The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post subject: Re: Music sounding "dated"
PostPosted: Wed December 01, 2021 12:42 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
When?

Pages 1 and 2. And since the inception of the board.

PostPosted: Wed December 01, 2021 1:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

That’s a lot of posts to read through.

PostPosted: Wed December 01, 2021 4:26 pm 
tl;dr

Kevin Davis wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The only contemporary style of music I really listen to is rap and pop, and I think it’s “time sound” is already very apparent. Spacey synth, “Migos flow,” etc.

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. Come to think of it, there have been quite a few occasions (nu-metal and pop punk being just two examples that jump to mind) where the recurring tropes of a genre are readily apparent at the time, but I never think of them in those terms until well after the fact -- perhaps because it's impossible for something to remind you of a time that is currently happening? I don't know.

Birds in Hell wrote:
It's by no means a hard and fast rule but I think I can find contemporary art or music more misleading (in that it sounds good to me at the time and terrible in hindsight) in a way that never or rarely happens with something from an earlier period.

I would probably agree with this, percentagewise, though I have never thought of it in this way before. An obvious exception being my Doors phase of 1998-99.

Ever since liebzz did his journey, I have really been enjoying the Doors again. This take feels a bit dated in hindsight

PostPosted: Wed December 01, 2021 6:15 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
That’s a lot of posts to read through.

Correct.

PostPosted: Wed December 01, 2021 6:32 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
The only contemporary style of music I really listen to is rap and pop, and I think it’s “time sound” is already very apparent. Spacey synth, “Migos flow,” etc.

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. Come to think of it, there have been quite a few occasions (nu-metal and pop punk being just two examples that jump to mind) where the recurring tropes of a genre are readily apparent at the time, but I never think of them in those terms until well after the fact -- perhaps because it's impossible for something to remind you of a time that is currently happening? I don't know.

Birds in Hell wrote:
It's by no means a hard and fast rule but I think I can find contemporary art or music more misleading (in that it sounds good to me at the time and terrible in hindsight) in a way that never or rarely happens with something from an earlier period.

I would probably agree with this, percentagewise, though I have never thought of it in this way before. An obvious exception being my Doors phase of 1998-99.

Ever since liebzz did his journey, I have really been enjoying the Doors again. This take feels a bit dated in hindsight

Glad to be of service. I need to do another journey and soon. Hopefully something that isn’t too dated (had to).

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands