The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 2:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed November 06, 2013 9:16 pm
Posts: 586
I am strangely curious to hear what a Stephen Malkmus electronic album sounds like in 2019.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Mon January 07, 2013 5:30 pm
Posts: 1054
The second Constellation release of 2019 is the new Joni Void album, Mise En Abyme. It's supposed to be more meditative than his previous, Selfless, and introspectively samples a variety of electronic devices from his childhood to the present, including phones, cameras, video games, and home movies among a variety of other sound sources. Here's a sample of the album, "Dysfunctional Helper":


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Tue January 22, 2019 8:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 17971
Location: Illinois
psychobain wrote:
Strat wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Ryan Adams apparently has three coming out this year. Hope he gets rid of the Kenny Loggins sound he has been using on his last several releases. Frist two songs off of Big Colors are underwhelming though so I don't have my hopes up.


I've been off the Ryan Adams train for a while (I stopped paying attention after the 2005 trilogy). What's the last record his fans generally consider to be better than halfway decent?

Since 2005???

Ashes and fire, Cardinology, and Easy Tiger are all top notch Ryan Adams albums.

Varying degrees of excellent on the last two (s/t and prisoner). Verb hates them but mostly he can't get over the guitar tone and production - which i understand.


S/T was great


GiMMiEE SuMting GoOD! GiMMi SoMThan GuD! GiMMiEE Something GUuuuhhhuuuddd!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 2:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:47 pm
Posts: 2167
Thats my least fav on s/t

_________________
It's not our house that we remember,
it’s a feeling outside it when everyone's gone but we leave all the lights on anyway.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Wed January 23, 2019 3:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 17971
Location: Illinois
Kim is good I guess


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Sat January 26, 2019 1:47 pm 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 6404
Image
Listened to this about five times last night on repeat -- a lovely record, characteristically exquisite guitar playing, though I think he's losing some of the wide-open sprawl of his sound as he shortens his pieces and adds extra instruments. Has a very Frisellian, "Good Dog Happy Man"-esque vibe, never a bad thing in my book.

Kevin Davis wrote:
I find even my favorite Adams albums ("Heartbreaker," "Gold," "Love is Hell," "29") to be pretty inconsistent, but the best stuff on those albums is really great. "Cold Roses" is one that I know is a big fan favorite but never did much for me, though it's admittedly been a long time since I've listened to it. Around 2005-06 I got into other stuff and just lost track of him, along with a lot of the other indie/rock artists I was into in the early 2000's. I know I've heard some scattered tracks since then but can't remember which songs were from which album. Looks like multiple mentions for "Easy Tiger" so maybe that's a good place to dive back in.


This was a total flop of an experiment, by the way. Painfully middle-of-the-road. This is his best stuff of the last 15 years?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Sat January 26, 2019 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:47 pm
Posts: 2167
JAMES BLAKE...anybody?

that album is :heartbeat:

_________________
It's not our house that we remember,
it’s a feeling outside it when everyone's gone but we leave all the lights on anyway.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Sun January 27, 2019 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 2569
The new greensky bluegrass album is an early album of the year candidate


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2019 8:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Fri March 22, 2013 7:20 pm
Posts: 10241
Location: 41.1716° S, 174.8248° E
If the rumours are true there's meant to be a new Tool album in a few months. At the moment that's the only thing on my radar really

_________________
"I really enjoy sandwiches but the other guys are so good at making sandwiches that I don't make them. Now I make sandwiches."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2019 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed September 14, 2016 5:07 pm
Posts: 1837
Location: WI
Kevin Davis wrote:
Image
Listened to this about five times last night on repeat -- a lovely record, characteristically exquisite guitar playing, though I think he's losing some of the wide-open sprawl of his sound as he shortens his pieces and adds extra instruments. Has a very Frisellian, "Good Dog Happy Man"-esque vibe, never a bad thing in my book.


:thumbsup: Do you know who the band is on this one?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2019 11:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 13447
Location: Space City
Blaine Ryan wrote:
I am strangely curious to hear what a Stephen Malkmus electronic album sounds like in 2019.


Kraftwerk. It will soundlike Kraftwerk.

Probably Ween too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2019 3:34 am 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:06 pm
Posts: 6404
tmcs wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Image
Listened to this about five times last night on repeat -- a lovely record, characteristically exquisite guitar playing, though I think he's losing some of the wide-open sprawl of his sound as he shortens his pieces and adds extra instruments. Has a very Frisellian, "Good Dog Happy Man"-esque vibe, never a bad thing in my book.


:thumbsup: Do you know who the band is on this one?


William Tyler: acoustic guitar.
Bradley Cook: bass guitar, synths, piano, Omnichord, vibraphone, mandolin.
Meg Duffy: electric guitar, loops.
Griffin Goldsmith: drums and percussion.
James Anthony Wallace: pianos, organ, vibraphone.
Bill Frisell: electric guitar on “Our Lady of the Desert”.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2019 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed September 14, 2016 5:07 pm
Posts: 1837
Location: WI
Kevin Davis wrote:
tmcs wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Image
Listened to this about five times last night on repeat -- a lovely record, characteristically exquisite guitar playing, though I think he's losing some of the wide-open sprawl of his sound as he shortens his pieces and adds extra instruments. Has a very Frisellian, "Good Dog Happy Man"-esque vibe, never a bad thing in my book.


:thumbsup: Do you know who the band is on this one?


William Tyler: acoustic guitar.
Bradley Cook: bass guitar, synths, piano, Omnichord, vibraphone, mandolin.
Meg Duffy: electric guitar, loops.
Griffin Goldsmith: drums and percussion.
James Anthony Wallace: pianos, organ, vibraphone.
Bill Frisell: electric guitar on “Our Lady of the Desert”.


Thanks. That's a nice lineup. Dawes, Megafaun/HGM, and Phil Cook and Kevin Morby's bands all represented.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2019 4:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed September 14, 2016 5:07 pm
Posts: 1837
Location: WI
New Josh Ritter is nice. I'm guessing that slide solo at the end is courtesy of Jason Isbell?



Kinda ripping himself off, though.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2019 5:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Mon October 26, 2015 9:30 pm
Posts: 518
Kevin Davis wrote:
Image
Listened to this about five times last night on repeat -- a lovely record, characteristically exquisite guitar playing, though I think he's losing some of the wide-open sprawl of his sound as he shortens his pieces and adds extra instruments. Has a very Frisellian, "Good Dog Happy Man"-esque vibe, never a bad thing in my book.

Kevin Davis wrote:
I find even my favorite Adams albums ("Heartbreaker," "Gold," "Love is Hell," "29") to be pretty inconsistent, but the best stuff on those albums is really great. "Cold Roses" is one that I know is a big fan favorite but never did much for me, though it's admittedly been a long time since I've listened to it. Around 2005-06 I got into other stuff and just lost track of him, along with a lot of the other indie/rock artists I was into in the early 2000's. I know I've heard some scattered tracks since then but can't remember which songs were from which album. Looks like multiple mentions for "Easy Tiger" so maybe that's a good place to dive back in.


This was a total flop of an experiment, by the way. Painfully middle-of-the-road. This is his best stuff of the last 15 years?



I just watched this guy play a solo set opening for Ty Segall. He set up on a tiny stage in the middle of the floor. I had my drink on the stage. It was absolutely spell binding to watch him play guitar. He went to set his guitar in its stand and it tipped over, casually with my drink in my hand I caught it with my other. His face was priceless.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2019 8:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Wed November 06, 2013 9:16 pm
Posts: 586
tmcs wrote:
New Josh Ritter is nice. I'm guessing that slide solo at the end is courtesy of Jason Isbell?



Kinda ripping himself off, though.


Huh. That's...not what I was expecting. I like it, though.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2019 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 17971
Location: Illinois
Mike Krol's Power Chords is a nice little blast of energy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2019 4:41 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:23 am
Posts: 2979
Location: The In Between
theplatypus wrote:
Fellas, is it gay to like women? Think about it, they got butts. Men got butts. It's like you're halfway to liking a man.


I’ve really transitioned into an assman in the past few years. Guys’ butts are not the same. I’d never eat a man’s ass.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2019 4:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 62794
daft twat wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Fellas, is it gay to like women? Think about it, they got butts. Men got butts. It's like you're halfway to liking a man.


I’ve really transitioned into an assman in the past few years. Guys’ butts are not the same. I’d never eat a man’s ass.

buttz only do it for me on occasion...i'm forever a boobs guy though

what are you eating right now?

_________________
VinylGuy wrote:
This is the definitive battle rap movie ever.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2019 4:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 17971
Location: Illinois
Anybody listen to Sunshine Rock by Bob Mould yet? Pretty impressive.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sun June 16, 2019 3:10 pm