Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Alanis

Tue February 25, 2020 3:48 pm

I know she's not a favorite around here in general but her work has always been meaningful to me. She's back with a new record this year. And her latest single, Smiling, has me reeling. It's amazing how an artist can tap into an individual experience and express something so personal that the listener could be feeling. That's always the case with her music.

The more cynical side of me will point out that she tends to nail every other album. Jagged Little Pill is an epic monster. Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie is a bit of letdown from JLP -- though I'd argue still a major record in her canon. But then Under Rug Swept is another true masterpiece. And so on.

Such Pretty Forks in the Road -- the latest record -- is an odd-numbered album, her ninth. I think I'm going to goddamn love this record. Both singles have resonated with me in profound ways and I'm really excited about this album.

Once the album drops, I'm going to do a full LAL session with all of her albums. Please join me.

How do y'all feel about her music. Does any of it resonate with you? What's your excitement level for the new record?

Re: Alanis

Tue February 25, 2020 3:50 pm

The latest singles:

Smiling (which she wrote for the stage musical 'Jagged Little Pill'):

and Reasons I Drink:

Tue February 25, 2020 3:52 pm

These are the lines from 'Smiling' that really sing in me right now:

This is my first wave of my white flag
This is the sound of me hitting bottom
This my surrender, if that's what you call it
In the anatomy of my crash

And I keep on smiling
Keep on moving
Can't stand still

Life is kicking my ass right now and this articulates how I feel maybe more than anything else I've seen/read/heard lately. It's staggering how on the same page I am with this artist throughout so many pivotal moments in my life.

Tue February 25, 2020 6:11 pm

I love her first record (who doesnt)

Two things:
- Sometimes Annie Clark sounds like Alanis
- The melody sounds like this

Tue February 25, 2020 7:00 pm

In general, I like Alanis but haven't followed her albums.
I like that second song but that first one sounds like something she's done before.

Tue February 25, 2020 7:00 pm

Dave Coullier has entered the chat

Tue February 25, 2020 8:04 pm

doone wrote:In general, I like Alanis but haven't followed her albums.
I like that second song but that first one sounds like something she's done before.

I agree that Smiling sounds familiar.

For me, it's all about lyrical content with Alanis. Even if she covers the same ground, if the lyrics connect, then I'm in.

Tue February 25, 2020 8:04 pm

verb_to_trust wrote:Dave Coullier has entered the chat

:lol:

Tue February 25, 2020 8:06 pm

Hypnosomnia wrote:I love her first record (who doesnt)

Two things:
- Sometimes Annie Clark sounds like Alanis

I can totally hear this, yeah. Probably one reason why both artists do so much for me

Alanis has such a powerful voice. Hey vocals are tops!

Tue February 25, 2020 8:30 pm

I still find her highly attractive.

Tue February 25, 2020 8:35 pm

"That I Would Be Good" is a nice song... it reminds me of when my childhood dog died because I was very sad and the video of the Unplugged version was on heavy rotation on MTV

Tue February 25, 2020 8:37 pm

i've always had a soft spot for her music. i really like her strong voice; it carries a room. and i like how personal her lyrics are.

Tue February 25, 2020 8:38 pm

She's gorgeous and talented and authentic. So yeah, totes attractive. I wish I had one tenth of her talent and charisma.

Tue February 25, 2020 8:39 pm

I love Alanis

I wasn't super into "Reasons I Drink" but I like "Smiling"

Tue February 25, 2020 8:41 pm

Saw her in 1996, one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to.

Tue February 25, 2020 8:48 pm

Anders wrote:Saw her in 1996, one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to.

:heartbeat:

She's really phenomenal live. I've seen her three times and they've all been excellent.

Tue February 25, 2020 8:51 pm

Ms Harmless wrote:I love Alanis

I wasn't super into "Reasons I Drink" but I like "Smiling"

:luv:

Tue February 25, 2020 11:35 pm

Often have an inclination to dip into her back catalogue as JLP and the unplugged album meant so much to me.

Wed February 26, 2020 12:25 am

I didn't love "Smiling", but I also owe it more than the one listen I've given it so far.

I bought a ticket to her tour this summer. I haven't seen her since '99, and with Phair and Garbage, it was tough to pass up since it was a $20 ticket.

Wed February 26, 2020 12:39 am

I wonder what Alanis' mental health problems are; I've always super related to the experiences and emotional descriptions in her lyrics, and it turns out that I was diagnosed with BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) last year; I get those kinda vibes from her too
Post a reply