The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: Aerosmith
PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 6:24 pm 
The Master

Kind of surprised these fellas don't have their own thread!

I just started reading Joe Perry's Autobiography. Needed a good rock doc so i went for it.

Am I a huge fan of Aerosmith? No, not really. Though, i came of age during Permanent Vacation, Pump, Get a Grip and Nine Lives. I loved those albums. I played a little south of sanity constantly and saw them in 99.

Im enjoying reading his book and gives me an excuse to actually listen to their early albums and discography again. I know latter day Aerosmith gets a bit of hate, but I goddamn love their cheesy hits and ballads.

Anywho.

Post subject: Re: Aerosmith
PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 6:29 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Strat wrote:

I just started reading Joe Perry's Autobiography. Needed a good rock doc so i went for it.

Am I a huge fan of Aerosmith? No, not really. Though, i came of age during Permanent Vacation, Pump, Get a Grip and Nine Lives. I loved those albums. I played a little south of sanity constantly and saw them in 99.

Im enjoying reading his book and gives me an excuse to actually listen to their early albums and discography again. I know latter day Aerosmith gets a bit of hate, but I goddamn love their cheesy hits and ballads.

Anywho.
Welp. This sums things up pretty well. I'd echo most of these points (I saw them twice in myself).

I guess we can lock this up now.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 6:30 pm 
The Master

elliseamos wrote:
Strat wrote:

Anywho.
Welp. This sums things up pretty well. I'd echo most of these points (I saw them twice in myself).

I guess we can lock this up now.

short and sweet. I dig it.

Next!

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 6:33 pm 
Production Police

Permanent Vacation is great, and Pump is solid. Everything since is garbage.

Their greatest contribution to my personal life is that they owned a rock club in Boston called Mama Kin, where I met and hung out with Jeff Ament in 1996 or early '97. So for that I am thankful.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 6:36 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:

Their greatest contribution to my personal life is that they owned a rock club in Boston called Mama Kin, where I met and hung out with Jeff Ament in 1996 or early '97. So for that I am thankful.

There's a goddamn hole in your soul!

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 7:02 pm 
for those who
are not...shall be

I'm so glad that Aerosmith made a personal contribution into your life, trag. The only thing they did for me was make some stupid songs that I like.

Pfft.

KindaDisgruntledRightNow.Com

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 7:12 pm 
Production Police

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 9:12 pm 
Major Dude

Overall, not a fan. There's a few tracks of theirs I like, but I don't really dig them at all.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 9:34 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Sweet Emotion is one of the greatest songs of all time

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 9:54 pm 
Polluted

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

That intro. There are some great classic rock songs on those early records. Joe Perry is another guy who made me think a Les Paul was the way to go. I mean, it helps if you can you play it as well as he can. Whatever.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 10:13 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Very few bands could really aim to hit the high mark of its predecessor and come so close as Aerosmith did in the 70s. They weren’t just a Stones rip off- they had a great period in their own right.

The problem is that eventually they contorted themselves to modernize their sound such that they eventually failed to even be recognizable to themselves (especially once the 90s hit). They went full Eddie Murphy - from firebrand to family friendly. I think it’s worth noting their heyday before their decade and a half or so rolling down the hill.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 10:14 pm 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
They went full Eddie Murphy

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 10:44 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

tragabigzanda wrote:

I always thought the blues album they did (Honkin' on Bobo?) was solid. The last album they put out was an absolute travesty.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 10:58 pm 
The Master

Self wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

That intro. There are some great classic rock songs on those early records. Joe Perry is another guy who made me think a Les Paul was the way to go. I mean, it helps if you can you play it as well as he can. Whatever.

His tone weird me out. Is it distorted? is it overdriven? is it completely clean?

Also the way he approaches scales and lead work is very very interesting. Out of my league.

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 11:03 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tragabigzanda wrote:

would you expand a little more about that encounter?

PostPosted: Thu July 30, 2020 11:41 pm 
tl;dr

I grew up on the 80's-90's hits, and discovered the 70's hits when I was going through my classic rock phase -- all of that stuff is real feel-good, happy-memory music for me. About ten years ago I tried checking out their classic-era albums (Toys in the Attic, Rocks, etc.) and wasn't really into it -- my moment for discovering "new" Aerosmith stuff has probably passed, but I can still play Greatest Hits or Big Ones and be whisked off to a happy place every once in a while...

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 1:43 am 
The Master

First album sounds like shit. It really shocks me how so many of these classic albums and songs sound like what might be considered demo's these days. Was the recording equipment that bad back in the day? or was it a new band, new producer? I mean dream on is one of the biggest rock songs ever but its so thin and weak.

Anywho. The first album kind of sucks other than mama kin and dream on.

KD, agreed on Greatest Hits and BigOnes. Its really all one needs and it certainly can excite me for a listen on occasions of randomness. I can tire on them pretty quickly though.

I guess i am still intrigued by these people and the old rockstars of the world. Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, axl, slash. Part of me misses when rock stars were bigger than god and these characters of another time. Im curious to get inside their heads.

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 1:49 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Strat wrote:
First album sounds like shit. It really shocks me how so many of these classic albums and songs sound like what might be considered demo's these days. Was the recording equipment that bad back in the day? or was it a new band, new producer? I mean dream on is one of the biggest rock songs ever but its so thin and weak.

Anywho. The first album kind of sucks other than mama kin and dream on.

KD, agreed on Greatest Hits and BigOnes. Its really all one needs and it certainly can excite me for a listen on occasions of randomness. I can tire on them pretty quickly though.

I guess i am still intrigued by these people and the old rockstars of the world. Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, axl, slash. Part of me misses when rock stars were bigger than god and these characters of another time. Im curious to get inside their heads.

Lots of coke and booze in their prime makes me think their heads aren't worth the price of admission.

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 2:33 am 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:

Well it was recorded in an 8-track demo studio in Boston in 1972.

Starting with the second album, they were using the best 24-track studio in New York.

So...yeah.

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 2:52 am 
The Master

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Strat wrote:

Well it was recorded in an 8-track demo studio in Boston in 1972.

Starting with the second album, they were using the best 24-track studio in New York.

So...yeah.

Sorry WCT!!!! Fuuuck!!

Kidding.

The world of recording and engineering is now a major interest of mine. I wish I went to school for it.

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands