, or impressions of Amy Winehouse impressions. But most of them just aren’t that great and singing so they lean extra hard on the toddler speak aspects to simulate personality.

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2021 2:37 pm 
The Master

bart wrote:
They’re doing Amy Winehouse impressions, or impressions of Amy Winehouse impressions. But most of them just aren’t that great and singing so they lean extra hard on the toddler speak aspects to simulate personality.

i feel like Sylvan Esso should get some credit here too.

PostPosted: Wed January 06, 2021 5:11 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

spike wrote:
bart wrote:

i feel like Sylvan Esso should get some credit here too.

Yeah that is a good one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands