The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 676 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Fri December 25, 2020 5:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 27635
Location: Illinois
And your mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth

_________________
Dick/Balls


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Fri December 25, 2020 5:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 42064
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
washing machine wrote:
Is it weird that Razorblade Suitcase is the album that made Steve Albini's work known to me? I was 13.

Not at all. But it is weird how he is often quick to abandon his indie cred to mount a vigorous defense of Bush.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Fri December 25, 2020 6:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 27635
Location: Illinois
tragabigzanda wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Is it weird that Razorblade Suitcase is the album that made Steve Albini's work known to me? I was 13.

Not at all. But it is weird how he is often quick to abandon his indie cred to mount a vigorous defense of Bush.


It's far and away Bush's best work. The production is good.

_________________
Dick/Balls


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Fri December 25, 2020 6:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 27635
Location: Illinois
My touchstone Albini record was 24 Hour Revenge Therapy by Jawbreaker

_________________
Dick/Balls


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Fri December 25, 2020 6:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 27635
Location: Illinois
Jawbreaker is Kiss the Bottle btw

_________________
Dick/Balls


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Fri December 25, 2020 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 66288
Cold contagious is good too, Reid, but I'm sticking with Greedy Fly

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Fri December 25, 2020 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 3371


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Fri December 25, 2020 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 3371
Or is it Midlife Crisis? Caffeine?

It has to be from Angel Dust or King for a Day IMO.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Fri December 25, 2020 9:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 23423
Location: Scooby Doo
Be Aggressive


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Fri December 25, 2020 9:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 3371
The cheerleader chorus put it out of contention for me initially, but you might be onto something.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Sat December 26, 2020 12:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 12:41 pm
Posts: 7088
Ello Sailor wrote:
Or is it Midlife Crisis? Caffeine?

It has to be from Angel Dust or King for a Day IMO.


there are so many that you could say and id agree

for me its ashes to ashes
tomorrow it could be midlife crisis
next day mother fucker
yesterday it was land of sunshine

_________________
doug rr wrote:
i was busy grilling meat...i'll try to keep up..i could use some help from you cunts when its busy though


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Sat December 26, 2020 2:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 14290
Location: An office full of assholes
Was thinking more about this. What about Talk Show Host for Radiohead?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Sat December 26, 2020 3:19 am 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 66288
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Was thinking more about this. What about Talk Show Host for Radiohead?

Yeah but what's your pick for Bush

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Sat December 26, 2020 4:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 27635
Location: Illinois
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Was thinking more about this. What about Talk Show Host for Radiohead?

Yeah but what's your pick for Bush


ALL YOUR MENTAL ARMOR
ALL YOUR MENTAL ARMOR
And your mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth
mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth

_________________
Dick/Balls


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Sat December 26, 2020 5:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 23489
Location: Different mountains than Strat and Trag
verb_to_trust wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Was thinking more about this. What about Talk Show Host for Radiohead?

Yeah but what's your pick for Bush


ALL YOUR MENTAL ARMOR
ALL YOUR MENTAL ARMOR
And your mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth
mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth
Mouth, mouth, mouth


My buddy and I have an ongoing joke about this song for the last 17-18 years. And it’s exactly this.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Sat December 26, 2020 6:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 3371
Is someone getting the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best the best of you?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Mon January 04, 2021 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18381
Location: Space City
Back on the SY topic in this thread.

I'm willing to leave Schizophrenia entirely and take KD's "The Diamond Sea" suggestion even further and say the definitive Sonic Youth song is indeed...Washing Machine.

I've been listening to WM (the album) quite a bit lately, and I think this track fits both me and KD's criteria nicely, thus making it a truly definitive song. What it has that The Diamond Sea doesn't is that fast and punky energy that made up so much of SY's career. I think that's what I was honing in on most when trying to figure out exactly what The Diamond Sea was missing. Everything after Kim's spoken word part taps into that drone-y no wave ambient thing that The Diamond Sea's outro does so well, but it's just...more layered. If you listen close enough, you can hear Steve Shelley not missing a beat underneath that high feedback mix. It's one of my favorite moments in a SY song and any fan wondering about this band's sound needs to hear it.

What a great song.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Mon January 04, 2021 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 57729
Location: September 2020 Poster of the Month
well i'm convinced


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Mon January 04, 2021 9:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 27635
Location: Illinois
The Mats is Alex Chilton

_________________
Dick/Balls


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Song that Best Represents a Band/Artist
PostPosted: Mon January 04, 2021 9:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 7494
washing machine wrote:
Back on the SY topic in this thread.

I'm willing to leave Schizophrenia entirely and take KD's "The Diamond Sea" suggestion even further and say the definitive Sonic Youth song is indeed...Washing Machine.

I've been listening to WM (the album) quite a bit lately, and I think this track fits both me and KD's criteria nicely, thus making it a truly definitive song. What it has that The Diamond Sea doesn't is that fast and punky energy that made up so much of SY's career. I think that's what I was honing in on most when trying to figure out exactly what The Diamond Sea was missing. Everything after Kim's spoken word part taps into that drone-y no wave ambient thing that The Diamond Sea's outro does so well, but it's just...more layered. If you listen close enough, you can hear Steve Shelley not missing a beat underneath that high feedback mix. It's one of my favorite moments in a SY song and any fan wondering about this band's sound needs to hear it.

What a great song.



Compromise reached!


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 676 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Mon April 19, 2021 11:13 pm