Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Albums of 2020

Thu October 08, 2020 2:53 am

Another new Patten album just out last Friday, his third this year, called Aegis (following Glow and GLO)))). He brings back the beats for this album while still keeping a more distinctive sound palette so it ends up sounding like a fusion of his stylistic traits.
Here it is on Bandcamp:

With the year stalled out, Constellation has started a new series called Corona Borealis wherein one artist a week releases a new long-form piece of music specially curated by the label and artist, between 9 and 30 minutes long, each accompanied by experimental film/video. There will be 16 pieces total, releasing every Thursday in October and November, and then again in January and February, and with a PWYC price for the first two days. Here's the schedule:

Fall 2020
Markus Floats • 01 October
Efrim Manuel Menuck • 08 October
Jessica Moss • 15 October
Jason Sharp • 22 October
T. Gowdy • 29 October
Fly Pan Am • 05 November
JOYFULTALK • 12 November
Joni Void + N NAO • 19 November

Winter 2021
T. Griffin • 15 January
Eric Chenaux • 22 January
Deadbeat & Martin Bakero • 29 January
Automatisme • 05 February
Light Conductor • 12 February
Off World • 19 February
Sam Shalabi • 26 February
Jerusalem In My Heart • 04 March

Last week's release was Markus Floats with "Karl Marx. Capital Volume 1. Chapter 33: The Modern Theory Of Colonisation [Abridged]," a piece of his trademark fusion of drone and synth arpeggios playing around a reading of the title text. Here's that on Bandcamp:
https://markusfloats.bandcamp.com/track/karl-marx-capital-volume-1-chapter-33-the-modern-theory-of-colonisation-abridged-2

This week, just released, is Efrim Menuck with "Baby It Has to Fall," an incantatory droning folk song. Likewise on Bandcamp, as the whole series will be:
https://efrimmanuelmenuck.bandcamp.com/track/baby-it-has-to-fall

Thu October 08, 2020 2:58 am

Chris_H_2 wrote:It sounds like an extension of Kveikur.

Definitely. I've been waiting a while for a follow-up to Kveikur, and while this isn't quite that, it does scratch the itch pretty well. It's going to sit high on my end of the year list, I think.

Fri October 09, 2020 1:28 pm

These guys get better with every album!

Tue October 13, 2020 9:03 pm

VinylGuy wrote:I listened once to the new Bully album but it didnt grabbed me. I prefer the other stuff...the band is just Alice right?

Oh and one that disappear completely is Hayley Williams´s Petals For Armor

It's Alicia, not Alice. I've been listening to Bully since 2015. Saw them live when "Feels Like" was still new, awesome show. I think I still like that first album the most though.

Tue October 13, 2020 9:08 pm

Alicia right.

Tue October 13, 2020 9:25 pm

Have you guys listened to her cover of Turn to Hate by Orville Peck? Hot fire.

Wed October 14, 2020 7:02 pm

wrong thread

Fri October 16, 2020 12:47 pm

The third release in Constellation's "Corona Borealis" series is a piece by Jessica Moss, titled "Opened Ending." It is a piece that draws melodic inspiration from Moss's Jewish heritage and in her mind it is mourning music, connected to a sense of loss and renewal that she finds in all Jewish music. Here's the video made in collaboration with her longtime associate, the filmmaker Jem Cohen:

And the piece on Bandcamp: https://jessicamoss.bandcamp.com/track/opened-ending

Fri October 16, 2020 1:16 pm

Albums that I care about deeply in no certain order:
Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters
Perfume Genius - Set My Heart On Fire Immedietaly
Fleet Foxes - Shore

Albums that are enjoyable in no certain order:
The Microphones - Microphones in 2020
Charli XCX - How I'm Feeling Now
Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
Laura Marling - Song for Our Daughter
Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension
Pearl Jam - Gigaton

What I'm looking forward to and could be in my "care about deeply" category based on two singles:
Adrianne Lenker - Songs

Sat October 17, 2020 2:26 am

Sun October 18, 2020 12:38 pm

Lianne La Havas has jumped to the top of my list. Amazing.

New Mac Demarco was unexpected and surprisingly more groovy than I've known him to be.

Mon October 19, 2020 3:49 pm

I like the new Beabadoobee album. It's much poppier than her other stuff but that's OK, the whole retro-90s/Sarah Records aesthetic was running a bit thin. "Horen Sarrison" is really lovely

Mon October 19, 2020 4:31 pm

The new Annie album is fun. It’s called Dark Hearts. Very moody 80s synth-meets-Scandinavian pop. Like Carly Rae’s Emotion, but trade the bubblegum for black eyeliner.

Mon October 19, 2020 4:36 pm

elliseamos wrote:Lianne La Havas has jumped to the top of my list. Amazing.

:luv:

Mon October 19, 2020 5:09 pm

Jorge wrote:I like the new Beabadoobee album. It's much poppier than her other stuff but that's OK, the whole retro-90s/Sarah Records aesthetic was running a bit thin. "Horen Sarrison" is really lovely

I was super in love with all of the singles but then the album as a whole is a bit muddy and disspointing compared to them I found. The production of the 1975s guy ends up being a little too much which is weird because I feel like it makes the songs really shine individually. Still really good and god "Sorry" is such a stellar song.

Tue October 20, 2020 12:11 am

listening to Beabadoobee, "Fake It Flowers" lately - very 90s, somewhat summery alt rock

Wed October 21, 2020 7:16 pm

technically a 2021 album but julien's new single is very good

Wed October 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Yeah I'm looking forward to that one.

Wed October 21, 2020 9:50 pm

Apparently there's 2 new thee oh sees albums but now they're just called osees

The new Sturgill Simpson bluegrass album is p neat

Downloaded garcia peoples but didnt listen yet