The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Eagles
PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 7:57 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Their documentary is one of the best. Talks about every album, every member (including why some left), nothing is hidden, and you get to hear how their best songs were made. Plus there is a lot of music.

PostPosted: Sat June 30, 2018 9:46 pm 
Rank This Poster

I've been digging I can't tell you why as of late.. really chill awesome tune

One of the few eagles tunes not sung by Don or Glen

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2023 1:06 am 
Major Dude

So, I’ve gone thru the last couple of decades pretty much hating The Eagles. My old roommate absolutely, positively, incontrovertibly burned me out on them. He played my cds EVERY SINGLE NIGHT to the point where when he moved out in ‘96(?) I gave them all to him. My desire to ever listen to them again forever quashed. Could still handle some of the solo material, especially Joe Walsh and The End if the Innocence is s still one of my favorite songs, but an actual Eagles song? No fucking way.

A few weeks back, I found a history of them in a used book store for a buck or two so I bought it. After finishing it a couple of days ago I actually kinda want to do a deep dive on them. Other than the Hotel California album, I never had or listened to any of their complete studio albums. I had that, their live album and he had one of their greatest hits albums and the reunion album. So I’m starting from the beginning and going thru their stuff including the Henley and Frey solo stuff. (Already been thru the Walsh catalogue). So let’s see if I burn out on them again.

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2023 4:53 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

wease wrote:
So, I’ve gone thru the last couple of decades pretty much hating The Eagles.

Same, man.

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2023 9:46 pm 
Future Drummer

wease wrote:
So, I’ve gone thru the last couple of decades pretty much hating The Eagles. My old roommate absolutely, positively, incontrovertibly burned me out on them. He played my cds EVERY SINGLE NIGHT to the point where when he moved out in ‘96(?) I gave them all to him. My desire to ever listen to them again forever quashed. Could still handle some of the solo material, especially Joe Walsh and The End if the Innocence is s still one of my favorite songs, but an actual Eagles song? No fucking way.

A few weeks back, I found a history of them in a used book store for a buck or two so I bought it. After finishing it a couple of days ago I actually kinda want to do a deep dive on them. Other than the Hotel California album, I never had or listened to any of their complete studio albums. I had that, their live album and he had one of their greatest hits albums and the reunion album. So I’m starting from the beginning and going thru their stuff including the Henley and Frey solo stuff. (Already been thru the Walsh catalogue). So let’s see if I burn out on them again.

It's actually a pretty good ride, not a huge discog either.

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2023 11:05 pm 
Major Dude

Made it thru the first three-and-a-half albums so far. As of now, there’s only one non-hit track that I can honestly say I really, really liked. Too Many Hands from One of These Nights. A Meisner/Felder track. It brings the sauce.

I’m cooking supper right now. I’ll give more detailed reviews later.

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2023 11:54 pm 
Rank This Poster

Train leaves here this morning
Doolin Dalton
Wasted time
Pretty maids all in a row

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2023 5:31 pm 
Major Dude

Eagles-

Starts out with arguably their signature tune: Take it Easy then right into Witchy Woman. Wow. Great 1,2 punch. Goes into a pretty unremarkable Chug All Night by Frey. He’s definitely wearing his Detroit/Bob Segar on his sleeve with this. Most of Us Are Sad and Nightingale are blah. Train Leaves Here This Morning sounds like a CSN track left off Deja Vu. Take The Devil is boring. Earlybird has some promise. Like that one. Then to the other hit from the album, Peaceful Easy Feeling. Great tune. The last track, Tryin’, is ok.

A debut album that yields three hit tunes is pretty impressive. Unfortunately, not much of the rest of the album is very remarkable. Earlybird and Tryin’ are pretty much the only two I could ever see myself listening to again. Interesting to note there are zero Henley/Frey co-writes on the album and indeed, Henley’s only writing contribution is Witchy Woman with Leadon. Frey, Meisner and Leadon all had three tracks and Jackson Browne had two. That’s twice as many as Henley and he’s not even in the band!

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2023 6:17 pm 
Major Dude

Desperado-

Sophomore album is not so much a concept album as it is themed. As a whole it is certainly more cohesive than the debut but suffers much like its predecessor in that, apart from the well-known songs, there’s not much else to remember. The songwriting gets flipped with Henley/Frey getting eight co-writes out of the 14 tunes on the album.

Doolin-Dalton is a good lead off but I didn’t really care for Twenty-One or the Segar-esque Out of Control. However, thematically speaking, it’s serves as a great lead in to Tequila Sunrise then right into the title track. I actually never knew Desperado had not been issued as a single. Very surprising. Certain Kind of Fool has absolutely GOT to be an influence on The Wild One Forever by Tom Petty (one of my favorites by him) as the opening chords and vocal melody are pretty much the same. This cut pales in comparison to the later Petty track, however. Outlaw Man is a Neil Young outtake that should’ve been left off this album, too. (It’s not really a NY tune). Keeping with the CSNY sounds, Saturday Night is an ok tune. Bitter Creek is the first non-hit, deep cut that I can actually say I absolutely DIG. Really like this one. A dark Leadon track that winds the album down well. I had never heard the “extra” lyrics/music offered by the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (reprise) that closes the record. Interesting to hear.

Overall, while not having as many chart successes from the album this is a better, more pleasing album to listen to while offering such well-known cuts like Desperado and Doolin-Dalton.

Very interesting to note this is Joe’s favorite album while acknowledging that he hates western movies.

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2023 6:54 pm 
Major Dude

On The Border-

Wanting to somewhat move away from the shit-kicking and more towards the rocking, Don Felder is brought in as additional guitar/vocals. And they turn it up with Already Gone and Felder solo work to start it off. You Never Cry Like A Lover is the first track I’ve come across that I absolutely can’t stand. Midnight Flyer is an ok bluegrass pop song, nothing great. My Man is totally filler. On The Border is an ok R&B rocker, nothing great. James Dean was a moderate hit that, for me, is nothing really special. Ol’ 55 is a Tom Waits tune that could’ve stayed a Tom Waits song. Is It True? is another mediocre track. A Good Day in Hell is a groovy Detroit by way of Muscle Shoals tune with some Felder slide work. Then their first number one single, Best of My Love, closes it out.

While Henley/Frey have writing credit for half of the tracks the rest of the album is a conglomeration of writers with Meisner having one, Leadon having one co-write with Frey/Henley and newcomer Felder having none. Frequent collaborators JD Souther and Jackson Browne have a few credits between them on this one.

Like the first album, not much here but the well known hits. A couple I could listen to again, but pretty much forgettable otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue March 21, 2023 8:47 pm 
Major Dude

One of These Nights-

Fourth album. Should be settled in, songwriting getting better and for the most part it is. Opening with the title track it starts off VERY strong. Recorded in the same studio while The Bee Gees were recording Main Course, inspiration was certainly drawn from them with the falsetto vocals and four-on-the-floor bass drum. Their second number one and deservedly so. As mentioned previously, Too Many Hands is by far the best deep cut I’ve heard by them. Outstanding tune written by Felder and Meisner, it checks all the boxes. Hollywood Waltz is a forgettable ballad. Journey of the Sorcerer is a pretty cool moody instrumental piece. Then onto another that could be considered a signature tune, Lyin’ Eyes. Only made it to number 2 but what a track. The imagery, the story. The only track Frey sang solo lead vocals on for the entire album and it’s a masterpiece. From there to Meisner’s signature piece, Take It to The Limit. Fantastic tune, but the outro goes on too long for me and I keep waiting wanting it to end. After that it drops off significantly. Visions is a nothing song followed by two ballads, After the Thrill is Gone and I Wish You Peace, that are total snoozers and really bring the album down. The latter is notable for being co-written by Leadon and Patti Davis, Leadon’s girlfriend at the time.

Henley has six co-writes while Frey has five. This album includes the best of their partnership and the worst. Meisner and Felder held their own with their one collaboration and Leadon’s tunes are for the most part pretty forgettable.

For an album whose three singles were all at least top 4 in the charts, the tail end of it really brings it down. If they had stopped at six tracks and made it an EP or something the overall product would’ve been much better served. As it is, those last three tunes really drop it in my eyes.

PostPosted: Thu March 23, 2023 2:01 am 
Major Dude

Hotel California-

Their concept album dedicated to the slavish decadence and debauchery of life in California. Gone is the primary country influence, Leadon, and we are introduced to Joe Walsh as an Eagle. Already a known quantity with James Gang and Barnstorm they traded country licks with flat-out rock riffs.

The opening, title track paves the road we’re going down and is arguably the band’s best known song. Almost cinematic in scope it tells of the loss of innocence from which there can be no escape. It has two of the most perfect notes on guitar ever played and recorded. A more vivid image of subject matter you’d be hard pressed to find. Next is the most country-esque track on the album, New Kid in Town. A nice ditty that harkens back to On The Border or One of These Nights. Moving down the line, we find Walsh’s most popular contribution to the Eagles catalogue, Life In The Fast Lane. Full disclosure, I never get tired of hearing this riff. Telling the story of Henley’s real life relationship, it’s a pretty honest look at life for a rich couple whose only reason to be together is sex, drugs and maybe a little rock ‘n’ roll. Continuing the tale, we get to Wasted Time. Again from Henley’s actual relationship, he wrote it pretty much as a message to his now ex-girlfriend. This one used to absolutely gut me in the aftermath of a relationship I was in years ago and I had actually forgotten about the connection between them. But when that first note hit, I was back 30 years ago. Uncanny. (Incidentally, the same girl that End of the Innocence never fails to bring back in my mind). End side one, side two opens with Wasted Time (reprise). Unnecessary and yes, a waste of time. Victim of Love, recorded instrumentally live with only vocals overdubbed, is a good rocker that I haven’t heard in quite a while. It was nice to revisit it. Nice slide work from Walsh. One of my favorites. Now we’re to Walsh’s second offering, Pretty Maids All in a Row. A beautiful ballad with Walsh’s only lead vocal on the album. Now, we get into somewhat of a pattern as the last two, Try and Love Again and The Last Resort just totally kill the back half of the album. The same thing happened with the previous release, One of These Nights, and I guess they just decide to start putting the weakest tunes at the very end. With this being one of the “best albums of all time” I expected each and every track to be top shelf and it definitely fails to deliver on that score.

Interesting to note the continued reversal of the dynamic between Frey and Henley. Frey only had lead vocals on one tune on the last album and that’s repeated here. While they still share a co-write on 7 of the albums 9 tracks, Henley is all but the lead vocalist for the band now.

This is the only studio album I ever had of theirs so I was familiar with most of the material on here. The re-visit basically just reinforces the fact that their biggest songs are also their best. I always assumed Wasted Time was released as a single since it’s pretty widely known. Same for Pretty Maids. On to the end…

PostPosted: Thu March 23, 2023 10:37 pm 
Future Drummer

I enjoy Hotel California from beginning to end personally but one thing that has been steadfast across all releases are their harmonies. Even when a less than stellar track pops up on shuffle, I always find myself saying "damn they sound good"

PostPosted: Thu March 23, 2023 10:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I wonder what a venn diagram of RM croc wearers and those RMers who like The Eagles would look like

PostPosted: Thu March 23, 2023 11:00 pm 
Future Drummer

PostPosted: Thu March 23, 2023 11:18 pm 
Rank This Poster

Rangi Guy wrote:
I wonder what a venn diagram of RM croc wearers and those RMers who like The Eagles would look like

I'm dead center

PostPosted: Thu March 23, 2023 11:49 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

In that diagram, I’d be wearing a dirty robe driving down the street with Credence thinking about how my rug really ties the room together.

PostPosted: Thu March 23, 2023 11:55 pm 
Major Dude

oasisfan35 wrote:
I enjoy Hotel California from beginning to end personally but one thing that has been steadfast across all releases are their harmonies. Even when a less than stellar track pops up on shuffle, I always find myself saying "damn they sound good"

Can’t argue with that.

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 3:18 pm 
Major Dude

The Long Run-

After getting tired of it all and REALLY not wanting to sing Take It to the Limit anymore, Meisner’s gone. In comes Timothy B Schmit. Coincidentally enough, the very man who replaced Meisner in Poco some eight years prior. (Guess it’s a good thing Meisner didn’t join and ahi some other band after the Eagles.) Already known from Poco and being a top session man, Schmit brings his bass, high pitched vocals and a Top-10 hit with him.

Starting off again with a title track, The Long Run is their version of some good down-home Memphis soul. It hits the mark with a dual slide run that mimics a horn section pretty well. Pretty ironic lyrics as the singers asks who is going to make it in the long run with the band pretty much falling apart by this point. From here we go to the Schmit tune, I Can’t Tell You Why. A “blue-eyed soul” ballad that is a great showcase for Schmidt’s incredible voice. Really great tune. Next up is Walsh’s contribution, In The City. Already recorded and released by Walsh on the soundtrack to The Warriors, the band changed the arrangement slightly and re-recorded it for inclusion on the album. Now we get into unfamiliar territory. The Disco Strangler is one of the oddest rhythms they ever recorded. And I like it. It’s just so different from anything they’d done it made it very interesting. Which is my same feeling for King of Hollywood. Again, sounds nothing like anything else. Dig it. On to side two and Frey’s only solo lead vocal on the record, Heartache Tonight. A co-write between him and Henley along with longtime contributor JD Souther and old time Frey buddy, Bob Segar, this is, in my view, Frey’s best vocal ever recorded. He truly nails it. Then onto a tune I always thought was a single but apparently wasn’t, Those Shoes. I’ve always dug this one. The music, with the talkbox riff is just so down and sludgy. The album closes with three more I’d never heard before. Teenage Jail is another that is pretty different and I enjoyed it. The Greeks Don’t Want No Freaks however, is not all that different and actually reminded me a lot of their prior tune, James Dean. Didn’t care for it. The Sad Cafe wasn’t necessarily all that different, but I did enjoy it.

So really, only one tune from the whole thing I didn’t like and that’s better than any other album I’ve listened to. Nine out of the 10 tracks were Frey/Henley cowrites with the Walsh cover being the one that’s not and most of them worked for me. Funny how the best album for me is the one that was recorded in so much turmoil.

Next up, the contractually obligated one more album.

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2023 11:43 pm 
Major Dude

I want to hear Susan Tedeschi sing Wasted Time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands