The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Albums of 2019
PostPosted: Mon July 29, 2019 3:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Brett wrote:
bune wrote:
I mean, it's subjective because it's music, right? I feel like the musicianship on the last album was sublime, but then I don't like (to pick a band) Ghost because - again - it's subjective.

I've heard them compared to Mumford & Sons and I can see the comparison, but the difference for me is that the female vocalist in OMAM elevates the material whereas M&S are just bad.

Of course it's all subjective. I only know a couple of the band's singles, and I've never really enjoyed them. I think it was "Little Talks" that I first heard, and it sounded to me like a watered down hybrid of Sigur Rós and Arcade Fire.

I don't often trash talk stuff I don't like, because it's a waste of time to do so, but the conversation you and Higgs were having about how 'bland' this new record is just left such an easy opening to make that quip. No harm was intended.

lol, no worries.

PostPosted: Wed July 31, 2019 4:07 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Aussie guitar-driven bluesy band Swazi Gold released an album recently titled Jehovah's Whispers. Here's Reflections from it. I dig the groove.

PostPosted: Wed July 31, 2019 8:33 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

iAbuseAnimals wrote:
It's a bit weird to have both a Chastity Belt and a Julia Shapiro solo album released a few months apart but hey I'll take it I love these guys

I heard the Julia Shapiro record and must say I'm a tad underwhelmed. Not bad but nothing really reaching out and grabbing me at this stage.

Love that Chastity Belt single though.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2019 3:09 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Continuining my ongoing discussion with myself in this thread, today's offering is Chris Forsyth's newie All Time Present. As I described it elsewhere, guitar lead, a little Crazy Horse, a little Talking Heads. Here's Mystic Mountain:

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2019 3:20 am 
Production Police

Thanks Higgs. I have listened to your recent recs, here’s some brief thoughts:

Strand of Oaks: This is beautiful. I’d heard his/their name for a while but hadn’t listened, but I’m all in. I downloaded their album a few days ago but have only listened to a few songs. I’ll report back more soon. Thanks for posting!

Wand: It’s fine. It didn’t repel me but it didn’t grab me.

Chemical Bros: It’s disappointing that they’ve hardly evolved since their mid-90s heyday. Daft Punk does their thing a hundred times better, while other artists like Venetian Snares and Flying Lotus have rendered straight-forward electronic/rave music pretty stale, to my ears. This song is by no stretch bad...but I don’t get any sense of the energy I did back in the day (Surrender was the last CB album is really enjoyed, FWIW).

Swazi Gold: Holy shit this is bad. It’s wverythjnf that’s wrong with modern music production: “What if we played old blues riffs over stock drum machine sounds?” Awful.

Your description of Chris Forsyth is compelling, I’ll give it a listen tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2019 3:48 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Ha! Thanks for the feedback trag, you're a good egg. Fwiw I'm quite content posting away these bits and pieces in my little vacuum, I enjoy finding new music and have always used RM as a source, so just trying to give back a little.

I legit lol'd at your Swazi Gold comment. One of the numerous things I love about music is it's base level subjectivity. Of course its all personal opinion and preference, but still it amazes me when I hear someone bag something that I enjoyed. It amazes me in a good way though 'cause whatever floats your boat is alright with me. I also very much enjoy your take on things as you often come at things from a production pov, which for whatever reason is not something that I tend to focus on (unless it sticks out at me obvious-like). So that gets me thinking about stuff a little differently, and that too is mighty cool.

Keep on ritfw trag.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2019 3:57 am 
Production Police

For the record, the inimitable JJ Cale built his career on blues riffs and drum machines, so I’ve git no issue with that sound at face value. I just found this song so uninspired.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2019 10:36 am 
Posting (live)

That Forsyth album is good.

PostPosted: Thu August 01, 2019 2:31 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I listened to the Strand of Oaks this morning and really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri August 02, 2019 4:10 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

OK, so today we move onto proto-metal, groove/afro-beat instrumental territory. I am always very wary when I hear the term "afro-beat" because I've been stung before. I'm drawn to the idea but usually left underwhelmed by the output.

Having said that, Budos Band have been doing this stuff for some time now, generally with pleasing results. Their 2014 album Burnt Offerings was some pretty awesome stoner-fare that was described as "Fela Kuti jamming with Black Sabbath" - what's not to like about that? This year they've released their new album V.

Anyways, here's album opener Old Engine Oil, it tells you all you need to know.

PostPosted: Fri August 02, 2019 4:15 pm 
AnalLog

really enjoying these the last few weeks or so, the majority will likely end up on my year end list.

Attarazat Addahabia & Faradjallah - Al Hadaoui
Bill MacKay - Fountain Fire
Fire! Orchestra - Arrival
Full Of Hell - Weeping Choir
Not Waving/Mark Lanegan - Downdwelling
SPAZA - SPAZA
Sunn O))) - Life Metal
The Quiet Temple - The Quiet Temple
Uboa - The Origin Of My Depression
Xiu Xiu - Girl With Basket Of Fruit
Xiu Xiu - Haitian Drums: Girl With Basket Of Fruit

PostPosted: Fri August 02, 2019 5:16 pm 
Rank This Poster

Black pumas and strange ranger new albums are both great

PostPosted: Tue August 06, 2019 4:48 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Tyler Ramsey is the lead guitarist from Band of Horses, just released his solo album "For The Morning". It's got a West Coast, valley-vibe, not dissimilar to the Strand of Oaks album from this year (which makes sense as it shares a drummer/engineer with that album). Country twinged, middle of the road, the review I read compared this with Neil, Jackson Browne, Justin Vernon and, on this track in particular, The War on Drugs. Here's A Dream of Home.

PostPosted: Wed August 07, 2019 7:23 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Yeah I dig that.

PostPosted: Thu August 08, 2019 1:31 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Jake Xerxes Fussell has released a collection of deep south ballads entitled Out of Sight. This is the first time he's worked with a full band and I have to say I really appreciate the fuller more complete sounding results.

This is a really enjoyable collection of American folk and blues, put together and delivered in a beautiful way. Another great album for throwing on to get through the office workday, I think I'll be coming back to this one often. Here's The Rainbow Willow:

PostPosted: Thu August 08, 2019 1:34 am 
Mind Your Tanners

!!! I knew Jake and his wife back in Mississippi. Rad to see that he's getting some much deserved attention.

PostPosted: Thu August 08, 2019 5:26 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Mickey wrote:
!!! I knew Jake and his wife back in Mississippi. Rad to see that he's getting some much deserved attention.

mickey, you lived in MS? whereabouts?

PostPosted: Thu August 08, 2019 12:40 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Fujiya & Miyagi are 80's electro funk revivalists. How good does that sound?? Their album "Flashback" is incredibly aptly named, and for mine is fucking excellent. Such a fun and engaging listen. I guarantee if you throw this on at your next gatho the results will be all feet tapping and likely a few more of your buds deciding to park the car and call a cab, staying for an extra beer or three. Here's Gammon:

PostPosted: Thu August 08, 2019 1:11 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

bodysnatcher wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Oxford

PostPosted: Thu August 08, 2019 4:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Mickey wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Oxford

Ouch.

(I went to the other school

But really, Oxford is way better)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands