The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020 RM Secret Mixtape Exchange
PostPosted: Sat March 14, 2020 3:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Well now I guesa I gotta check out Fly Pan Am.

PostPosted: Sat March 14, 2020 3:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Sorry for the bottom pager, Brett.

Brett wrote:
Thanks for the review Dr. V. Here's your track list:

1. Ganger - Cats, Dogs and Babies Jaws
2. Kiefer - Sunny
3. Saltland - Unholy
4. Le Révélateur - View Model
5. The Silt - Out Like a Light
6. My Bloody Valentine - If I Am
7. Rob Clutton - Cloak
8. Fly Pan Am - Vos reves revers
9. Nightjars - The Mary Independent
10. Elfin Saddle - Running Sheep
11. The Dwarfs of East Agouza - Clean Shahin
12. Duster - Reed to Hillsborough
13. Muskox - Foot Locker
14. Eric Chenaux - Arms, Legs and Moonlight
15. Sandro Perri - Love & Light
16. Sleepless Beach Music - Curious Flesh
17. Golden Melody Awards - Untitled

Outside of our common ground of Pearl Jam and Sigur Rós, I wasn't really sure what kind of music you listened to. Looking through some of your post history I did pick up on a few artists but I wasn't very familiar with what they sounded like and didn't have time to research.

I mostly extrapolated that you liked some of the same alternative and indie rock stuff as many of us on the board, so I figured that Ganger, MBV, and Duster would be safe bets. I had also briefly considered loading up the mix with some more post-rock stuff, but I didn't know how much your were already familiar with, so I ended up using a variety of stuff I'm into without getting too weird.

As for your comments on vocals, the Saltland track is in English, Fly Pan Am is French, and Elfin Saddle does have two vocalists. Sleepless Beach Music is definitely some keyboard or synth stuff. It's a British guy who made something like 20 albums of stuff like this between 2012 and 2016. I randomly heard a track on the local college radio around here a few years ago and have been slowly checking out his stuff since.

I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of the mix even though it wasn't in your usual zone of listening.

PostPosted: Sat March 14, 2020 4:33 pm 
AnalLog

Washing Machine: https://flypanam.bandcamp.com/

They were almost completely instrumental on their first few releases, but definitely were into some of the same stuff as Sonic Youth. There's no wave influences, deconstructionist tendencies, guitars that draw from funk, surf, and Glenn Branca-esque stuff. N'écoutez pas, which the song on Doc's mix comes from, added vocals and got a lot more songlike. They added influences from noise rock, shoegaze, and early post-rock, which I guess was their aim all along. Afterwards they felt like they couldn't progress any further with their skills at the time, so went on hiatus for 15 years, and then released a new album last year, C'est ça that refined what they did on the previous.

PostPosted: Sat March 14, 2020 4:43 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Awesome. Thanks :bammer:

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 5:19 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Still waiting on two reviews.

:cop:

Quarantine seems like the perfect time to listen to your mix.

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 1:47 pm 
Future Drummer

RM202: COMBO BREAKER: A Mix For SNC

Sorry this took so long, every thing here is upside down and I didn't have much time to listen to anything believe it or not. And today was the first time I"m working from home.

Really, this should be called, let the record show I think I like a Real Estate song. Go figure. On first glace of the track list that was the band that elicited the response, "Oh Christ". But hey, it's not dreadful.

I can't do a track by track, cause I can see the artists. All told this is probably my favorite of all the RM mixes I've received (with the exception of Delaney's cassette from '05). The artists are all in my wheelhouse with tracks I haven't heard in a ages, or even at all. The flow is fantastic, esp the Yo La, Feelies, Isobel run. I adore Jerry Jeff Walker. If I had to scratch two tracks, I could do without Field Music and the Boom Boom Rats. On paper, I should hate the Dead Lips but you know it's not too bad. Thank you again whomever made this, it was a great listen.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Tue March 17, 2020 1:49 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

you can still do a track by track review- just don't look at spotify when the mix is playing. Or do, but still give a track by track review of your thoughts? Idk, I think the mixer would appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 2:25 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I had a chance to listen to the mix Ruddo made and the mix Kaius made, they were both really fun listens. Im hoping to get through 1 or 2 more tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 2:29 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
RM202: COMBO BREAKER: A Mix For SNC

Sorry this took so long, every thing here is upside down and I didn't have much time to listen to anything believe it or not. And today was the first time I"m working from home.

Really, this should be called, let the record show I think I like a Real Estate song. Go figure. On first glace of the track list that was the band that elicited the response, "Oh Christ". But hey, it's not dreadful.

I can't do a track by track, cause I can see the artists. All told this is probably my favorite of all the RM mixes I've received (with the exception of Delaney's cassette from '05). The artists are all in my wheelhouse with tracks I haven't heard in a ages, or even at all. The flow is fantastic, esp the Yo La, Feelies, Isobel run. I adore Jerry Jeff Walker. If I had to scratch two tracks, I could do without Field Music and the Boom Boom Rats. On paper, I should hate the Dead Lips but you know it's not too bad. Thank you again whomever made this, it was a great listen.

snc, your mix was made by: washing machine

01. Rumble at the Rainbo - Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks
02. Up on the Sun - Meat Puppets
03. Two Arrows - Real Estate
04. Mind - Talking Heads
05. Friday I'm in Love - Yo La Tengo
06. Everybody's Got Something to Hide (Except for Me and My Monkey) - The Feelies
07. Runnin' Down a Dream - Isobel Campbell
08. Sangria Wine - Jerry Jeff Walker
09. Die and Live Forever - The Growlers
10. Blues from Beyond the Grave - Thurston Moore
11. OLV 26 - Stereolab
12. Hope Hell High - Dead Lips
13. Trash Glam Baby - The Boomtown Rats
14. Money is a Memory - Field Music

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/43oa4 ... y_A8ydY2jQ

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 5:07 am 
Looks Like a Cat

SNC, it was very tough making this for you. You seem to have access to a much broader range of music than me, so I knew I wasn't going to blow your mind with anything new.

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed this mix. Flow and reframing deep cuts from known artists is exactly what I was aiming for, really. Ironic for a mix called "combo breaker." I named it that because the run of covers in the middle ends abruptly.(That new Isobel Campbell album is great if you haven't checked it out yet.)

Awesome to find a fellow Jerry Jeff fan, btw.

Thanks for the review :peace:

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 5:23 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Oh yeah, there's more subtle reasons it's called combo breaker too.

-the sudden shifts in time sigs on the opener...
-Byrne singing "I need something to change your mind..."
-the sudden death ending that comes with the repetitive outro in that Real Estate song...

Definitely more little things on there too. I had fun putting together this mix.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 2:16 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I knew reid would have at least one real estate song.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2020 2:20 pm 
Future Drummer

So good, thanks again! I walked the two miles home yesterday instead of taking the subway so I listened to it again, dug it a lot!

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Fri March 20, 2020 12:56 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I did not anticipate being the last person to post a review, so I apologize to my mixmaker. I wanted to give it my full attention and writing a review was just not something I was very much in the mood for during the insane couple of weeks we've just been through. However, I am very glad to make this the very first thing I do during Argentina's mandatory quarantine.

Like I said earlier, this mix was very sonically cohesive -- most of the songs are from a certain era of rock music, where early punk had given way to something stranger and more off-kilter. Even the songs that are from a later period fit in really well with the rest of the material. I have no idea who made the mix, though I could easily figure it out by process of elimination since I am the last person to review. I'm not going to do that, though, I'll let the mixmaker reveal themselves.

The mix is called Bits & Pieces. The mixmaker left the song titles on the actual files but I tried my best not to look at them.

1- One thing I've had to come to terms with over the years is that I'm not really as much of a Joy Division fan as I thought I was. I still like them, don't get me wrong, it's just that my patience for some of the more punishing parts of their (brief) discography has worn kind of thin. That said, this is "Disorder," one of their best songs and one I haven't run out of love for. I love the angular nature of the bass and guitar parts as well as the swirly sounds that come in and out of the mix. This serves as a solid start to the mix and really puts us in a specific time and place. I start seeing in black and white, like the world is shot by Anton Corbijn.

2- I don't know this song! But the transition from the Joy Division song is really good. This one has much more of a punk rock edge, though, seems to really up the ante. A strong sense of despair runs through this song, and the production makes it sound like it's from a similar era as the Joy Division tune. Really intense guitar ... solo? ... threatens to throw the track completely off the rails. "You're my only friend, you don't even like me." I really loved this.

3- Muted bit of bass starts us off on the next song, which I also am not familiar with. Another late-70s/early-80s bit of post punk with a jagged edge and, this time, with a very heavy British accent. It sounds like the guy is singing "I know big Trevor is good for you," which, if it's actually the case, is a great piece of absurdist songwriting. Even if it's not, I really like this song's mounting paranoia and frustration. The guitars have a really cool "swishy" quality that I really resonate with.

4- Hey I know this one. This is "The Rat" by The Walkmen. Still in the world of post-punk. This is such a beautiful song. The descending guitar lines after every hook line. The sorrowful bridge. Great stuff and, again, very much keeping in line with the mix so far. "When I used to go out, I would know everyone that I saw. Now I go out alone if I go out at all". Incredible song here.

5- For the very first second of this song I thought "oh shit, they put Ca Plane Pour Moi here," because the song starts with a similar beat, guitar sound, and horns. But no, it's another song I'm not familiar with. A more playful kind of song with an infectious swagger and jabs of horns throughout. Again something from a similar sonic universe as the rest of the tracks. I really like it! But it is a tiny bit of a step down from what came before, if only because the last two songs were incredible and this feels a bit more lightweight.

6- "Neat Neat Neat" by The Damned. A brilliant fucking song, love this one real hard. Love the nervous energy in this blocky, unhinged piece of songwriting. The Damned were so fucking good for a while. Fun fact: this song nearly got an old blog of mine taken offline as I got hit with several DMCA takedowns in a row for posting full songs -- the very last one of which was for this song.

7- GOT SOME IF YOU NEED IT! No, this is "Gut Feeling" by Devo, which I didn't know before hearing all about how Pearl Jam copied it for "Got Some" over a decade ago. Honestly this is the much better song, and the fact that the circling chord progression has five bars instead of four gives it a very cool, slightly disorienting feeling. Really love the keyboards too. And who's better at sounding unhinged than the guys who made "Mongoloid"? I don't know much about Devo but I really like every song I've heard.

8- Fuckin A "10:15 Saturday Night" by The Cure! Very good song. I will admit that very early Cure is probably my least-favorite era of The Cure; not because the songs are bad, but because the production on Three Imaginary Boys is just appalling. You can barely hear the guitar here! It's so buried on the right channel at low, low, low volume while the drums are just absurdly loud. But I really like this song; it hints at the greatness the band would achieve in later years. I remember them describing themselves as "Elvis Costello wannabes" in their early days, and you can sort of hear it on this song. Holy shit that lead guitar line startles me every time by actually being at a decent volume for a guitar-based track. What were they thinking.

9- "This is England" by The Clash. Something that always fascinates me is when artists make an album or a song that they later completely disown -- something about the frankness of admitting failure, and the different factors they try to pin the failure on, that I find super interesting. Especially when you check out the work in question and find that it resonates with you. Cut the Crap is a bad album. Everybody knows it. But "This is England"? "This is England" is a great fucking song, and I liked it from the moment I heard it. And this isn't even a case of "yes there is a good song buried under all the bad production choices," I LIKE the production! I like the chintzy fucking Casio sound. I like the hilariously dated drum machines. There's something kooky about it all. And I just like to hear Joe Strummer sing, regardless of what he's singing. Maybe this should've been a solo track. Anyway, great song and a great fit for the mix.

10- I am familiar enough with Billy Bragg's work to immediately recognize his voice, but not familiar enough to know this song by title. Love to hear him do his thing, and he is a very engaging guitar player so the bare-bones arrangement here doesn't bother me. Plus, the lone-singer-and-guitar arrangement serves as a nice little respite from the rest of the album. That said, one wonders how this would sound with a full band arrangement. Very nice track.

11- Hahaha the transition into this track was a lot of fun. This is a lighthearted, kooky song about having a "grey cortina". It reminds me of Nick Lowe and/or Rockpile. Fun pub-rock sort of song. The late 70s early 80s were great for this type of thing. The guitar solo in the middle sounds like a car revving up, which was a good touch. I don't know that I could listen to an entire album of this particular brand of music but this is a nice bit of fun.

12- The Triffids! Holy shit I hadn't even thought about this band in a long-ass while. In my mind, they represent a kind of midway point between the post-punk stuff that dominates this mix and what later came to be known as "the New Romantics". I really like this song, "Hell of a Summer". Great songcraft.

13- I don't know this song but I am an instant fan. I love the shimmer of it -- it is so very 80s. I am a sucker for those moments when big wide open chordy songs jump into quieter palm-muted sections. A lovely, breezy, romantic love song that appears to stand in sharp thematic (if perhaps not sonic) contrast with the rest of this mix.

14- The next song unfurls itself to us and it turns out it's a slow version of "Wave of Mutilation" by Pixies. I really like this version of the song, I'm not sure I'd ever heard it before. It's placid and sweet. And though I know it came later than most everything else on the mix, it fits in really well with everything else.

15- Our final track is "La folie" by The Stranglers. A song that jumps back and forth between solemn and silly. This is a great way to wrap up a very strong mix.

Thanks a lot mix maker, I really enjoyed this and there are several songs that are unknown to me and I loved. No clue if you tailored this to my tastes at all but I am a big fan of this type of music so this was great.

PostPosted: Fri March 20, 2020 9:46 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

theplatypus, your mix was made by: Higgs

01. Disorder (1979) - Joy Division
02. My Pal - God
03. Carol - The Peep Tempel
04. The Rat - The Walkmen
05. Know Your Product - The Saints
06. Neat Neat Neat - The Damned
07. Gut Feeling - Devo
08. 10:15 Saturday Night - The Cure
09. This Is England - The Clash
10. Strange Things Happen - Billy Bragg
11. Grey Cortina - Tom Robinson
12. Hell of a Summer - The Triffids
13. At First Sight - The Stems
14. Wave of Mutilation - Pixies
15. La Folie - The Stranglers

And with that, we're done!

Thanks to everyone for making and listening to these mixes, I hope it was enjoyable, it definitely was for me.

PostPosted: Fri March 20, 2020 10:00 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Embarrassing. That was an Australian accent not a British one

PostPosted: Fri March 20, 2020 11:59 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

The Triffids were a massive give away.

PostPosted: Sat March 21, 2020 12:34 am 
Future Drummer

Any more non Spotify links for those of us interested in hearing the mixes?

PostPosted: Sat March 21, 2020 12:54 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Thanks for running this spenno

PostPosted: Sat March 21, 2020 1:13 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

doone wrote:
Any more non Spotify links for those of us interested in hearing the mixes?

All the links (Spotify or otherwise) should be collected in the header post under the spoiler.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands