Red Mosquito
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/

Albums of 2020
http://forums.theskyiscrape.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14743
Page 18 of 27

Author:  tragabigzanda [ Thu June 25, 2020 1:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

SICK! Right up my alley. Will spin this album tomorrow. Thanks Brett!

Author:  E.H. Ruddock [ Fri June 26, 2020 3:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

HAIM's new album is pretty great

Author:  tragabigzanda [ Fri June 26, 2020 3:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
HAIM's new album is pretty great

Might try this today

Author:  bodysnatcher [ Fri June 26, 2020 4:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

That’s a band I just can’t get into

Author:  tragabigzanda [ Fri June 26, 2020 10:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
HAIM's new album is pretty great

Might try this today

I LOVE this album. Haven’t connected with their earlier stuff, but the production on this is a blast. All sorts of ear candy, and great pop songwriting to boot. Going to spin it for a second time tonight while making dinner.

Author:  verb_to_trust [ Sat June 27, 2020 3:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

I watched a Fender Play live stream with J Mascis. He said he finished a new Dinosaur Jr. album during the lock down and that it would be out at some point. Hope that means by the end of the year.

Author:  VinylGuy [ Sat June 27, 2020 3:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

verb_to_trust wrote:
I watched a Fender Play live stream with J Mascis. He said he finished a new Dinosaur Jr. album during the lock down and that it would be out at some point. Hope that means by the end of the year.


what did he played? Lou Barlow also teased about the new album coming out.

Author:  verb_to_trust [ Sat June 27, 2020 4:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

VinylGuy wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
I watched a Fender Play live stream with J Mascis. He said he finished a new Dinosaur Jr. album during the lock down and that it would be out at some point. Hope that means by the end of the year.


what did he played? Lou Barlow also teased about the new album coming out.


Some dork from Fender just asked him guitar questions for an hour. Some of them J just sort of sat there and didn't respond to it was kind of funny. They did a few mini lessons on Feel the Pain and Start Choppin. Gave away a Jazzmaster to someone that wasn't me. He played a riff from the new album but couldn't make much of it. I didn't know that J knows basically no music theory for guitar.

Author:  tragabigzanda [ Sat June 27, 2020 4:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

J used to come into a restaurant I worked at in Amherst pretty regularly. Super awkward dude. Monosyllabic.

Author:  Birds in Hell [ Sat June 27, 2020 4:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

Unless I'm mistaken (and I admit I didn't watch it), I think the "dork from Fender" was Nick Reinhart, singer/guitarist from Tera Melos:


Author:  LetMeSleep [ Sat June 27, 2020 4:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

tragabigzanda wrote:
J used to come into a restaurant I worked at in Amherst pretty regularly. Super awkward dude. Monosyllabic.

You don’t say.

Author:  tragabigzanda [ Sun June 28, 2020 3:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

tragabigzanda wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
HAIM's new album is pretty great

Might try this today

I LOVE this album. Haven’t connected with their earlier stuff, but the production on this is a blast. All sorts of ear candy, and great pop songwriting to boot. Going to spin it for a second time tonight while making dinner.

Have listened to this five times I think? Loving it more and more. The gimmick is definitely on the nose: “Imagine is Wilson Phillips did a Sheryl Crow song; and now a Feist song; Fleetwood Mac; Grimes; Carly Rae Jepsen...”

But I don’t care. The compositions are really great, the production is a blast, and there’s a noticeable restraint to it all — the vocals never overpower the music, and they really let the instrumentation breathe where it needs to. Simultaneously very mature and very fun.

Author:  VinylGuy [ Sun June 28, 2020 3:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

verb_to_trust wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
I watched a Fender Play live stream with J Mascis. He said he finished a new Dinosaur Jr. album during the lock down and that it would be out at some point. Hope that means by the end of the year.


what did he played? Lou Barlow also teased about the new album coming out.


Some dork from Fender just asked him guitar questions for an hour. Some of them J just sort of sat there and didn't respond to it was kind of funny. They did a few mini lessons on Feel the Pain and Start Choppin. Gave away a Jazzmaster to someone that wasn't me. He played a riff from the new album but couldn't make much of it. I didn't know that J knows basically no music theory for guitar.


cool.

Yeah J is a super weird dude. I always felt bad for Lou and those first years.

Author:  Mickey [ Sun June 28, 2020 11:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

Mickey wrote:
I agree that the soccer mommy album is underwhelming but I'm not feeling the same thing here. My favorite songs from Stranger in the Alps were "South Street" and "You Missed my Heart," so while I really like "Kyoto" I'm loving this one's quieter moments. Also "I Know The End" rules.


The more I listen to this the better it gets. In the running for AOTY for me.

Author:  VinylGuy [ Sun June 28, 2020 11:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

yeah i love it too.

Got a little sidelined these last couple of days with Neil´s Homegrown and his discography, but ill come back to it soon.

Author:  Higgs [ Mon June 29, 2020 2:36 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

Pottery are a group out of Canada somewhere's who released their first long player earlier this year. I found it on one of those Reddit posts about "sub-genre albums of the year so far", in this case "post punk" (which is always a genre I'm interested in). What a great discovery! Funky with great guitar and drum work, and always interesting.

Here's album closer "Hot Like Jungle" (which is for sure the most down-tempo thing on the album):


Author:  chewm [ Mon June 29, 2020 5:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

I dig it! ill check out the album soon

Author:  Bammer [ Mon June 29, 2020 5:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

1985 called and would like that Pottery song back

Author:  chewm [ Mon June 29, 2020 7:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

kinda hilarious that out of every rmer, bammer would be the one to make that post

Author:  super nintendo chalmers [ Mon June 29, 2020 3:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Albums of 2020

Anyone check out the new Hum record? All the Gen Xer's on my TL were creaming over it. I haven't had a change to listen yet.

Page 18 of 27 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/