Switch to full style
Other than Pearl Jam, who else is there?
Post a reply

Re: Albums of 2020

Sat September 26, 2020 1:38 am

Kevin Davis wrote:
Strat wrote:I hate sufjan. He ruined one of my favorite dylan songs and there was no looking back after that.

I really like Seven Swans and Carrie and Lowell -- his more maximalist stuff wears on me quickly, though it's great in small doses. What Dylan song are you referring to?

He did Ring Them Bells. Not aware of any others.

Sat September 26, 2020 1:39 am

LetMeSleep wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Strat wrote:I hate sufjan. He ruined one of my favorite dylan songs and there was no looking back after that.

I really like Seven Swans and Carrie and Lowell -- his more maximalist stuff wears on me quickly, though it's great in small doses. What Dylan song are you referring to?

He did Ring Them Bells. Not aware of any others.

Yea. And when that came out i was HUGE on Oh Mercy and that song was just this hypnotic healing meditative comfort blanket.

I hated his cover. Hated.

Sat September 26, 2020 1:57 am

Ew. Yeah, that's hideous. Sufjan has no capacity for pulling off a song like that.

Sat September 26, 2020 3:01 am

sufjan is a very good songwriter, this album kinda sucks though

for today's releases bob mould & sad13's are nice

Sat September 26, 2020 3:10 am

chewm wrote:sufjan is a very good songwriter, this album kinda sucks though

I love Bob Mould but his albums have very rare playback desire for me.

Star Machine is great and the stuff he put out under Sugar was some of the best alt rock ever.

But his albums kind of blend together. They all sound the same and i can never understand what he is saying. I enjoy them when im listening but i dont ever crave to go back .

Sat September 26, 2020 3:33 am

Strat wrote:

Star Machine is great and the stuff he put out under Sugar was some of the best alt rock ever.

But his albums kind of blend together. They all sound the same and i can never understand what he is saying. I enjoy them when im listening but i dont ever crave to go back .

Oh I agree, I'm relistening to it right now and while it's some really enjoyable and solid fuzzy rock, I can't see myself going back to it much when I could be playing Copper Blue (which is one of my absolute favorites), felt the same way about his album from last year, haven't listened to more of his solo stuff.

Sat September 26, 2020 3:48 am

chewm wrote:
Strat wrote:

Oh I agree, I'm relistening to it right now and while it's some really enjoyable and solid fuzzy rock, I can't see myself going back to it much when I could be playing Copper Blue (which is one of my absolute favorites), felt the same way about his album from last year, haven't listened to more of his solo stuff.

Same thing with Husker Du but that had AWFUL production. LIke, i understand and recognize the beauty of it but .....

Yea...give me Copper Blue and Silver Age and im good

Sat September 26, 2020 4:23 am

Strat wrote:
chewm wrote:
Strat wrote:

Same thing with Husker Du but that had AWFUL production. LIke, i understand and recognize the beauty of it but .....

I love Husker Du (Sugar's first record is my favorite of his records though), I'm admittedly not as much of a production freak as most people here, but also arent you like... a big mats fan?

Sat September 26, 2020 1:59 pm

Meant to post this in the Fleet Foxes thread but I guess it works here too:
I like the new album so far but upon initial listening I don't think it's better than Crack Up, which might be my favorite album they've made, even though the first one is probably more personal and special to me. Not every album that is difficult and cumbersome on the first couple listens is a masterpiece in disguise, but Crack Up really turned out to be that for me, a complex and rich album that really rewarded the time I invested in trying to wrap my brain around what it was doing. I'll certainly keep listening to this though. "Sunblind" is great.

Sat September 26, 2020 3:51 pm

Sat September 26, 2020 5:16 pm

chewm wrote:
Strat wrote:
chewm wrote:
Strat wrote:

I love Husker Du (Sugar's first record is my favorite of his records though), I'm admittedly not as much of a production freak as most people here, but also arent you like... a big mats fan?

Fucking love the mats. SO much.

Sat September 26, 2020 8:34 pm

me too! I was just saying because these albums didn't necessarily sound much better than Husker Du lol (but I get you)

Sat September 26, 2020 9:45 pm

I love Sunshine Rock and still listen to it quite a lot

Sun September 27, 2020 11:35 pm

Fleet Foxes suck. Fucking Gap commercial ass music.

Mon September 28, 2020 5:27 am

Mickey wrote:Fleet Foxes suck. Fucking Gap commercial ass music.

Not a fan either.

Mon September 28, 2020 6:33 am

How's that thurston album, vg?

Mon September 28, 2020 12:51 pm

washing machine wrote:How's that thurston album, vg?

Havent listened yet, guess today is the day.

Wed September 30, 2020 10:57 pm

Ey, new Manson album is pretty good.

Wed September 30, 2020 11:04 pm

That's good to hear. I liked The Pale Emperor but haven't really been keeping up.

Wed September 30, 2020 11:06 pm

I appreciate Heaven Upside Down, but this one is way better. Really like the 80s horror movie vibes, and the acoustic guitars, and the bass. There is actually groove in most of the songs.

Really his best in a long long time.
Post a reply