The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2018 Rimmy Awards: top 5 albums
PostPosted: Wed December 19, 2018 7:27 pm 
tl;dr

tragabigzanda wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
I am probably the least liberal person on RM, trag. Just because you have a sense of perspective on where your credible experience begins and ends doesn't mean you don't possess the capacity to empathize.

There is a lot of music-related discourse on the internet in which white people explain to other white people how to listen to black music. Perhaps these people are experts. It rarely seems so.

I can’t make any sense out of that first paragraph. And political leanings are irrelevant. Substitute enlightened, sensitive, or anything in that vein and I’ll stand by my point that withholding an opinion on another person’s experience when your personal experience gives you a reasonable frame of reference is a horrible and cowardly way to engage in discourse around race/culture.

"Liberal" was your word, not mine! Sorry if I misinterpreted what you meant by it.

That said, what you call "reasonable frame of reference" is kind of what I'm talking about. I think people are oftentimes poor at recognizing what "reasonable frame of reference" is, and then they extrapolate that limited experience in ways that come across as reductive. I think you have misinterpreted my comments as to suggest that one should never comment on matters of race unless one can do so firsthand, and that is not what I meant to say. I really just meant to say that this subject, as most do, benefits from judiciousness and self-awareness, and that is not always the default mode of people on the internet (myself included). My flip comment was not the best way of expressing that, so I apologize if it seemed like I was slighting you personally; I'm really referring to the whole conversation, including the other side which inevitably rebuts with some variation of "OMG you're so old and clueless, Pearl Jam message board, etc. etc." My suspicion is that the people we're so confident we can speak on behalf of, on this subject and others, would read these conversations and draw the conclusion that we're all a bunch of know-nothings.

PostPosted: Wed December 19, 2018 8:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I just logged in but haven’t read the last page of this thread yet. WTH happened?!

PostPosted: Wed December 19, 2018 8:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bodysnatcher wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
off the top of my head...

Young Fathers — Cocoa Sugar
Wooden Shjips — V
Mudhoney — Digital Garbage
Khruangbin — Con Todo El Mundo
A.A.L. — 2012-2017

getting this back on track, i'd be remiss if i didn't give honorable mentions to Father John Misty's "God's Favorite Customer"

:wave: platypus!

Totally in my top 10. But not top 5, as the thread requires.

PostPosted: Wed December 19, 2018 8:28 pm 
Polluted

Reid it and post a summary please. I'd like to know too.

PostPosted: Wed December 19, 2018 8:36 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Wooden Shjips — V
A.A.L. — 2012-2017

getting this back on track, i'd be remiss if i didn't give honorable mentions to Father John Misty's "God's Favorite Customer"

yeah, same.
unless you're jorge and post all 30 albums you listened to this year.

PostPosted: Wed December 19, 2018 8:38 pm 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
I am probably the least liberal person on RM, trag. Just because you have a sense of perspective on where your credible experience begins and ends doesn't mean you don't possess the capacity to empathize.

There is a lot of music-related discourse on the internet in which white people explain to other white people how to listen to black music. Perhaps these people are experts. It rarely seems so.

I can’t make any sense out of that first paragraph. And political leanings are irrelevant. Substitute enlightened, sensitive, or anything in that vein and I’ll stand by my point that withholding an opinion on another person’s experience when your personal experience gives you a reasonable frame of reference is a horrible and cowardly way to engage in discourse around race/culture.

"Liberal" was your word, not mine! Sorry if I misinterpreted what you meant by it.

That said, what you call "reasonable frame of reference" is kind of what I'm talking about. I think people are oftentimes poor at recognizing what "reasonable frame of reference" is, and then they extrapolate that limited experience in ways that come across as reductive. I think you have misinterpreted my comments as to suggest that one should never comment on matters of race unless one can do so firsthand, and that is not what I meant to say. I really just meant to say that this subject, as most do, benefits from judiciousness and self-awareness, and that is not always the default mode of people on the internet (myself included). My flip comment was not the best way of expressing that, so I apologize if it seemed like I was slighting you personally; I'm really referring to the whole conversation, including the other side which inevitably rebuts with some variation of "OMG you're so old and clueless, Pearl Jam message board, etc. etc." My suspicion is that the people we're so confident we can speak on behalf of, on this subject and others, would read these conversations and draw the conclusion that we're all a bunch of know-nothings.

Re: the bold part — yes, this was my read on it, and I appreciate the clarification. More than that, I appreciate your taking the time to elevate the dialogue when I myself wasn’t willing to do that.

I’m sorry for being a jerk. While I stand by my views, my delivery sucked. That’s more or less been my MO the last couple weeks — “radical honesty” as I try to shake off some bad interpersonal habits on the path to sobriety. Wife and I have been bickering about pointless shit for the last few days, and I’m underslept, and so I dove into short-tempered self-righteousness.

PostPosted: Wed December 19, 2018 9:12 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

bodysnatcher wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Wooden Shjips — V
A.A.L. — 2012-2017

yeah, same.

More writing + video editing work means I listened to (and reviewed) a shitload of new albums this year, including God's Favorite Customer. DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MY OPINION OF IIIIIIIT?

PostPosted: Wed December 19, 2018 9:16 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Self wrote:

Verb asks if any album will match the long-term significance of seminal releases from the past such as Appetite for Destruction. Joey posits that Kendrick Lamer's DAMN could fit. LV counters with Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Trag says this can't be the case because it didn't have universal enough appeal. This spirals into a weird conversation about who is qualified to speak for people of color in a largely white message board. The point is that it's all over and we're friends again.

PostPosted: Wed December 19, 2018 9:18 pm 
The Master

I said it wouldn’t because it has no staying power! There’s no denying its universal success upon release.

PostPosted: Wed December 19, 2018 9:18 pm 
The Master

But otherwise yes good summary

PostPosted: Wed December 19, 2018 9:25 pm 
The Master

Current mood

PostPosted: Wed December 19, 2018 9:47 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I saw a kid on Washington Ave on Halloween trick-or-treating in a Black Panther costume (with his dad) and I almost did the "Wakanda Forever" salute to him. But I didn't because I was worried they would think I was making fun of them and being racist. But I was really just super excited t see him dressed up.

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 12:05 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

theplatypus wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Wooden Shjips — V
A.A.L. — 2012-2017

yeah, same.

More writing + video editing work means I listened to (and reviewed) a shitload of new albums this year, including God's Favorite Customer. DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MY OPINION OF IIIIIIIT?

no

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 12:06 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bodysnatcher wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:

Wooden Shjips — V
A.A.L. — 2012-2017

yeah, same.

no

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 2:37 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

tragabigzanda wrote:
Current mood

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 10:40 am 
Future Drummer

theplatypus wrote:
This spirals into a weird conversation about who is qualified to speak for people of color in a largely white message board.

Are we designating POCs for discussing POCs?

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 10:52 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

As the resident person of color (2% Black, rounded up), I will allow it.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 1:21 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I do miss the huge crossover albums and bands. I guess cause they were great introductions in different styles of music. Everyone gets obsessed and then start wondering who influenced them and who influenced the influencer and next thing you know you're down the rabbit hole. Don't know if that happens now. I'm way out of it and my kids are too young for me to get any sort of anecdotal evidence out of them. They just listen to what we listen too. My eight year old goes nuts when I put on old school rap. He likes the old stuff cause there are multiple MCs and he loves when they finish each others sentences. I don't know if there are any new acts that do that. Seems like its all solo artists now and it seems like they all have that monotone delivery and auto tune everywhere. Its not for me. My wife will put on Top 40 and I swear its the same girl signing on every song they all sound the same. I'm that guy now.

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 2:38 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

After reading all of the last few pages, I was prepared to say that Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is one of those cultural touchstone albums, but then I realized that it’s over ten years old and doesn’t qualify for verb’s 2010’s criteria.

Time flies.

PostPosted: Thu December 20, 2018 2:38 pm 
Polluted

theplatypus wrote:
Self wrote:

Verb asks if any album will match the long-term significance of seminal releases from the past such as Appetite for Destruction. Joey posits that Kendrick Lamer's DAMN could fit. LV counters with Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Trag says this can't be the case because it didn't have universal enough appeal. This spirals into a weird conversation about who is qualified to speak for people of color in a largely white message board. The point is that it's all over and we're friends again.

Thanks for the summary, Jorge; I knew I could count on you to break it down so a layman, such as myself, could easily understand.

Is Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy the auto-tune one? I don't like that one. I get auto-tune fatigue by the about halfway through the second track.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands