The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 166  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kanye West
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:46 pm 
The Master

There’s absolutely an element of performance art to what he’s doing. There always is. Always has been.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:57 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I dont whats more exhausting, kanye´s tweets or LV´s performance act defending him.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:06 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Click for thread:

Entertaining read

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:07 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

LV is that kid that just found and bought a device on eBay to make his cock bigger. Upon delivery he’s opened the package to discover a magnifying glass. Don’t worry about it. He’ll get over it soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Click for thread:

Entertaining read

that's radiohead fan level

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:29 pm 
The Master

It’s hard to see with no eyes

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:34 pm 
The Master

I wouldn’t even really say I’m defending him, to be fair. Just trying to clarify some of his behavior based on my own feelings about him and his art, which I’ve obsessed over for a while now.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:51 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I wouldn’t even really say I’m defending him, to be fair. Just trying to clarify some of his behavior based on my own feelings about him and his art, which I’ve obsessed over for a while now.

He’s not well and needs help. He’s not a genius. He’s not bringing us to some new level. He’s not even adding anything worth hearing. He’s clearly a young man crying for help. You get that right?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

i totally understand what you're getting at and coming from, LV.

i think the detrimental part of what he is doing is that is that to millions of black americans in this country, he's a HUGE influence and important cultural figure. and to them, what he's doing isn't understandable and probably feels like a betrayal. there's going to be a HUGE amount of people in the world that don't understand or appreciate performance art (if that's what this is). even when explained to people, there's a large chance it won't click, or won't seem legitimate, or won't seem important.i fucking hate performance art. that's everyone's right to see it that way. they'll take the visuals and actions at face value. art isn't as important to a majority of people than it is to a lot of others. it doesn't affect their day to day life. so for him to shift from someone who people can listen to and relate to and exonerate demons with.... to something they find offensive and confusing .... it's going to have to be one fuck of an album and statement to regain a lot of trust, especially within the black population. and even then, it might not be enough. and whether Kanye knows that or not, i don't know, but if past actions are any indication, if people don't come crawling back and celebrate him, he won't understand why.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:14 am 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

i totally understand what you're getting at and coming from, LV.

i think the detrimental part of what he is doing is that is that to millions of black americans in this country, he's a HUGE influence and important cultural figure. and to them, what he's doing isn't understandable and probably feels like a betrayal. there's going to be a HUGE amount of people in the world that don't understand or appreciate performance art (if that's what this is). even when explained to people, there's a large chance it won't click, or won't seem legitimate, or won't seem important.i fucking hate performance art. that's everyone's right to see it that way. they'll take the visuals and actions at face value. art isn't as important to a majority of people than it is to a lot of others. it doesn't affect their day to day life. so for him to shift from someone who people can listen to and relate to and exonerate demons with.... to something they find offensive and confusing .... it's going to have to be one fuck of an album and statement to regain a lot of trust, especially within the black population. and even then, it might not be enough. and whether Kanye knows that or not, i don't know, but if past actions are any indication, if people don't come crawling back and celebrate him, he won't understand why.

I totally understand where you're coming from too. And, as evidenced by earlier posts in this thread, the Trump and MAGA stuff has been as bitter a pill for me as anyone else.

I will say, though, that I don't think it's the role of an artist to be a "trusted" cultural voice. Kind of the opposite, really. "Trusted" is another way of saying "safe." And art shouldn't be safe. Art should shake. It should upset. It should disrupt. It should cause cognitive dissonance and make a person's mind wrestle with things they don't understand yet. Kanye has never tried to be safe or trusted. He, like any great artist, has always been interested in exploration, in provocation, in evolution, in challenging ideas.

And, frankly, it's hard to imagine any American art being challenging right now if it merely conforms to accepted liberal thought patterns. That's also a huge part of why the Roseanne revival feels unique and honest and genuine and real - how can you truly make something that engages and provokes and challenges without addressing the schism at the core of American culture in a way that feels uncomfortable?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:44 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Interesting takeaways from the last couple of exchanges in this thread. If Kanye's performance piece isn't resonating with the majority of his audience, is that on him or them? He's a terrible communicator, as has been pointed out multiple times here, but I'd wager that much of the music consuming public is equally terrible at receiving these complex ideas.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:33 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Basics really coming out in full force now

Ive avoided this thread because of this post. I didnt want to be that and who gives a shit what strat has to say about Kanye and this new thing he has going on.

However, im relaxing and wanted to chime in.

A friend of mine worked a bit with him in the Studio i believe in Eau Claire a couple years back. he may have stopped by to work some with Justin Vernon? Anywho, my friend said that Kanye absolutely just puts on a show. He used the phrase, and this may have come from Kanyes mouth, "Fucking with the stupid american public"

So, there is that. How truthful that is im not sure but it appears to me this is what he does. I dont think its fair to call him a genius or anything by saying something willfully ignorant and stupid just to cause a reaction. There isn't anything Genius about it but he has a great gimmick and clearly its worked for him. It's how he works his own PR and he has that right.

But, I dont think he's a mad genius or some incredible performance artist. I think that is just a way for you (someone like you, a kanye fan) to feel better about his ridiculous antics. If you didnt love his music, you wouldnt feel that way. We make fun of Eddie Vedder and retrat to "yea, your rich, shut up about cant deny me, go bang your model". Its what super fans do. We all do. I'm guilty of it. Trump supporters are guilty of it.

Its best to just call Kanye an idiot and state "but i love his music so whatever".

Kanye does Kanye and its worked for him. I personally think this new shtick is incredibly awful and I dont think he is being some common man bringing the people together by defying liberals and their ideas about what views certain individuals should have.

Trumpism is bullshit, ignorant, awful, hateful, and a shit stain on the country and there should be no room tolerating it. I know LV feels the same because he's made comments in N&D similar to that thought.

If Kanye truly believes what he is saying about Trump then.....True Colors have shown? Or he is just a rich person now who benefits from his policies as he is so far removed from the streets? I mean, he's a tv celebrity/personality now as well...

If he is just pimping the stupid american people, then I think this new episode is dangerous and he should respect his platform and outreach a bit more.

Ultimately, if someone loves his music then fine but lets call a spade a spade.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:33 pm 
The Master

And my friend also said that Kanye might actually be a homosexual and the kardashian thing is a one big ruse.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:35 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
lets call a spade a spade.

wow

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:36 pm 
The Master

Strat wrote:
And my friend also said that Kanye might actually be a homosexual and the kardashian thing is a one big ruse.

your friend sounds like a very reliable source

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:36 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Strat wrote:

your friend sounds like a very reliable source

He's a sound engineer and record producer that worked with him. Did i offend you or something, lv?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:37 pm 
The Master

nah

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:38 pm 
The Master

well good because i wasn't trying to nor was i directing anything directly towards you.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:41 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

What's actually wrong with being basic?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:42 pm 
The Master

washing machine wrote:
What's actually wrong with being basic?

Its all i know! I don't know the other side.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 166  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands