The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2019 4:24 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I completely forgot: Jason Isbell is producing the new Josh Ritter album that's coming out this year. Can't wait for that.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2019 5:28 pm 
Blaine Ryan wrote:
I completely forgot: Jason Isbell is producing the new Josh Ritter album that's coming out this year. Can't wait for that.

I'm nervous about this. I love Ritter and Isbell, but my least favorite thing about Isbell is his dull-ass band, and they're the backing band on the album.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2019 5:53 pm 
Broken Tamborine

guestT wrote:
Blaine Ryan wrote:

I'm nervous about this. I love Ritter and Isbell, but my least favorite thing about Isbell is his dull-ass band, and they're the backing band on the album.

I'm hoping it's more stripped down ala Southeastern. I agree that the band can be kind of dull, but I've also loved Isbell's last two records with them, so I'm optimistic.

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2019 6:56 pm 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
And the new Strand of Oaks album! First track is great. MMJ as the backing band....

https://www.stereogum.com/2028623/stran ... VNLxHnRdiU

Loving this! Sure hope they are backing him on the tour. Some nice intimate rooms

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2019 6:59 pm 
AnalLog

First Constellation release of 2019 is, Sequence One, the debut LP of Light Conductor, a Montreal electronic duo consisting of producer/musicians Jace Lasek and Stephen Ramsay (of The Besnard Lakes and Young Galaxy, respectively). Modular synthesizer music that traces a lineage from kosmiche, through ambient, and into shoegaze.

Here's a truncated version of the opening track, "A Bright Resemblance":

PostPosted: Tue January 15, 2019 7:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

looking forward to the new Coathangers album

PostPosted: Wed January 16, 2019 5:15 am 
Gone

Ryan Adams apparently has three coming out this year. Hope he gets rid of the Kenny Loggins sound he has been using on his last several releases. Frist two songs off of Big Colors are underwhelming though so I don't have my hopes up.

PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 6:38 pm 
The Master

Oh man. New Sharon Van Etten is absolutely hitting my sweet spot.

PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 6:39 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:

I need to get this.

PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 6:41 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:

I need to get this.

Ill definitely be picking this up on Vinyl.

PostPosted: Fri January 18, 2019 6:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:

I need to get this.

Ill definitely be picking this up on Vinyl.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 3:14 am 
Rank This Poster

She's one of those people who I've kept hearing about but I never actually heard anything from her, but I just heard Seventeen for the first time yesterday. And holy shit that's good. I'm definitely getting that record.

PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 4:17 am 
tl;dr

verb_to_trust wrote:
Ryan Adams apparently has three coming out this year. Hope he gets rid of the Kenny Loggins sound he has been using on his last several releases. Frist two songs off of Big Colors are underwhelming though so I don't have my hopes up.

I've been off the Ryan Adams train for a while (I stopped paying attention after the 2005 trilogy). What's the last record his fans generally consider to be better than halfway decent?

PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 4:31 am 
Broken Tamborine

Kevin Davis wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

I've been off the Ryan Adams train for a while (I stopped paying attention after the 2005 trilogy). What's the last record his fans generally consider to be better than halfway decent?

I personally love Prisoner, which is his most recent (though I'm guessing from the "Kenny Loggins" comment that verb doesn't care for it).

PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 4:31 am 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Since 2005???

Ashes and fire, Cardinology, and Easy Tiger are all top notch Ryan Adams albums.

Varying degrees of excellent on the last two (s/t and prisoner). Verb hates them but mostly he can't get over the guitar tone and production - which i understand.

PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 4:38 am 
Gone

Easy Tiger was the last one I thought was good. Ashes and Fire has a few top songs but falls flat otherwise.

The production has been terrible but it's also the quality of backing band. He's had some really average dudes involved and definitely hasn't had a drummer any good since Brad Pemberton.

PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 4:42 am 
Broken Tamborine

I'm not a big fan of Ashes and Fire. I find that album really dull, for the most part. But he hasn't really missed for me outside of that (not counting Orion or 1989, which...don't count).

PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 5:38 am 
The Master

The lines played by the symphony and horns is just soooooo addictive

PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 6:48 am 
tl;dr

Strat wrote:
Since 2005???

Ashes and fire, Cardinology, and Easy Tiger are all top notch Ryan Adams albums.

Varying degrees of excellent on the last two (s/t and prisoner). Verb hates them but mostly he can't get over the guitar tone and production - which i understand.

verb_to_trust wrote:
Easy Tiger was the last one I thought was good. Ashes and Fire has a few top songs but falls flat otherwise.

The production has been terrible but it's also the quality of backing band. He's had some really average dudes involved and definitely hasn't had a drummer any good since Brad Pemberton.

Blaine Ryan wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Ashes and Fire. I find that album really dull, for the most part. But he hasn't really missed for me outside of that (not counting Orion or 1989, which...don't count).

I find even my favorite Adams albums ("Heartbreaker," "Gold," "Love is Hell," "29") to be pretty inconsistent, but the best stuff on those albums is really great. "Cold Roses" is one that I know is a big fan favorite but never did much for me, though it's admittedly been a long time since I've listened to it. Around 2005-06 I got into other stuff and just lost track of him, along with a lot of the other indie/rock artists I was into in the early 2000's. I know I've heard some scattered tracks since then but can't remember which songs were from which album. Looks like multiple mentions for "Easy Tiger" so maybe that's a good place to dive back in.

PostPosted: Sat January 19, 2019 2:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

Strat wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Since 2005???

S/T was great

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands