The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: The Felice Brothers
PostPosted: Sat February 09, 2013 2:26 am 
The Master

I love this band. THeir S/T record is my favorite followed closely by Celebration, FL. However, they have so many great songs and random collections. Im not sure but Ian Felice may be a mad genius. Strange cat. I cant quite get a handle on these guys. You look at them and assume they have no idea what they are doing, then you see them play live and you are mostly reassured of that but then you hear them on record and they manage to keep it together long enough to put down something really magnificent and romantic. They are just great and this is one of my favorite tunes:

A strange/exciting live performance of it:

Anyways - great band. Love the tuneage these boys put out. Rag tag bunch of bastards. Im disappointed in myself for missing them last two times they have rolled through Denver. Wont make that mistake again.

Post subject: Re: The Felice Brothers
PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 5:45 am 
Poster of the Year

Saw these guys live with Conor Oberst last fall. I had never heard of them before but they were really good.

PostPosted: Fri August 25, 2017 1:55 pm 
Ian Felice's solo album "In the Kingdom of Dreams" is out today, produced by his brother Simone. A proper Ian solo album has been on my wish list for a long time, so I have high hopes for this thing:

edit: 3 songs in and it's even better than i hoped :luv:

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 5:40 pm 
The Master

guestT wrote:
Ian Felice's solo album "In the Kingdom of Dreams" is out today, produced by his brother Simone. A proper Ian solo album has been on my wish list for a long time, so I have high hopes for this thing:

Road to America is fantastic.

Not sure what really separates this apart from a classic Felice Brothers album but I like it.

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 7:32 pm 
Strat wrote:
guestT wrote:

Not sure what really separates this apart from a classic Felice Brothers album but I like it.

No mediocre bass and fiddle player songs mucking things up.

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 7:39 pm 
The Master

guestT wrote:
Strat wrote:
guestT wrote:

Lol. I love that shit about them though!

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 8:07 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i always think these guys are the Pernice Brothers

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 9:08 pm 
Strat wrote:
guestT wrote:
Strat wrote:
guestT wrote:

Lol. I love that shit about them though!

Overall I love that it's part of their whole ramshackle vibe, but after a few months I always end up skipping the non-Ian songs anyway. I like your description of him as a mad genius...I totally agree.

Have you heard Simone's album Live from a Lonely Place? I think it's just him performing his FB and Duke & King songs live in a barn.

PostPosted: Sun August 23, 2020 11:51 pm 
The Master

Their self titled albums is one of the best americana records ever.

Yea, i said it.

PostPosted: Wed August 26, 2020 2:56 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:

Yea, i said it.

I listened to this today. Thanks for the rec.

PostPosted: Wed August 26, 2020 1:32 pm 
Future Drummer

Truthfully I haven't given anything after Poughkeepsie Princess an honest listen.

PostPosted: Wed August 26, 2020 1:56 pm 
AnalLog

oasisfan35 wrote:
Truthfully I haven't given anything after Poughkeepsie Princess an honest listen.

Favorite Waitress is excellent, and Ian's solo record is a nice complement to it. Aside from those, their other recent stuff all blends together.

Their best song, for my money:

PostPosted: Wed August 26, 2020 1:57 pm 
The Master

oasisfan35 wrote:

I haven't loved anything since celebration Florida but that and self titled are just fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed August 26, 2020 5:53 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
oasisfan35 wrote:

I haven't loved anything since celebration Florida but that and self titled are just fantastic.

I enjoy Tonight at the Arizona quite a bit but it has been a while.

I was transferring some audio files the other day and came upon a set from the Big Surprise Tour:
Old Crow Medicine Show, The Dave Rawlings Machine, The Felice Brothers, Justin Townes Earle :( Benmont Tench

PostPosted: Fri August 28, 2020 1:00 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:

Yea, i said it.

Im guessing it wasn't really up your alley but im glad you gave it a spin! Its rough around the edges and everything I love about this type of music. Did you find anything to enjoy?

PostPosted: Fri August 28, 2020 2:54 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:

Yea, i said it.

Im guessing it wasn't really up your alley but im glad you gave it a spin! Its rough around the edges and everything I love about this type of music. Did you find anything to enjoy?

Oh dude, I really enjoyed it. Great first listen. Can't wait to dive into more of their stuff. It's right in my wheelhouse.

PostPosted: Sat August 29, 2020 2:20 am 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:

Yea, i said it.

Oh dude, I really enjoyed it. Great first listen. Can't wait to dive into more of their stuff. It's right in my wheelhouse.

This actually kind of surprises me! I dont know why. I guess I just figured you are really just vibing on the female americana/well produced sort of vibe? Not sure why i thought that....

I super love this album. It was kind of a life saving album for me at the time. I love that every song on the album is just on the verge of collapse. Guitars are slightly out of tune, production is very raw, vocal melodies are all over the place...

The songs are so beautiful though. They kind of hit every emotional note for me and range from scary to playful and beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat August 29, 2020 8:24 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:

Yea, i said it.

This actually kind of surprises me! I dont know why. I guess I just figured you are really just vibing on the female americana/well produced sort of vibe? Not sure why i thought that....

I super love this album. It was kind of a life saving album for me at the time. I love that every song on the album is just on the verge of collapse. Guitars are slightly out of tune, production is very raw, vocal melodies are all over the place...

The songs are so beautiful though. They kind of hit every emotional note for me and range from scary to playful and beautiful.

I get that. I do tend toward female artists. But that doesn't mean I don't listen to other stuff. And anything in the "Americana" sub-genre is of great interest to me. All that stuff tends to pique my interest and move me.

This particular album is a great introduction to a band I'm excited to learn more about.

PostPosted: Sun August 30, 2020 3:25 am 
Future Drummer

I hadn't listened to that self-titled album in ages so thanks for that Strat. Feels like a lifetime ago but I was really into this band, saw a lot of shows with each one seeming to have a story along with it and got to hang out with them at a few of those gigs. Just went looking and found my Celebration, Florida disc signed by the band... I had a setlist from a show that was hastily written on the back of another artist's tour poster that they had signed for them at a gig somewhere down south. Their spirit was quite infectious and really, really fun shows.

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands