The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Weezer
PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 4:45 am 
slower than 82% of US

new album out today. Has a Maladroit sound to it. After a first listen there isn't much that stands out, but nothing really bad. Par for the course these days?

Post subject: Re: Weezer
PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 6:36 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

funny lyrics on Back to the Shack.

Why does he sound like the dude from Phoenix? Why does everyone sound like the dude from Phoenix?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 6:47 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

It's too bad weezer went to shit. I even enjoyed the red album. I was listening to Rivers on Marc Maron the other day and Rivers mentioned that Pinkerton getting panned basically ruined his confidence. It's interesting to think what Weezer would have been if Rivers had stuck to his guns, and not gone into exile for 5 years working out the Green album which ultimately sucked.

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 10:33 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Even Green has some good ideas and solid melodies (I really love "Smile" and "Simple Pages") but yeah, it's completely safe and formulaic, a direct reaction to Pinkerton's crushing critical and commercial failure. Maladroit is a very fun album with some really good tunes. After that, though? Mostly dreck. A few salvageable singles ("Pork and Beans" and "If You're Wondering..." are catchy pop songs with some zest to them) but mostly a lot of really confusing artistic decisions. This new single "Back to the Shack" made me kinda sad to listen to, because it feels like such a statement of utter defeat. "Hey, we tried some crap, but here's more rock music for you. We like rock music, right? Doesn't this kinda sound like the Blue album? It totally sounds like the Blue album. Fight to get it back again, yeah yeah yeah yeah."

I listened to Pinkerton again the other day. Floored. Still one of my favorite albums.

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 12:25 pm 
RM Elitist

theplatypus wrote:
"Hey, we tried some crap, but here's more rock music for you. We like rock music, right? Doesn't this kinda sound like the Blue album? It totally sounds like the Blue album. Fight to get it back again, yeah yeah yeah yeah."

Im glad I didnt get impatient and start writing my fight to get it back again post before realizing jorge already had done so.

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 1:28 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

But it's so blatant, and maybe even honest. In any case, there is no forgiving Beverly Hills, and this band is creatively bankrupt, if they were ever really creative in the first place, but I appreciated the apology.

But seriously, Beverly Hills is unforgivable.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 1:44 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

BurtReynolds wrote:
But it's so blatant, and maybe even honest. In any case, there is no forgiving Beverly Hills, and this band is creatively bankrupt, if they were ever really creative in the first place, but I appreciated the apology.

Oh man that song makes me rage

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 1:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I loved Make Believe. I thought was a top three Weezer album, their best since Pinkerton. The Red Album was fun, some nice songs, some forgettable songs. The best stuff was left off the album. Ms Sweeney is one of my all time favorite by them.

Then I didn't really listen to anything after that. I've been listening to this new one for about a week now and I like it a lot.

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 1:51 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
I loved Make Believe... top three album...

that is Stippian in its grotesque absurdity.

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 1:57 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Seriously, Make Believe is one of my least favorites. "We Are All On Drugs"? "My Best Friend"? Fuck that album. The only worthwhile song in there may be "Peace".

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 2:06 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

theplatypus wrote:
Seriously, Make Believe is one of my least favorites. "We Are All On Drugs"? "My Best Friend"? Fuck that album. The only worthwhile song in there may be "Peace".

Yep, Peace is a good one.

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 2:21 pm 
The Master

The Rivers Cuomo episode of WTF is kind of insane. That guy is scary, man. I felt like Maron was walking on eggshells the whole time.

Do you think Cuomo has ever killed anyone?

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 3:05 pm 
AnalLog

Have you guys listened to the whole album? Back to the Shack is a mess but there are actually some really nice tunes on this one.

I think it'll sit right alongside Maladroit and Green which I put at 3 & 4.

much better than the last two and if we don't count the Red b-sides it's better than that one as well as Make Believe

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 4:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:

It's so goofy and shameless. It's got it's heart on its sleeve and lacks any pretension. And there's so much energy. It's a bouncy record that's just fun to listen to. And did I mention it's so fucking goofy?! I love it.

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 4:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

gardenparty wrote:
Have you guys listened to the whole album? Back to the Shack is a mess but there are actually some really nice tunes on this one.

much better than the last two and if we don't count the Red b-sides it's better than that one as well as Make Believe

I think, in the end, I'll like this one more than Make Believe. It's still too new, for me. But I really like it. It'll probably take that number 3 spot before too long.

And I hated Maladroit. Which makes me a bad Weezer fan. But whatever.

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 4:30 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

It's so goofy and shameless. It's got it's heart on its sleeve and lacks any pretension. And there's so much energy. It's a bouncy record that's just fun to listen to. And did I mention it's so fucking goofy?! I love it.

You listed all the reasons why I love Blue. Unfortunately I don't hear much of that on Make Believe. I just hear crappy songs.

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 4:38 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
theplatypus wrote:

You listed all the reasons why I love Blue. Unfortunately I don't hear much of that on Make Believe. I just hear crappy songs.

Sure. Blue is WAY better. There's a significant drop-off from Blue to Make Believe. But in context, coming out of what I thought was a disaster of an album, it felt good and familiar without feeling too shopworn and repetitive.

Pinkerton and Blue are still my two favorites. Those albums will always be two of my favorite albums from the 90s by any band. They've been real hit/miss since. This new one has some legs, I think. And Make Believe is the only other album they've released that I listened to from beginning to end with anything resembling regularity. But even at that, it's been a year or more since I've spun it.

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 5:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

i used to think the most severe and high-profile case of a great band completely cratering its career was weezer, but it's actually pearl jam now

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 6:08 pm 
AnalLog

durdencommatyler wrote:
gardenparty wrote:

I think, in the end, I'll like this one more than Make Believe. It's still too new, for me. But I really like it. It'll probably take that number 3 spot before too long.

And I hated Maladroit. Which makes me a bad Weezer fan. But whatever.

I have a lot of trouble with the majority of Make Believe but I put "Haunt You Everyday" as a top 10 weezer song. I enjoy "Hold Me" a lot and "Perfect Situation" is an excellent single

I didn't really care for the singles on Maladroit but love the songs like Slob, Slave, Take Control and Death and Deconstruction. Much darker vibe

PostPosted: Tue October 07, 2014 7:58 pm 
Broken Tamborine

BurtReynolds wrote:

Beverly Hills pretty much killed this band for me. There were a couple of ok songs on Make Believe, but I haven't checked out anything since. I think the only song I've heard is Pork and Beans, which was just ok.

Blue Album - Maladroit was a nice run though. Blue & Pinkerton were awesome, Green was decent. I love Maladroit, some good heavy, kinda dark stuff on there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands