The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: Re: Kanye- Yeezus
PostPosted: Sat June 22, 2013 7:00 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
dissident32 wrote:
An interesting read: http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/in-defe ... -self-love

Quote:
The concept of vanity is so rooted in the idea of a singular narcissist that it can be hard to catch that Kanye speaks almost from a populist perspective — a populist narcissism, if you will. Granted, the thematic focus on community vs. the personal has evolved from College Dropout to Yeezus, but take a second and remember the very first song on Kanye’s first album. He has a chorus of children singing, “We wasn’t supposed to make it past 25 / Joke’s on you, we still alive / Throw your hands up in the sky / And say we don’t care what people say.” If you chalk up his “we don’t care what people say” attitude to simply his ego, then you have missed the point entirely. This isn’t about ego; this is about boldly asserting yourself in a world that is not meant for you. This is a vanity that is rooted in bringing the community up with you. To the ire of some who are so wrapped up in the anxiety of respectability, the message he gives the kids (in front of all these white folks who are listening to his music!) is not to be modest but to unapologetically laugh in the face of a world that does not care about them. The joke’s on you, white America. We made it, and we don’t even have the decency to be grateful. We’re laughing. We dare to laugh.

I'm white.

I think this drastically over analyzes Kanye as an artist. He's a douchebag, and he's always been a douchebag...this naturally comes out in his music. I don't think its really part of any carefully constructed message to white america.
what do you know, cracker.

PostPosted: Thu July 04, 2013 7:45 pm 
Rank This Poster

good

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 1:39 am 
Rank This Poster

One good girl is worth a thousand bitches

:bammer:

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands