The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 50  Next
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2020
PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 2:42 am 
Posting (live)

Take your beloved Elvis Costello.

I've heard enough of him to know that I don't like his jazzy stuff. Plus I don't really like much if any jazz.

10 seconds is more than enough then.

For this artist, I can tell from her voice and delivery that it'll only piss me off.

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 2:46 am 
tl;dr

Jorge wrote:
Man I've also gotten a bit more impatient and curmudgeonly about music as I've gotten older but I sure am glad I'm not at the point where I'm deciding if I like a song after less than 10 seconds

Generally I agree with this, and I've eaten crow on a lot of music. But I do think sometimes you just know. We have this radio station in town that bills itself as a kind of eclectic, anything-goes station, but what it really means is that is plays a lot of run-of-the-mill white singer-songwriters that aren't overbearingly popular but aren't remarkable in any way. It's a lot of stuff like this:

This type of thing is easily 10-seconds-and-done for me. But only because I've heard a lot of other music like this and I've had the same kind of reaction to all of it.

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 2:59 am 
Production Police

Kevin Davis wrote:
Jorge wrote:
Man I've also gotten a bit more impatient and curmudgeonly about music as I've gotten older but I sure am glad I'm not at the point where I'm deciding if I like a song after less than 10 seconds

Generally I agree with this, and I've eaten crow on a lot of music. But I do think sometimes you just know. We have this radio station in town that bills itself as a kind of eclectic, anything-goes station, but what it really means is that is plays a lot of run-of-the-mill white singer-songwriters that aren't overbearingly popular but aren't remarkable in any way. It's a lot of stuff like this:

This type of thing is easily 10-seconds-and-done for me. But only because I've heard a lot of other music like this and I've had the same kind of reaction to all of it.

Bingo. I feel like my life is hurtling towards expiration at an alarming rate. I'm not necessarily interested in hearing another coffee shop style singer-songwriter.

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 3:29 am 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, if im not interested i wont listen to it. But i might come back later, sometimes, years later.

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 6:46 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

tragabigzanda wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Jorge wrote:

Bingo. I feel like my life is hurtling towards expiration at an alarming rate. I'm not necessarily interested in hearing another coffee shop style singer-songwriter.

Yep, I clicked that to see what KD was exampling and I lasted pretty much exactly 10 seconds.

I'm not often like that though, but sometimes you just know. I appreciate that I risk missing some stuff that I may actually end up quite liking. But I'm willing to take that gamble if the desire to press stop kicks in strong enough.

PostPosted: Tue October 27, 2020 10:21 am 
Posting (live)

The new Kevin Morby is quite delightful.

PostPosted: Fri October 30, 2020 3:49 am 
AnalLog

Oops, I fell behind on updating this last week, but the fourth track from Constellation's Corona Borealis series is "Gates of Heaven" by Jason Sharp, an 18 minute layered improvisation on solo bass saxophone recorded in a synagogue in Madison, Wisconsin that bears the same name as the track.

Here's the video by Guillaume Valée:

And the track on Bandcamp:
https://jasonsharp.bandcamp.com/track/gates-of-heaven

This week's fifth track is "Emerald Teeth" by T. Gowdy. It's in much the same vein as his album from this year, Therapy with Colour, which I've found kinda boring, so this is one that might end up my least favorite of the Corona Borealis tracks, but it's got some things going for it when I'm in the mood for this particular brand of stuttering minimal techno.

Video by Kai Luen Liang:

Bandcamp link:
https://tgowdy.bandcamp.com/track/emerald-teeth

PostPosted: Thu November 05, 2020 9:47 pm 
Rank This Poster

New Vennart (Oceansize) album out tomorrow

Streaming now:

https://vennart.com/album/1762176/in-the-dead-dead-wood

PostPosted: Fri November 06, 2020 12:58 am 
AnalLog

Beat me to it. I've gotta give that a listen when I get home.

PostPosted: Fri November 06, 2020 2:51 am 
Rank This Poster

Brett wrote:
Beat me to it. I've gotta give that a listen when I get home.

Prob my fav of his solo stuff

PostPosted: Fri November 06, 2020 2:13 pm 
AnalLog

Ordered the Vennart CD on Bandcamp. Hell yeah! :bammer:

Anyway, here's some more new stuff:

Constellation's sixth Corona Borealis single is "Mirror Cracks Seeking Interiority" by Fly Pan Am. Lockdown put the kibosh on FPA's triumphant return to touring this year (they had been on hiatus for 15 years), as well as prematurely ended their run as the live soundtrack for the Animals of Distinction dance project, Frontera. Instead the band has spent the year experimenting on new ways of making music, including remixing some of their Frontera material. This new piece is the first result of those experiments, essentially solo material from each of the band's four members all collaboratively remixed and stitched together into a coherent whole.

Here's the video by Charline Dally:

And the Bandcamp page for the track:
https://flypanam.bandcamp.com/track/mirror-cracks-seeking-interiority

Last year, Joni Void released his second full-length under that moniker, Mise En Abyme which included on one song a collaboration with vocalist N Nao. This blossomed into a greater collaboration that saw the two begin performing as a duo in Montreal and has now resulted in their first album together, Nature Morte, now out on the French label Laaps. It's a lovely surrealist montage of electronic production and ambient vocalizations. Bandcamp:

TSU! is the moniker for solo work released by Turkish musician James Hakan Dedeoglu, who I know of as a collaborator with the Montreal band Esmerine. Dedeoglu has been releasing TSU! music since 2012 and his fifth album, Maritime is out now. It's an album of psych-influenced Anatolian instrumental folk, primarily featuring Dedeoglu on various guitars and sounds as well as contributions from some other Turkish musicians (producer/bassist Mert Aslan Uçer, percussionist Berke Can Özcan, and keyboardist Ekin Sanaç) as well as Esmerine co-founder Bruce Cawdron. Bandcamp:

PostPosted: Fri November 06, 2020 11:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

2 new system somgs after 15 years....

PostPosted: Sat November 07, 2020 3:11 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

But the drummer is a Trump supporter. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat November 07, 2020 4:36 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Wonder where these songs will rank on joey’s list of 5600 albums he’s ranked so far

PostPosted: Sat November 07, 2020 1:02 pm 
Rank This Poster

if you dont know Vennart or his work with Oceansize (one of my fav bands ever), give this a shot:

PostPosted: Sat November 07, 2020 2:46 pm 
Production Police

bodysnatcher wrote:
Wonder where these songs will rank on joey’s list of 5600 albums he’s ranked so far

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat November 07, 2020 3:18 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

bodysnatcher wrote:

Remember when you gave me shit for making a list of thirty albums?!

PostPosted: Sat November 07, 2020 4:17 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

psychobain wrote:
if you dont know Vennart or his work with Oceansize (one of my fav bands ever), give this a shot:

I am unfamiliar. But super interested. I'll start with the new Vennart record and if I dig that I'll listen to some Oceanside.

What's the best Oceansize to start with?

PostPosted: Sat November 07, 2020 5:02 pm 
AnalLog

epilogue wrote:
psychobain wrote:

I am unfamiliar. But super interested. I'll start with the new Vennart record and if I dig that I'll listen to some Oceanside.

What's the best Oceansize to start with?

Not sure what 'bain would say, but my recommendation would be Everyone into Position since I think it's got the best songs or Self-Preserved While the Bodies Float Up since it covers the most stylistic ground and is closest to what Vennart's doing on his own.

PostPosted: Sat November 07, 2020 7:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

i agree
start with Everyone into Position
stunning record

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 984 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 50  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands