The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Arctic Monkeys
PostPosted: Wed August 24, 2022 4:13 pm 
Rank This Poster

Nice artwork

PostPosted: Wed August 24, 2022 11:02 pm 
Posting (live)

Underwhelming new song.

PostPosted: Thu August 25, 2022 6:06 pm 
Rank This Poster

joostone wrote:

I just took all this to mean it’s not a concept record.

Their debut will always be one of my favorite records, but if I’m being honest, except for a few tracks on AM, I’ve liked each subsequent album a little less. I wish they’d made one album of songs like Evil Twin before they went down this path. That song is a blast. Oh, and Catapult. What a b-side!

PostPosted: Thu August 25, 2022 7:06 pm 
A Return To Form

daft twat wrote:
What a fucking disappointment. They’re sticking with the Tranquility Base style for another record? You’ve got one of the best drummers in the world and he’s relegated to keeping the most boring beat imaginable. I was fine with Tranquility Base as an experimental record, but I’m not interested in that being their new norm.

Agree 100%

PostPosted: Sat August 27, 2022 3:52 am 
AnalLog

1. There’d Better Be A Mirrorball This track kind of reminds me of 'Da frame 2R'. It has a classy drive to it that makes you want to dance with style with a cigar in your mouth. Nick on bass really shines on this one.

2. I Ain’t Quite Where I Think I Am I get some Bowie vibes from this one. Song moves in and out with calm almost acapella vocal moments and then funks out with very tasteful Wah guitar playing

3. Sculptures Of Anything Goes The albums formal 'slow' song. Slow drum intro with guitar stums that last a full bar. This song also has an unusual piano solo that perfectly suits the vibe.

4. Jet Skis On The Moat Definitely the fastest song on the album. Matt opens it up with 16th notes on the high hat and never let's off the gas. This is a rock song with guitars, bass, drums and vocals. No piano or anything added. Doesn't sound too layed either. Backing vocals shine on this one.

5. Body Paint This song is the return of the Wah guitar and with a vengience. Gives off very late 60s rock vibes. With classic taste of psychedelic licks and lyrics.

6. The Car A philosophical number. This song has the most words on the album. A story with vivid imagery from start to finish.

7. Big Ideas To me this sounds like a TLSP song. The use of a string Orchestra only perpetuates this mood. There's a breakdown part where Alex either is drastically changing his voice or there is another vocalist for a breif section.

8. Hello You This is Alex's best vocal performance since 'Sweet dreams Tn'. It follows the classic AM trope of building up to a climactic moment (think 505 or do me a favor)

9. Mr Schwartz For some reason this song reminds me of the Beatles track "being for the benefit of Mr kite" not because it sounds like the song, but rather it just kinda has the same jarring vibe and unusual lyrics.

10. Perfect Sense Another slower track. I would steer clear of this one if you're going through heart break. Dreamy reverb guitars and synth drive this tune.

PostPosted: Sat August 27, 2022 3:52 am 
AnalLog

1. There’d Better Be A Mirrorball This track kind of reminds me of 'Da frame 2R'. It has a classy drive to it that makes you want to dance with style with a cigar in your mouth. Nick on bass really shines on this one.

2. I Ain’t Quite Where I Think I Am I get some Bowie vibes from this one. Song moves in and out with calm almost acapella vocal moments and then funks out with very tasteful Wah guitar playing

3. Sculptures Of Anything Goes The albums formal 'slow' song. Slow drum intro with guitar stums that last a full bar. This song also has an unusual piano solo that perfectly suits the vibe.

4. Jet Skis On The Moat Definitely the fastest song on the album. Matt opens it up with 16th notes on the high hat and never let's off the gas. This is a rock song with guitars, bass, drums and vocals. No piano or anything added. Doesn't sound too layed either. Backing vocals shine on this one.

5. Body Paint This song is the return of the Wah guitar and with a vengience. Gives off very late 60s rock vibes. With classic taste of psychedelic licks and lyrics.

6. The Car A philosophical number. This song has the most words on the album. A story with vivid imagery from start to finish.

7. Big Ideas To me this sounds like a TLSP song. The use of a string Orchestra only perpetuates this mood. There's a breakdown part where Alex either is drastically changing his voice or there is another vocalist for a breif section.

8. Hello You This is Alex's best vocal performance since 'Sweet dreams Tn'. It follows the classic AM trope of building up to a climactic moment (think 505 or do me a favor)

9. Mr Schwartz For some reason this song reminds me of the Beatles track "being for the benefit of Mr kite" not because it sounds like the song, but rather it just kinda has the same jarring vibe and unusual lyrics.

10. Perfect Sense Another slower track. I would steer clear of this one if you're going through heart break. Dreamy reverb guitars and synth drive this tune.

PostPosted: Sat August 27, 2022 2:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

How did you already hear it?

Doesn’t sound promising for what I was hoping for. I like LSP quite a bit. I flew to another city just to see them. That said, I wish my AM and LSP would stay in their respective lanes.

If there was a leak, I’d greatly appreciate a PM. I am still dying to hear it.

PostPosted: Sat August 27, 2022 10:31 pm 
AnalLog

The above was posted on reddit

PostPosted: Tue August 30, 2022 12:04 am 
AnalLog

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FY5CAz6S9kE

First single “There’d Better Be A MirrorBall”

A tad underwhelming imho

PostPosted: Tue August 30, 2022 1:34 am 
Posting (live)

Got Some wrote:

A tad underwhelming imho

PostPosted: Tue August 30, 2022 2:41 am 
jeeeesus relax already

i like this single

PostPosted: Tue August 30, 2022 2:43 am 
Rank This Poster

Got Some wrote:

A tad underwhelming imho

A tad? Ugh. This is my least favourite nightmare. Thankfully, T Swift is now releasing an album the same day.

PostPosted: Tue August 30, 2022 2:48 am 
Posting (live)

Are we at PJ stage where 4-5 listenable tracks per album is enough?

PostPosted: Tue August 30, 2022 3:16 am 
Rank This Poster

Sounds good
Nice vocals

PostPosted: Tue August 30, 2022 3:27 am 
Rank This Poster

LetMeSleep wrote:

I think it’s listenable. I’m just personally disappointed. I love The Last Shadow Puppets. I flew to another city to see them play. I just wish that Alex was satisfied with that collaboration as his outlet to croon. I want the Arctic Monkeys to rock. I don’t expect a repeat of their first record, but some crunchy guitars and hooks would be nice. And Helders has to be bored.

PostPosted: Tue August 30, 2022 3:29 am 
Posting (live)

daft twat wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

I think it’s listenable. I’m just personally disappointed. I love The Last Shadow Puppets. I flew to another city to see them play. I just wish that Alex was satisfied with that collaboration as his outlet to croon. I want the Arctic Monkeys to rock. I don’t expect a repeat of their first record, but some crunchy guitars and hooks would be nice. And Helders has to be bored.

I concur.

PostPosted: Tue August 30, 2022 3:41 am 
Rank This Poster

PostPosted: Tue August 30, 2022 4:09 am 
AnalLog

LetMeSleep wrote:
daft twat wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

I concur.

X3

Helders must be more bored than Jack Johnson’s drummer.

What a waste!!!

PostPosted: Tue August 30, 2022 8:30 am 
AnalLog

So Alex created a side-project for exactly this purpose. For all his 50s crooning tendencies, for all his lush strings. And now the Arctic Monkeys kinda sound like his other band... Of all the directions he could have take the Arctic Monkeys he took them to his only other band... So weird..

PostPosted: Thu September 29, 2022 8:36 pm 
Rank This Poster

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands