The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2020 RM Secret Mixtape Exchange
PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 11:27 am 
10Club Complaint Department

LetMeSleep wrote:
My money is on snc with wm a possibility.

No surprises here, LMS. Your mix creator was: super nintendo chalmers

01. Cold Rain & Snow (live 1966) - Grateful Dead
02. Mind Left Body Jam (live 1974) - Grateful Dead
03. Memphis, Tennessee - Sandy Bull
04. Too Many Dociled Minds - Sir Douglas Quintet
05. Trains Across the Sea - Silver Jews
06. Lonesome LA Cowboy - Mapache
07. Long Wave - Bonny Doon
08. Human Highway (live) - Neil Young & Crazy Horse
09. Please Be With Me - Cowboy
10. Loretta - Townes Van Zandt
11. Friday Night Fever - George Strait
12. Have You Ever Seen Peaches Growing on a Sweet Potato Vine? - Jake Xerxes Fussell

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3fPGe ... jCEeElWRuA

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 11:31 am 
Posting (live)

Haha the dead. From 66. Nailed it. And Jake Xerxes Russell. Hell yeah.

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 11:44 am 
Posting (live)

Thanks for doing this, radio birdman.

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 11:45 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

That sounds like a sweet ass mix. Noice.

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 11:49 am 
Posting (live)

Most snc mixes are sweet. The man has taste.

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 11:52 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

This is not news to me.

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 1:22 pm 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
This one was mine!

Once I got you, it was kind of a challenge because I know we have some similarities in taste but I also know you don't particularly care for jazzier material, particularly straight-ahead jazz. I decided I'd stick with a very specific post-punk/prog-pop 80s vibe and I'm so glad it worked for you.

Here's the tracklist:

01. Animal Grace - Adrian Belew (Lone Rhino, 1982)
02. Great Fire - XTC (Mummer, 1983)
03. Deep Sleep - B52’s (Mesopotamia, 1982)
04. Regiment - Brian Eno & David Byrne (My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, 1981)
05. Bamboo Houses - David Sylvian & Ryuichi Sakamoto (single, 1982)
06. It Only Has to Happen Once - Ambitious Lovers (Greed, 1988)
07. Lights in the Night - Flash and the Pan (Lights in the Night, 1980)
08. Rising Thermal 14° 16' N; 32° 28’ E - Jon Hassell & Brian Eno (Fourth World Vol. 1: Possible Musics, 1980)
09. Pull Out the Pin - Kate Bush (The Dreaming, 1982)
10. Discipline - King Crimson (Discipline, 1981)
12. Intruder - Peter Gabriel (Peter Gabriel (Melt), 1980)
13. As Above, So Below - Tom Tom Club (Tom Tom Club, 1981)
14. Laughing Man - Adrian Belew (Desire Caught by the Tail, 1986)
15. The Pearl - Harold Budd & Brian Eno (The Pearl, 1984)

Download link to the tracked version: https://mega.nz/#!0ZshlKCa!Qmc4to8b1efp ... Hmu45Qpiy0

Oops. I wondered if you might have been throwing me a curve ball. Honestly, I don't mind jazz for the most part, but I've been finding there's particular strains that don't resonate as well with me. I like it when I can find something to latch onto and follow and I've noticed that things like fusion and smooth jazz are more my speed. Honestly, I could use a primer on the various styles, but I digress.

Thank you for the mix. I plan on exploring the home albums of several of these songs before too long. As an aside, is there any way we can get the links to the revealed mixes added to your header post when you've got the time? It will be easier to check those out without having to mine through the rest of the thread.

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 2:00 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Definitely giving the Spenno mix a listen. Looks great on paper. Good to see Tom Tom Club songs that aren't Genius of Love also getting some play.

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 2:11 pm 
Future Drummer

Oh man, so glad you liked it. I definitely took a different tack with this one and I was happy with how out it came out. If you liked that Trains Across the Sea song, the Silver Jews covered Friday Night Fever, you might wanna try finding that one. That Memphis, Tennessee song is a cover of the Chuck Berry tune and Lonesome LA Cowboy is a New Riders of the Purple Sage song. Mapache also has a very sweet version of Loretta that floats around on YouTube. I saw them last year and they played it too. Oh, and Jimmy Lee Williams does an early version of Peaches.

Shit, here are other versions/originals if you're curious.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1LSal ... SgsNjN7jUw

I'll have my review up after the weekend most likely. It's been a little hectic around here lately.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 8:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Ive made it all the way through my mix once, and while id say its not really my thing, its very interesting. Today is the first day since last thursday that i havent felt miserable from a stomach flu ive been dealing with so im really hoping tomorrow i can listen all the way through at once instead of a few songs each day, and ill try to get some notes down in the process. Sorry again for the delay.

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 8:39 pm 
AnalLog

washing machine wrote:
Kreng, I looked up that Oxbow album on Spotify and cranked it up on my way to work tonight, I'll have you know. The track Time, Gentlemen, Time is my speed.

:nice:

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 8:48 pm 

Brett wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
This one was mine!

Once I got you, it was kind of a challenge because I know we have some similarities in taste but I also know you don't particularly care for jazzier material, particularly straight-ahead jazz. I decided I'd stick with a very specific post-punk/prog-pop 80s vibe and I'm so glad it worked for you.

Here's the tracklist:

01. Animal Grace - Adrian Belew (Lone Rhino, 1982)
02. Great Fire - XTC (Mummer, 1983)
03. Deep Sleep - B52’s (Mesopotamia, 1982)
04. Regiment - Brian Eno & David Byrne (My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, 1981)
05. Bamboo Houses - David Sylvian & Ryuichi Sakamoto (single, 1982)
06. It Only Has to Happen Once - Ambitious Lovers (Greed, 1988)
07. Lights in the Night - Flash and the Pan (Lights in the Night, 1980)
08. Rising Thermal 14° 16' N; 32° 28’ E - Jon Hassell & Brian Eno (Fourth World Vol. 1: Possible Musics, 1980)
09. Pull Out the Pin - Kate Bush (The Dreaming, 1982)
10. Discipline - King Crimson (Discipline, 1981)
12. Intruder - Peter Gabriel (Peter Gabriel (Melt), 1980)
13. As Above, So Below - Tom Tom Club (Tom Tom Club, 1981)
14. Laughing Man - Adrian Belew (Desire Caught by the Tail, 1986)
15. The Pearl - Harold Budd & Brian Eno (The Pearl, 1984)

Download link to the tracked version: https://mega.nz/#!0ZshlKCa!Qmc4to8b1efp ... Hmu45Qpiy0

Oops. I wondered if you might have been throwing me a curve ball. Honestly, I don't mind jazz for the most part, but I've been finding there's particular strains that don't resonate as well with me. I like it when I can find something to latch onto and follow and I've noticed that things like fusion and smooth jazz are more my speed. Honestly, I could use a primer on the various styles, but I digress.

Thank you for the mix. I plan on exploring the home albums of several of these songs before too long. As an aside, is there any way we can get the links to the revealed mixes added to your header post when you've got the time? It will be easier to check those out without having to mine through the rest of the thread.

Header post should now be updated for all the reviews posted thus far.

If you liked that final track, you should get a lot out of the rest of that album (The Pearl), it's great. There's one other Budd/Eno album from around that time and Harold Budd's other work is in largely in a similar vein.

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 11:00 pm 
AnalLog

alright...

My mixmaker either didn't know my tastes, or simply didn't give a shit about matching the mix to my taste. Both are acceptable answers, as ideally the mix receiver gets exposed to a lot of new things, which i did.

I sort of wish i had received this tag-less because unfortunately my preconceived notions of some of these artists are pretty strong and made me less than excited to listen to this whole thing. In that regard, this mix lived up to expectations.
However, i wanted to give this a fair shot and listen all the way through at least a few times.

A lot of these artists sound like barroom bands that i try to avoid.

the first 6 songs or flow well together, but none stick out much. the song 1945 sounds like a blatant Tom Petty rip-off (as do a few others on this mix)

01 - Mansion Door by Shakey Graves
02 - 1945 by Carl Anderson
03 - Coaster by David Shultz
04 - Humbug Mountain Song by Fruit Bats

this is the best song on the mix thus far

05 - Power Hungry Animals by The Apache Relay
06 - Little Movies by Aaron Lee Tasjan

Then it gets weird. I like weird but this is rough.

07 - The W.A.N.D by The Flaming Lips

Never cared much for what i've heard of The Flaming Lips and this is no exception. terrible song.

followed by probably the best song on the mix

08 - Same by Matthew Logan Vasquez

never heard this before, but it's poppy and groovey and overall enjoyable and redeems the mix from the previous song.

another awkward transition into

09 - Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings by Father John Misty

This is an artist i feel like i would like a lot more if i gave him a chance. I've heard much better songs from him than this one.

10 - Eyes To The Wind by The War On Drugs

I just can't get into this band. It sounds like too many other bands (including Tom Petty again). i can only listen to them for a few songs and i get bored or annoyed.

Next 3 were unnecessary.

11 - Sea Of Clouds by Deer Tick
12 - Survive by Dr. Dog
13 - City Music by Kevin Morby

decent ending with

14 - The Meaning by Fruition
15 - Funeral Beds by The Districts

the last song being decent song with nice crescendo, fitting end to the mix.

Overall, I really appreciate the effort put in by the mixmaker, and i hope that they themselves can listen to this and enjoy it, but i don't think i'll fall back on this mix anytime soon.

the better songs were:

Humbug Mountain Song by Fruit Bats
Same by Matthew Logan Vasquez
The Meaning by Fruition
Funeral Beds by The Districts

i don't know some of the remaining mix makers tastes well enough, but of the ones i do, i'm guessing this might have been the doctor's mix.

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 11:05 pm 

kreng wrote:
i don't know some of the remaining mix makers tastes well enough, but of the ones i do, i'm guessing this might have been the doctor's mix.

You picked it.

kreng, your mix was made by: Dr. Van Nostrand

PostPosted: Wed March 11, 2020 11:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Birds in Hell wrote:
kreng wrote:

You picked it.

kreng, your mix was made by: Dr. Van Nostrand

Im happy there were some songs that worked for you, i did try to look into some of the stuff you have mentioned recently, but i found some pretty overwhelming amounts of stuff id never heard of, but did listen to a few singer/songwriter folky things from i think your year end list, so i hoped some up beat folky type stuff would work for you. I started making it by just putting about 40 songs ive been into recently into a mix and tried to find transitions, things like the flaming lips song and the father john song are ones ive seen live recently and really stuck with me, especially the visuals of both so i tried to make them fit in with a flow. This is definitely a mix that i will listen to now that this is over, but im also really looking forward to listen to all of the others once available. Matthew logan Vasquez is also the singer of delta spirit, if you liked his song well enough to explore and dont already know them they have quite a few albums as well. Thanks a lot for the review Kreng.

PostPosted: Thu March 12, 2020 9:58 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Alright, here’s my review of the mix I received. It was a Spotify playlist so I tried my best not to look at the tracklist before listening so I wouldn’t have any preconceptions (and also because it’s fun to guess). This led to a silly misadventure though: the first time I listened to the playlist I thought it was very long and I had to stop after 15 or so tracks. The next day I decide to give it another try so I skip through the first 5 or 6 songs and start from here. After a few tracks I notice the tracks have changed. It turns out the mixtape itself was only 11 tracks long but once it was over Spotify kept playing random songs based on that playlist... Another weird thing that happened is that I’ve heard the whole thing 3 times (+ extra tracks) and I didn’t get any ads? I thought this would be case with a free account. Anyway, not complaining.

Here it goes.

01 - Like I said, I listened to this without looking at the screen. I wasn’t quick enough to avoid seeing this one though, I only saw the artwork but it was enough to recognize the band. Cool track that manages to be groovy and rock hard at the same time. A nice way to open the mix.
(Death - Politicans In My Eyes)

02 - A fast-paced, pissed-off, post-punk-ish track that works great as a followup to the Death song. I like this one a lot.
(The Murder Capital - Feeling Fades)

03 - Going up one notch in agressiveness. The singer is full of rage. So far this mix is pretty great.
(High Tension - Ghost to Ghost)

04 - Cool intro stoner/psychedelic rock riff. I thought it was Black Mountain because it sounds awfully similar to something they would come up with but when the vocals came in I figured it was a different band. This one’s okay, doesn't do much except for that cool riff.
(Stonefield - Delusion)

05 - Wow, the transition here is a bit jarring. Female vocals, a bit on the poppy side but not actually pop pop. I’m positive I’ve heard this before but I’m drawing a blank here. I do like it but it makes for a weird flow in the mix.
(Priests - The Seduction of Kansas - yup, I’ve heard these guys, Nothing Feels Natural was pretty great)

06 - Things are getting mellower now. This is called shoegaze or something? Nice track with some cool guitar work.
(DIIV - Skin Game, heard of them but I don’t think I’ve actually heard them before?)

07 - Turns out things are not getting mellower after all. I like myself a bit of black metal. Wait I think I recognize this from the 2nd half where it veers from the typical BM sound. This has to be Deafheaven, right? It’s a nice track but it overstays its welcome a bit.
(Deafheaven - Honeycomb)

08 - Hey I know this one. Neil Young-esque, classic rock intro riff followed by Meg Baird’s delicate singing. The band is called Heron Oblivion and I love this song and album.
(Heron Oblivion - Your Hollows)

09 - A long trippy intro that delves into a dark, plodding, goth-y number ending with some shredding. I feel like this is from a well-known band, like Tool or something? Not bad.
(Triptykon - Aurorae - well I’ve heard this album but I don’t remember much from it)

10 - I’m really not a fan of this type of metal, or whatever -core subgenre it is. It’s not all bad though, I don’t like the chugging and harsh vocals on this but the clean parts are pretty cool actually.
(Polaris - Lucid)

11 - Oh, bleeps and blops. And lasers too! The music sounds like 80’s dark-wave but the dramatic, soulful vocals make me think it’s more recent. I kinda like it even though it’s not something I would usually listen to. Nice closer.
(Light Asylum - Dark Allies)

Nice work mixmaker, you didn’t have an easy task and I don’t know if you tried to tailor your mix based on the mere 2 posts I’ve made or if I’m just lucky I was paired with someone whose taste matches mine but I’ve been enjoying the vast majority of this. The only tracks I didn’t really care for were Stonefield and the -core one. Other than that, you did great. I will definitely look into a few of these bands, mainly The Murder Capital and High Tension.

As far as guessing who made this mix, my money is on LetMeSleep.

PostPosted: Thu March 12, 2020 10:15 pm 

NotThatGuy wrote:
As far as guessing who made this mix, my money is on LetMeSleep.

Bang on.

NotThatGuy, your mix was made by: LetMeSleep

PostPosted: Thu March 12, 2020 11:14 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

My review will be up in the morning

PostPosted: Thu March 12, 2020 11:34 pm 
Posting (live)

I had so little to go on, NTG.

PostPosted: Thu March 12, 2020 11:40 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I’ll get my review up by this weekend at the latest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands